November 27, 2014, 08:41:28 PM

Author Topic: Question regarding ISO 50 on 5D III  (Read 10436 times)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding ISO 50 on 5D III
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
I see lots of confusion here.

Except for the EXIF flag indicating exposure, the RAW file you'll get with ISO50 @ f/8 @ 1/400 will be exactly the same as the one you'll get at ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400. The only difference is that, if the camera's meter tells you that the proper exposure is ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400, it'll tell you that you should be exposing the ISO50 shot at f/8 @ 1/200. And, of course, the RAW developers are programmed to invisibly apply a stop of digital pull to the ISO50 shot.

There will be a difference between ISO50 @ f/8 @ 1/200 and ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400 -- and it's that difference that people almost always compare.

BUT!

There won't be a difference between ISO50 @ f/8 @ 1/200 and ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/200.

And, of course, there will be a difference in the RAW files between ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400 and ISO200 @ f/8 @ 1/400.

Hope that helps clear things up....

Cheers,

b&

P.S. A very similar thing happens with highlight tone priority, except in the opposite direction. The RAW files for a given shutter and aperture will be identical between ISO100 and ISO200 + HTP, but the meter will be different. b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »

3kramd5

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

Except for the EXIF flag indicating exposure, the RAW file you'll get with ISO50 @ f/8 @ 1/400 will be exactly the same as the one you'll get at ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400. The only difference is that, if the camera's meter tells you that the proper exposure is ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400, it'll tell you that you should be exposing the ISO50 shot at f/8 @ 1/200. And, of course, the RAW developers are programmed to invisibly apply a stop of digital pull to the ISO50 shot.

There will be a difference between ISO50 @ f/8 @ 1/200 and ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400 -- and it's that difference that people almost always compare.

BUT!

There won't be a difference between ISO50 @ f/8 @ 1/200 and ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/200.

And, of course, there will be a difference in the RAW files between ISO100 @ f/8 @ 1/400 and ISO200 @ f/8 @ 1/400.

Hope that helps clear things up....

Cheers,

b&

P.S. A very similar thing happens with highlight tone priority, except in the opposite direction. The RAW files for a given shutter and aperture will be identical between ISO100 and ISO200 + HTP, but the meter will be different. b&

So basically you're saying the ISO50 setting only affects metering, not sensitivity?

If I set up at ISO100, meter dead center, take a photo, and then drop to ISO50 with all else being equal, I'll see the meter move one stop to the left, but the actual picture will be the same?
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »
So basically you're saying the ISO50 setting only affects metering, not sensitivity?

If I set up at ISO100, meter dead center, take a photo, and then drop to ISO50 with all else being equal, I'll see the meter move one stop to the left, but the actual picture will be the same?

Metering and the ISO value recorded in the metadata.  Assuming you're in manual mode (since in an AE mode, the change from ISO 100 to ISO 50 will result in a compensatory change in aperture or shutter speed to maintain metered exposure), the RAW data file will be the same - an ISO 100 exposure.  The jpg file will be pulled down a stop, and when you open the ISO 50 RAW file in an editor, it will display darker than the ISO 100 file, because the RAW editor/converter will pull the exposure down based on the ISO value in the metadata.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

3kramd5

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »

Metering and the ISO value recorded in the metadata.  Assuming you're in manual mode (since in an AE mode, the change from ISO 100 to ISO 50 will result in a compensatory change in aperture or shutter speed to maintain metered exposure), the RAW data file will be the same - an ISO 100 exposure.  The jpg file will be pulled down a stop, and when you open the ISO 50 RAW file in an editor, it will display darker than the ISO 100 file, because the RAW editor/converter will pull the exposure down based on the ISO value in the metadata.

Seems silly/pointless for manual/raw (how I shoot). Good to know.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »

By George, I think he's got it!

Yes. If you ignore the meter, two exposures at the same shutter and aperture but with the one at ISO50 and the other at ISO100 will be identical save for the metadata (and therefore subsequent default processing). So, if you shoot manual and RAW, ISO50 is pointless.

But for those who use autoexposure, and especially for those who shoot JPEG, it can be a very handy tool to have in the toolchest as a quick way to get the benefits of ETTR (at, of course the expense of a stop of headroom) either straight out of the camera or with fewer steps in post-processing.

Cheers,

b&

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »

I do not.

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »

Seems silly/pointless for manual/raw (how I shoot). Good to know.

Indeed, thanks NA.

So, I haven't played with my camera above 25.6k, but I'd assume it's the same situation going above there as well?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
So, I haven't played with my camera above 25.6k, but I'd assume it's the same situation going above there as well?

Just like the L expansion is a digital pull, the H expansion settings are digital pushes, yes.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

Just like the L expansion is a digital pull, the H expansion settings are digital pushes, yes.

And, to follow up on neuro's point, because I know somebody will wonder and / or ask...yes, they're equally useless for knowledgeable photographers shooting RAW in manual mode, but they can be useful for those shooting in an autoexposure mode and especially useful for JPEG shooters.

The utility for JPEG shooters is especially pertinent because the 5DIII has such an awesome onboard RAW processor.

If you shoot JPEG in low light, you'd be a bit silly to not enable the H modes. If you shoot RAW and manually expose, there's no point to them.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »