March 28, 2017, 02:35:57 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM  (Read 70003 times)

scottburgess

• EOS M3
  • Canonical Canon
Re: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »
The data are there but seem hidden, and not revealed in DPP or the usual Friedl website. I have got at the subject distance and whether the IS is on by using DxO Optics Pro and then reading the EXIF via Apple Preview. If IS is off, it isn't mentioned, if it's on, it reads IS Panning.

Thanks for responding, Alan.  I had done some digging on this and several people had noted the information was simply not there--evidently this is not correct. 

Inspired by your post, I tried using EXIFTool to view the data, but I don't see either Subject Distance or IS information, though EXIFTool supposedly shows everything (I do get a Focus Distance Upper and Focus Distance Lower, but am not sure what these are as they appear to be too large for my subject distance).  I am unfamiliar with Friedl, but found a Jeffrey Friedl blog with a Lightroom plugin which supposedly shows all EXIF data; I gather that too does not show IS data, but I don't use Lightroom anyway.

I am not a Mac owner, so do you (or does anyone else) know of a Windows app which reveals the IS data?  I thought Apple Preview was for pdf docs?  I am not clear what you're doing with DxO Optics Pro in conjunction with Apple Preview to unwrap the data.  Is the "IS Panning" a Field, or a Data item for a field?

Also, does anyone know which camera models record the IS data from the lens?

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »