September 19, 2014, 12:17:28 AM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV Dimensions Outed?  (Read 10067 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ds Mark IV Dimensions Outed?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but maybe Canon is linking with GigaPan?  :o

I think you're reading way to much into this.  It's standard practice to release specs (and exterior engineering diagrams where appropriate) to 3rd party vendors that produce accessories for a company's forthcoming product.  That's the reason you can walk into an Apple Store on launch day for a new iPhone and find cases to fit the new model, with packaging that already says 'made for iPhone x.'  Sometimes, we see photos of case prototypes prior to an announcement, and you can bet the vendor responsible for the leak will not get the designs the next time around.  Gigapan is probably not worried about that - note that the same model from them fits most Canon bodies, so they'd only be affected by a radical form factor change from Canon (unlikely given history).

In fact, I'd suggest the fact that Gigapan has this up on their website is a good indication that you're actually wrong - if there was an actual collaboration in the works, I would think Gigapan would be a lot more careful not to piss Canon off by leaking information.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »

Dr.Jones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Victor Jones Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »
Well also a 7DSV and a 5D MK II is listed. Wonder where they got all this information, would seem odd if Canon had delivered all this information by now.

The 5D MK II was released in 2008, remember?  The 1Ds IV is the only unreleased camera on the list.

Sorry, my mistake, i just read it as being a 5D III.

My point was, that there was a lot of information, which hadn't been announced yet. Given it was a 5D3, 1Ds4 and 7DSV. SInce i misread 5D3 and apparently haven't done my homework good enough as i didn't know of any 7DSV announcements.

My point quite goes to the ground.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:13:41 AM by Dr.Jones »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III + Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT *2 + ST-E3 + Canon EF 17-40 f/4L + Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 USM II + Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II

Blackout

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
Quote from: Bryan Carnathan from  the-digital-picture.com
Update: Gigapan Systems has informed me that the 1Ds Mark IV specs were a typo.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »
Quote from: Bryan Carnathan from  the-digital-picture.com
Update: Gigapan Systems has informed me that the 1Ds Mark IV specs were a typo.

Translation: Canon's legal department smacked Gigipan upside the head, and Gigapan is now engaged in damage control.

(and yet, they still haven't fixed the 'typo')
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:49:31 AM by neuroanatomist »

WarStreet

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
Translation: Canon's legal department smacked Gigipan upside the head, and Gigapan is now engaged in damage control.

(and yet, they still haven't fixed the 'typo')

I think, this one is the first real info we have about the 1DsIV. Since we know that it's not a joke, it can only be a 'typo', but not even myself can do such BIG typos !. I don't know if they have the courage to do this on purpose for site traffic.

neuro, your current post count is 999, and I am curious to see if the 1000 post will switch your rank to 1dsIII :) maybe it is a sign !

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
it's kind of hard to believe it's a "typo" when the 1D Mark IV is actually called out like two lines above the 1Ds Mark IV

macfly

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
I guess that someone at Canon wanted to have the Gigapan for the Olympics, so had to make the dimensions available to them to ensure it had the proper mount ready to go, and thats how it got into their system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »

RandomDude

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
The reduction in height is problematic to me.  The 1Ds III gained the extra 3mm over the MkII by using a larger pentaprism.  It's possible that Canon found a way to squeeze the same viewfinder into a smaller bump, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.  Certainly they wouldn't put a smaller viewfinder in the new camera.

It might not be a "typo" per se, but I don't think this is a proper leak either.  Something else is probably going on.  I could be wrong, of course, but I wouldn't start chiseling a statue of the 1Ds IV off these numbers. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
The reduction in height is problematic to me.  The 1Ds III gained the extra 3mm over the MkII by using a larger pentaprism.  It's possible that Canon found a way to squeeze the same viewfinder into a smaller bump, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.  Certainly they wouldn't put a smaller viewfinder in the new camera.

Should be pretty simple to shave 3mm off the bottom with a redesigned battery...

neuro, your current post count is 999, and I am curious to see if the 1000 post will switch your rank to 1dsIII :) maybe it is a sign !

I guess we'll find out...right...NOW!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »

I guess we'll find out...right...NOW!

Maybe 1001 posts?

Nope...   :(  I guess the 1D IV remains the CR top of the heap.  Does that put the kabash on a 1DsIV?   :P

WarStreet

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »
it's kind of hard to believe it's a "typo" when the 1D Mark IV is actually called out like two lines above the 1Ds Mark IV

It's not just that, how they can do a typo on size and weight too ? As you say, it is also positioned under the 1DsIII, and it is not occupying the spot of another camera. Check the 500D/550D for a real typo !

Also, now I think that this can't be done on purpose for traffic generation, as how they are going to explain this to Canon ? by telling them it is a typo ? :)

The timing is perfect too, I expected the 1DsIV during 2011 Q4, and Nikon are going to do an announcement on 24 August, for which it is rumored 2 FF cameras. I think one of them it is going to be the D3X replacement, the competitor of the 1DsIII.

I usually rarely give credit to rumors, but this one I am going to declare that it is true................................................ Maybe !! :)

WarStreet

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
Maybe 1001 posts?

Nope...   :(  I guess the 1D IV remains the CR top of the heap.  Does that put the kabash on a 1DsIV?   :P

Maybe the admin changed the limit just because of you :)

What can I say, keep going !!

surfing_geek

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »
it seems to have vanished again from the gigapan site.  they've obviously realised their error, whether that be typo or the premature announement of a new camera.  or maybe canon realised the error for them and pointed out the error of their ways! naughty gigapan :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »

justicend

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
gigapan system traffic peaked when this buzz around the net. See  yourself for the site's traffic
 http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/gigapansystems.com#

WarStreet

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »
If Nikon can announce two flagship models at once, I pray to God/Bhudda/Or Whomever Trips Your Trigger/  that Canon follows suit and pairs a 5D announcement with its new 1D.

This is funny :) Just keep in mind that the possibility of the 2 FF announcement is just a rumor, although the announcement seems to be sufficiently verified. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »