September 27, 2016, 08:31:59 PM

Author Topic: From 7D to 80D?  (Read 3500 times)

SDPhotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • SD Photography
From 7D to 80D?
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
Hello CR world. Been reading this site for some time, only post infrequently. Thought I'd get some advice.

I currently have a 7D, and have been waiting for the right set of features to appear before upgrading. It looks like the 80D might be that camera, but would like some opinions. I shoot 90%+ wildflowers/landscapes. I have a 15-85, and 60mm that are my work horse lenses, and I have no interest in full frame, it is not necessary for the work I do.

My question is: Would I see a major increase in file quality going from the 7D to the 80D? The major draws are the articulating screen and the apparent low iso banding reduction.

Thanks

SD
7D - EF-s 15-85, EF-s 60 Macro, EF 40 Pancake, EF 50 1.8 STM, EOS-M, EF-m 22 f/2

canon rumors FORUM

From 7D to 80D?
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X Mark II
Re: From 7D to 80D?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »
If you're raising shadows and increasing exposure, it will help.  If you don't feel that the 7D is limiting your ability in processing your files, then it might not be worth it.

That said, the newer cameras are nicer to use than the older ones.  The newer ones are responsive, touch to focus is nice, etc.  But that comes down to a value/cost proposition that is an individual decision.

axtstern

• EOS M3
  • EOS M(ediochre)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
I just used the old 7D on rare occasions but still I believe to ne able to give some advice.
In handling the camera, the 80D is a huge upgrade while when touching it you plunge down to the feeling of a cheap toy camera. Realy everything that felt sturdy on The 7 feels to cheap on he 80.
Filewise.... 6 Megapixel more, 2 Iso stops more and an amazing AF

SDPhotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • SD Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:37:37 PM »
Ergos are a concern for sure, I do a lot of hiking and backpacking, so I would imagine there is some sort of trade-off between weight and build. I don't have a local shop near me to try one out, so the input is much appreciated. Would love to hear more.
7D - EF-s 15-85, EF-s 60 Macro, EF 40 Pancake, EF 50 1.8 STM, EOS-M, EF-m 22 f/2

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »
I had a T2i (same sensor 7D) and see much better sharpness in my 70D. The new 80D shows even better sharpness in low ISO, and less chroma noise at high ISO.

80D definitely ended the terrible pattern noise that the old 7D had at ISO100. The articulated LCD combined with  the Dual Pixel AF, sounds like a winner to photograph flowers and landscapes. If you do not expose your camera to rain, the seal in the 80D should be good enough.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:52:39 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »
If you're raising shadows and increasing exposure, it will help.  If you don't feel that the 7D is limiting your ability in processing your files, then it might not be worth it.

That said, the newer cameras are nicer to use than the older ones.  The newer ones are responsive, touch to focus is nice, etc.  But that comes down to a value/cost proposition that is an individual decision.

Excellent comment!

Going from the 7D to the 80D, there should be a noticeable improvement in shadow lifting ability at ISO-100.
High ISO ability, though, is not much improved (although 80D files clean very nicely in Lightroom).
I think overall you will notice an improvement in image quality. 

But you should definitely consider the difference in build quality and overall feel.
The 80D is a smaller and lighter camera that definitely lacks the 'build like a tank' feeling that you must be accustomed to.
I personally don't think that the 80D feels plasticky but the 'quick control dial' definitely feels cheap.
The top LCD is on the smaller side as well.
So, overall, you will be moving to a smaller camera that won't have the solid feel and heft of the 7D.

I used to have the 40D and even though I was looking to downsize, the size/handling difference took some time to get used to.
But once you get used to the smaller size (and some of the quirks), it's really a great camera.

old-pr-pix

• Canon 70D
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »
Given neither of your primary lenses are weather sealed, I have to assume weather sealing isn't an issue for you.  I've only played w/80D in store.  It has many nice features compared to my 60D (which I'd say is 1/2 a generation ahead of the 7D), but the 80D definitely "feels" more Rebel like than the 60D.  And, of course, the 60D itself was designed to be slightly more Rebel like that the 50D, 7D and 5DII were.

AF point spread on 80D is better than 7D, but if you like the joystick you will likely be disappointed in the 80D pad and smaller wheel. 

My assessment is that the 80D is a significant step forward in IQ, AF, resolution and other features; but, it just doesn't have the same solid feel of the current generation pro- or prosumer bodies.  It will likely prove to be an excellent workhorse camera for lots of people.  It just doesn't belong on the sideline of sporting events -- I don't think it would handle heavy rain or being tackled very well.
Lots of Canon stuff -- FD, EF, EF-L, EF-S.  Olympus stuff too

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »

SDPhotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • SD Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:48:41 PM »
Thank you all for the great information, there have been some instances where I have bumped into shadow banding, but it's pretty uncommon for me. I think the combo of tilt screen and IQ will ultimately win out. The tripod I use has an articulated boom built in, so low angle and strange positions are very common.

Guess the next step is to find/rent one and see if the trade off is worth it.

Cheers

SD

whothafunk

• EOS M3
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:10 AM »
You are gonna miss the joystick (especially with so many focus points) and the big back wheel, trust me. Other than that, 80D really is a step up in regards to IQ.
1Dx -- 300L f2.8 IS USM -- 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- 24-70L f2.8 USM

Luds34

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
You are gonna miss the joystick (especially with so many focus points) and the big back wheel, trust me. Other than that, 80D really is a step up in regards to IQ.

It depends on what one shoots. In this case, the OP said that they shoot 90% flowers/landscapes. Very doubtful a joystick for switching AF points will be missed. In fact, one could argue for that style of shooting losing autofocus wouldn't be a big detriment or missed too much.  ;)

SDPhotography

• Power Shot G7X
    • SD Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
I do autofocus quite a bit, mostly when there is a breeze, AI-Servo and High-Speed with an expanded point selection. The joystick is useful but not critical. I am usually not in a time crunch for focus point selection.

Mikehit

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
Ergos are a concern for sure, I do a lot of hiking and backpacking, so I would imagine there is some sort of trade-off between weight and build. I don't have a local shop near me to try one out, so the input is much appreciated. Would love to hear more.

I wouldn't worry about the build at all.
The best fighter jets I the world are made of composite plastics so the idea of using 'plastic' ( a horrible derogatory work to describe some amazing technology) to build a camera body should not worry you one jot. Whether you like the feel of it is a different matter but don't let the idea of its lack of ruggedness discourage you. I seriously doubt you could push it beyond its limits when backpacking.

I had the 7D and now have the 7D2,  which I bought last year. To be honest if it was now then it would be a very hard decision between the 7D2 and the 80D. The main difference for me would be the frame rate because I am not pushing the 7D2 AF to its limits. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »