May 06, 2016, 02:56:32 PM

Author Topic: Upgrading from 5DIII to 5DIV -- your probable reasons?  (Read 8094 times)

d

• EOS M3
Re: Upgrading from 5DIII to 5DIV -- your probable reasons?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
My primary reasons to upgrade from MkIII to MkIV would be to pick up the unannounced but inevitable improvements, plus my Mk III is now very high milage, it's on it's third shutter and might appreciate a graceful retirement.

-pw

At how many clicks did they break? My 1dx went at 167k.

My 5DIII shutters have averaged around 130k. CPS confirms this is pretty common.
It's not a huge expense to have the shutter replaced, it's more the inconvenience.

-pw

How do you know when the shutter needs replacing? Does it seize up or something?

Here's a thumbnail of shot taken with a 1DS Mk III that was starting to play up - notice the lighter band down the LHS (in shots taken in landscape orientation, the lighter band appeared at the top of photos).  A month later the shutter failed completely - the camera would take black photos regardless of settings, and when I locked the mirror up, the shutter was permanently obscuring the sensor - it wouldn't retract back to its "resting" position.

I'm sure other shutter failures are more sudden, but unevenly exposed images like this one can be one indicator of an impending failure.

Cheers,
d.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »

paxfoto

• SX60 HS
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
I have the 5D classic, so I have many reasons for upgrading. A lot have happened since my last big investment.

I shoot a lot of macro and a tilt screen is mandatory. Wifi is also important. I fear the price for this camera and I probably have to wait a long time since I also will compare it with the 6D upgrade.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
My primary reasons to upgrade from MkIII to MkIV would be to pick up the unannounced but inevitable improvements, plus my Mk III is now very high milage, it's on it's third shutter and might appreciate a graceful retirement.

-pw

My 5DIII shutters have averaged around 130k. CPS confirms this is pretty common.
It's not a huge expense to have the shutter replaced, it's more the inconvenience.

-pw

How do you know when the shutter needs replacing? Does it seize up or something?

Here's a thumbnail of shot taken with a 1DS Mk III that was starting to play up - notice the lighter band down the LHS (in shots taken in landscape orientation, the lighter band appeared at the top of photos).  A month later the shutter failed completely - the camera would take black photos regardless of settings, and when I locked the mirror up, the shutter was permanently obscuring the sensor - it wouldn't retract back to its "resting" position.

I'm sure other shutter failures are more sudden, but unevenly exposed images like this one can be one indicator of an impending failure.

Cheers,
d.

Exactly what happened to mine!
1dx, 35 L II, 135 L, Profoto B1

KeithBreazeal

• 5D Mark III
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »
My reason- I gave my son my retired 40D.  He wants to upgrade to my 5D III.
Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

slclick

• 5DSR
  • Does anyone really win the B&H web survey gifts?
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:31 PM »
My reason- I gave my son my retired 40D.  He wants to upgrade to my 5D III.

I see what you did there ;)
5D3, Rokinon 14 2.8, 24-35 Art, 40, 100L, 135L, 70-300L Lensbabies, Holga 120

Freddie

• Rebel T6i
I'm not considering it until it is out for inspection.
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »
The 5D MK III is such a fine camera that it would take some big time improvements for me to justify an upgrade.

The absolute only thing that would interest me is a really huge jump in dynamic range.

I have the 5DS R and the 5D MK III is a great backup for that as is. The 5D MK III also acts as a very good backup for the 7D MK II since it also does very well with wildlife.

I really like having the same battery system for all my cameras. If they change to another battery type for the 5D MK IV, it's certainly not going to encourage upgrading on my part.

archiea

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
this is a good thread I was just thinking about that yesterday.  I went from the 7D mark 1 to the 5D mark III. It was a no brainer from a standpoint of IQ and resolution as well s full frame goodness.

I updated from M1 to the M3 canon mirrorless because it was resolution change, Wifi, add'l features like built in flash and tilting LCD and EVF option, as well as redesigned grip.

Likely the 5D mark iV would offer similar boost in features.

Well here goes:

1) Focus point illuminator "fix". I call it a fix since it used to remain illuminated but they removed it!

2) Wifi.  This makes up for lack of a tilting LCD (which I DON'T want because I want it rugged) since you can use phone or tablet as a viewfinder.  Makes sense.

3) High seed sec for shutter.  1/250th at least.

4) "erase range" for erasing image son card. My M3 has it but not the 5D!

5) focus peaking with ADJUSTABLE peak settings.  I noticed the fuji's and Sony's have a higher "clip" than the canon M3's mirrorless focus peaking.  the former clips in and out of Peak more quickly and allow you to "snap" into focus more visibly.   This should be adjustable for the user.

6) latest and greatest, if not better, live view focusing via sensor.  whatever canon calls it, the shift pixel thingie.. make it a whole different focusing option that video users can use..

7) adjustable/removable focus screens.  with the new manual zeiss lens, manual focus lenses should be accommodated.

8) 1dX level weather sealing.  The 5D should just be a smaller 1dx when it comes to weather sealing.  Period.

9) have the 1Dx and the 5ds/r's image based intelligent tracking sensor that uses the dedicated processor.

10) 1 cfast and 1 Cf. The Cfast is so that buffer limits ar less of a limit since it can right faster to card. 

11) make it 24 MP.  then release the 50 MP version with better electronic shutter to lessens cam shake as well as a sensor based stabilization to enable hand held shooting.

12) the usual sensor DR/high ISO improvements that come with each sensor revision.

13) usb 3 out for tethered shooting,

I think that covers it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »

unfocused

• Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
...Well here goes:

...High seed sec for shutter.  1/250th at least...latest and greatest, if not better, live view focusing via sensor...1dX level weather sealing...The 5D should just be a smaller 1dx when it comes to weather sealing...have the 1Dx and the 5ds/r's image based intelligent tracking sensor that uses the dedicated processor...1 cfast and 1 Cf...

...I think that covers it.

Sounds like you are expecting to get a 1DxII for the price of a 5D IV. I think you will be disappointed.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

slclick

• 5DSR
  • Does anyone really win the B&H web survey gifts?
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 11:24:16 PM »
I keep saying there isn't anything that they can do to replace my 5D3 but as my eyes age, interchangeable focusing screens would probably do it.
5D3, Rokinon 14 2.8, 24-35 Art, 40, 100L, 135L, 70-300L Lensbabies, Holga 120

dslrdummy

• EOS M3
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »
I've had to sell the 5Diii, 7Dii and a host of other stuff to fund the purchase of a 1DXii. So when I can afford it I would like the 5Div as a second body. We can assume it will have improved DR, high iso and af tracking performance so for me it would be about slightly faster frame rate (8+ fps) and say 24MP. 
5Diii, 7Dii, 24-105L, 50 f1.8ii, 70-200 f2.8ii, 100-400ii, 300 f2.8ii, 1.4x TCiii, 2x TCiii, 580EXii, Fuji X100s

pwp

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 12:00:46 AM »

-pw

-pw

Cheers,
d.

The first shutter fail on the 5DIII was just a total catastrophic, no action fail. The second showed as a slightly diagonal shadow across the bottom of the frame, intermittent. It was small enough not to notice while shooting commissioned work (yikes!). I had been shooting with the 16-35 f/2.8II and my first thought was that the lens shade had unlocked and twisted, casting a vignette/shadow. But it varied one frame to the next, so obviously not the hood getting in the way. Luckily I was able to deliver the job ok with a mix of good frames and cropped frames or Content Aware Fill repairs. Damn that Content Aware Fill is a useful tool for all sorts of things. FYI if you're working on an area at the edge of frame, it works best on a flattened image/layer. No idea why, it just does.

Shutters? I've never replaced a shutter on a 1-Series despite shutter counts up in the several hundred thousands on a 1D MkIIn and my just retired 1D MkIV. What a great camera! My 5D classic which I gave to an assistant is still going, all-original with over 500k clicks to it's name. It's probably just a matter of luck to some extent.

-pw

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:15 AM »
Reasons for upgrading:

1. dynamic range
2. dynamic range
3. dynamic range

That about sums it up. Canon is 3 years late to the DR party... time to shape up or ship out.

RGF

• How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 12:48:52 AM »
Hard to justify with the 5DS(R) available for resolution.

The 5D M3 is my walk around camera so not sure if I will upgrade.  But I want to - if the market goes up enough, I'll upgrade and get a nice new shiny toy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 12:48:52 AM »

romanr74

• EOS M3
  • I see, thus I am
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2016, 03:40:51 AM »
I would want it to be one notch up on a little bit everything. Improved noise levels with on chip ADC would be nice, i.e. get a cleaner signal. A bit more resolution and a bit higher framerate would be appreciated. I am overall very happy with my 5D mk III.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:00:26 AM by romanr74 »
EOS 5D Mark III; EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye; TS-E 17 f/4.0L; EF 85mm f/1.2L II; Macro EF 100 f/2.8L IS; EF 11-24 f/4.0L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 16-35 f/4.0L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

RGF

• How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »
I would want it to be one notch up on a little bit everything. Improved noise levels with on chip ADC would be nice, i.e. get a cleaner signal. A bit more resolution and a bit higher framerate would be appreciated. I am overall very happy with my 5D mk III.

A slightly better 5D M3 will not cut it for me.  The competition is 5DS (R), 1DX M2, and the Sony A7R II w/ meta bones adapter.

Higher resolution, higher frame rate, higher DR (and resolution).

To be competitive  the 5DM4 would need to address at least 2 of the 3 challenges, perhaps improve on all 3 fronts.

A 32-36 MP camera with 8 FPS and DR similar to the current 1DX would be a winner.  Not sure if it would be priced at $3599 (US) perhaps a bit more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »