September 17, 2014, 10:10:08 AM

Author Topic: straps  (Read 5771 times)

Old Sarge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: straps
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
A suggestion may be what I've finally rigged up & found gives me confidence, I've used this system now for 2 years & no issues, have to say though I never had issues prior as well, but this gives me the most confidence.

I use Black Rapid Sport Straps, you can get Right or Left, I have one of each, to the end that normally screws to your camera tripod screw, I attach a RRS Quick Release Clamp, I use "Locktite" on the screw end before screwing into the Clamp, makes the connection then pretty well unscrew able (Not sure that's a real word but I'm sure you get the picture), the RRS Quick Release Clamp then Clamps to my Camera L Plate (RRS) or my Lens Foot replacement, again RRS, but you can use Wimberley Plates for a cheaper fix. System requires you to have L Plates or Wimberley Plates on all your Camera Bodies & or Lenses, any Lens/Body combination from 14mm up to 135, the Connection is to the L Plate on the body, anything from 70-200 through to my 600 the connection is via the RRS Foot replacement, although I generally don't use this system to any real degree on the 400 & 600, rather use a Monopod or Tripod with the whole Rig on a Wimberely Head.

It's not the cheapest method of peace of mind, but it works.

I have been considering using this method myself but have had concerns that the quick release clamp might open while carrying it.  Has this been a concern for you?  Like you, my intention has been to use the BR on the lens with my 70-200 and 100-400 but on the body for other lenses.  It isn't a cheap fix, by any means, and I wouldn't trust the combination to anything other than top quality components (RRS/Wimberly/etc.). 
The Old Sarge

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
I have been considering using this method myself but have had concerns that the quick release clamp might open while carrying it.  Has this been a concern for you? 

I would absolutely NOT use a lever release clamp for this.  The screw clamps have a fair bit of intrinsic tension and it takes an intentional effort to open one.  Also, positioning helps - for a body plate/L-bracket, orient the clamp so the screw knob is under the lens, for a lens plate/foot, orient the clamp so the screw knob is away from your body.

When I started using this setup, the RRS clamp wasn't a viable option - their B2-FAB was their offering, and it has little nubs on the bottom that prevent the BR lug from sitting properly.  Usually, RRS advice is excellent - in this case, their advice was to 'mash the rubber washer down onto the nubs, or just file the nubs off'.  I bought the Kirk clamp, after telling them that their advice was rather lame.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one who thought so, more recently RRS came out with a flat-bottom version of the B2-FAB specifically for a BR-type setup.  Even so, when I needed a second clamp for a second BR strap, I went with the Kirk clamp - extra jaw length really doesn't add any security, and I prefer the 1" Kirk clamp to the 1.5" RRS clamp.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »
Hi, just so I've got this right, many of you have quick release camera plates permanently attached to all of your camera bodies and (where relevant) lenses.  Rather than attach the BR strap directly to the camera or plate, you glue the strap to a quick release clamp (screw type preferred due to the higher torque required to release the plate).  Then all you have to do is connect the clamp to the appropriate plate. The general consensus is that the clamp attaches more securely (or as securely) to the plate than attaching the BR strap directly to the camera or plate?  It is also faster and more convenient as a simple twist of the quick release clamo screw attaches and detaches the strap.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:47 AM »
The general consensus is that the clamp attaches more securely (or as securely) to the plate than attaching the BR strap directly to the camera or plate?  It is also faster and more convenient as a simple twist of the quick release clamo screw attaches and detaches the strap.

Yes to both.  The former because the torsional stress is all on the carabiner swivel, with no rotational force able to unscrew the lug (due to the Loctite).  Convenient to detach the strap to reposition it (body to lens, etc.) and to ..use a tripod/monopod.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 12:59:53 AM »
Hi, just so I've got this right, many of you have quick release camera plates permanently attached to all of your camera bodies and (where relevant) lenses.  Rather than attach the BR strap directly to the camera or plate, you glue the strap to a quick release clamp (screw type preferred due to the higher torque required to release the plate).  Then all you have to do is connect the clamp to the appropriate plate. The general consensus is that the clamp attaches more securely (or as securely) to the plate than attaching the BR strap directly to the camera or plate?  It is also faster and more convenient as a simple twist of the quick release clamo screw attaches and detaches the strap.

That's pretty much it.

Perhaps surprising, but I find the (gripped) 5DIII more comfortable to hold in portrait orientation with the RSS L-bracket than without the bracket at all. So the bracket lives on the camera. I'll then either attach the camera to the tripod or to the 1" clamp permanently mounted to the end of the BR strap.

I was having a bit of trouble with the safety screw on the carabiner-style clip unscrewing itself, so it's since been secured with a bit of Loctite Blue. But, aside from that, there's been nary a hint of potential instability.

I haven't really tried using it with the 400 f/2.8 yet, but I did wander a bit around the back yard with that setup -- BR strap attached to the RSS replacement foot on the 400. I think that might actually be the way to go for anything where you can do without the monopod...that would be any situation where you'll only holding the camera for short bits at a time, for example...I'm thinking it'd be perfect for the zoo. It's a lot easier to shoot the 400 with the monopod, but it's a real bitch to walk around with it slung over your shoulder and the monopod sticking out in front of you.

Cheers,

b&

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 01:00:18 AM »

I have done it both ways.  Mostly screw the attachment ring into the bottom of the camera plate or lens plate.

I have not carried my 500F4 with a BR strap, rather I use the strap that came with the 500 .  I carry the lens with the strap and leave the camera attached to the lens.  That way the weight on the flange is the camera not the lens.

jhanken

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:32 AM »
The Lens Loop is great if you like your camera to swing free, like with the Carry Speed. The Lens Loop is less expensive, and it is made from seat belt webbing, so you know it is extremely strong.  I just attach the very beefy clip to the bottom ring of the Manfrotto plate that is pretty much permanently on my old 5D, and off I go.  I would think it would work nicely on a 70-200 if you put a plate or ring of some kind in the tripod threaded hole.

http://www.lensloop.com/

5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:32 AM »

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:21 AM »
I use my CPS strap because it is cool!   :P
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

wdh777

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. After reading all the posts I'm considering getting a black rapid sport. Is the the strongest model for a single camera. For a 1dx with the 70-200 f/2.8 attached can I still mount the black rapid to the camera screw since I have a tripod mount on the lens or for this combo would most recommend attaching the black rapid to the lens?  Thanks

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. After reading all the posts I'm considering getting a black rapid sport. Is the the strongest model for a single camera. For a 1dx with the 70-200 f/2.8 attached can I still mount the black rapid to the camera screw since I have a tripod mount on the lens or for this combo would most recommend attaching the black rapid to the lens?  Thanks

Any time a lens comes with a tripod attachment, use it always.

b&

leosfo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
+1 to BR used with 7D gripped and 100-400 (mounted to lens via tripod ring) or 24-105 (mounted to camera) no issues.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
I've been using http://holdfastgear.com/?products/money-maker.htmlthis for a while now, and I'm not going back.

wdh777

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »
So if you have the black rapid attached to the 70-200 lens mount and then you want to use a monopod attached to the same lens mount do you just not use a strap when mounted on a monopod or would you use the camera mount in that circumstance?  Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »

DCM1024

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
I use my CPS strap because it is cool!   :P

That's why I bought the OpTech 2 body shoulder harness - it works with the CPS strap.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
So if you have the black rapid attached to the 70-200 lens mount and then you want to use a monopod attached to the same lens mount do you just not use a strap when mounted on a monopod or would you use the camera mount in that circumstance?  Thanks

That's why I have the Kirk 1" clamp on the end of the BR strap - detach strap, attach monopod.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »