April 19, 2014, 11:00:54 AM

Author Topic: straps  (Read 4457 times)

wdh777

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
straps
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
Any recommendations for super strong straps?  I'm currently using an upstrap which is pretty good but are there better.  I always hear about black rapid or others that attach to the camera tripod screw but to hold a heavy camera with a grip and a 70-200 lens i'm a little worried it would support it.  Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

straps
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: straps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
Lots of photographers use the Black Rapid for lenses like the 70-200mm f/2.8L.  Not too many for the 400mm f/2.8 though.

There are a lot of posts with recommendations.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
I always hear about black rapid or others that attach to the camera tripod screw but to hold a heavy camera with a grip and a 70-200 lens i'm a little worried it would support it.

I've carried a gripped body with a big white zoom (70-200/2.8L, 100-400L, 28-300L) from a Blackrapid strap for years.  More recently, I've been carrying a 600/4L IS II with 1D X from a lefty BR strap.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
@ Neuro & MtSpokane

There are constant reports of bodies / lenses falling off the BR straps. How to best combat this issue? I believe there was a thread on this issue but I can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:59:22 AM by J.R. »
Light is language!

Thorix

• PowerShot G16
  • 5D3 & 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:26:40 AM »
There is an alternative to the usual suspects (Black Rapid and SunSniper), the CarrySpeed CS-Pro Mk II.
See http://www.carryspeed.com
I am using it with confidence for 5D3 with grip and 70-200/2.8 L IS Mk II.
It comes with a second connect to either body or lense, that is a backup for the main connector, and holds the combo in balance nicely. Also in the package is a small sling for e.g. a compact cam, and I recommend to order separately the F1-plate with a pin that folds away for storing your gear.
Notice that this is a Mk II version, some issues with Mk I you can read about have obviously been fixed.
BR, Thomas

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »
A suggestion may be what I've finally rigged up & found gives me confidence, I've used this system now for 2 years & no issues, have to say though I never had issues prior as well, but this gives me the most confidence.

I use Black Rapid Sport Straps, you can get Right or Left, I have one of each, to the end that normally screws to your camera tripod screw, I attach a RRS Quick Release Clamp, I use "Locktite" on the screw end before screwing into the Clamp, makes the connection then pretty well unscrew able (Not sure that's a real word but I'm sure you get the picture), the RRS Quick Release Clamp then Clamps to my Camera L Plate (RRS) or my Lens Foot replacement, again RRS, but you can use Wimberley Plates for a cheaper fix. System requires you to have L Plates or Wimberley Plates on all your Camera Bodies & or Lenses, any Lens/Body combination from 14mm up to 135, the Connection is to the L Plate on the body, anything from 70-200 through to my 600 the connection is via the RRS Foot replacement, although I generally don't use this system to any real degree on the 400 & 600, rather use a Monopod or Tripod with the whole Rig on a Wimberely Head.

It's not the cheapest method of peace of mind, but it works.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:59:30 AM »

Harv

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:45:46 AM »
I use the current version of Black Rapid to carry my 1D Mark IV with either a 70-200/2.8 or 300/2.8 and have had no issues.

When using the 70-200, I fasten the strap to the camera body.  When using the 300/2.8, I fasten the strap to the tripod ring of the lens.

It's definitely much more comfortable than carrying either on a neck strap and I never have to worry about it slipping off my shoulder.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

Gjako

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »
+1   BlackRapid Sport Slim

The comfort difference between a neck strap and the black rapids is huge, I was using the neck strap during my trips and at the end of the day there was pain on my neck. But since I bought the black rapid, I cannot go back to neck straps, It's waaay more comfortable for a full day of walking (I was recently in Copenhagen with my camera attached 24/7) and no pain at all.
Plus you don’t have the camera bothering and jumping on the front screaming look at me I'm a Canon – insert model here -  Guy!   ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:32:01 AM »
@ Neuro & MtSpokane

There are constant reports of bodies / lenses falling off the BR straps. How to best combat this issue? I believe there was a thread on this issue but I can't seem to find it.

There have been a few threads.  Personally, I think the issue is the lug unscrewing itself from the tripod mount in most cases.  There's torsional stress there, and when I started using it, I noticed that after walking for an hour or two, I often needed to re-tighten the lug.

When I switched to Arca-Swiss type plates well over a year ago, I attached a Kirk 1" clamp to the lug, with a little Loctite Blue - the setup is very secure.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »
Comfort-wise, the BR strap isn't really any better or worse than any other quality strap.  It limits the possible carry options, which I find a small negative.  In my personal opinion, it works very well with bigger lenses (like the 70-200).  The mass of the camera/lens combo seems to keep everything properly positioned by your side.  But with smaller lenses (eg 40mm), its not so good.  I've found the camera continually spins and jumps around.  Not really a problem, but I've found a traditional strap works better with smaller/lighter combos.

It works suprisingly well for manual winding film cameras, as it keeps the strap away from the top of the camera.

Re security, I can appreciate this is a perceived risk.  But its worked well for me and other people use them without drama.  My other main straps are Tamrac n45's.  These actually have quick release plastic clips that hold it together. I used to have concerns about them, but they've worked fine for years.  I take the view that most serious companies don't deliberately release junk and you'd be very unlucky to have a problem.  Just follow the instructions, test the connection regularly and don't overstress it with too much weight and you'll be fine.  But the fact that you even have to worry about it is another negative.  A strap should just work with no continual thorough maintenance or thought.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Kristofgss

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:07 AM »
+1 for Black Rapid. You can additionally secure it bu having a short strap between the fixed eyelets on the camera (where the normal strap attaches) and loop it through the black rapid. That way, even if it unscrews itself, it still can't fall off the strap.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »
FWIW, I also use a Spider Holster.  I liked the idea, but avoided them because of a lack of compatibility with Arca plates (would have needed to remove the QR plate and install the Spider plate.  But then they came out with an Arca clamp.  The system works quite well, and with Arca-compatible clamps on the BR straps and for the Spider Holster, I can switch as needed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »

viggen61

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »
There have been a few threads.  Personally, I think the issue is the lug unscrewing itself from the tripod mount in most cases.  There's torsional stress there, and when I started using it, I noticed that after walking for an hour or two, I often needed to re-tighten the lug.

Carrying my gripped 7D and 100-400, I found this to be the case. It only loosened on me one time, but I have been very careful since. It takes just a couple seconds to make sure your $3,000 rig is safe! We should probably be checking the condition of any strap carrying that much gear!
Canon 7D

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »
FWIW, I also use a Spider Holster.  I liked the idea, but avoided them because of a lack of compatibility with Arca plates (would have needed to remove the QR plate and install the Spider plate.  But then they came out with an Arca clamp.  The system works quite well, and with Arca-compatible clamps on the BR straps and for the Spider Holster, I can switch as needed.
I'm another long term user of the Spider Holster system. I use their twin holster belt.  For sports I have three bodies, the 300 f/2.8 on a monopod, the 70-200 f/2.8isII on the belt plus the third body with a suitable wide also on the belt. I can run with this setup. For events it's two bodies on the belt, with 70-200 on one side & 24-70 on the other.

Unique, remarkably clever piece of design/hardware.

-PW 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »