April 20, 2014, 03:29:55 PM

Author Topic: Variable ND filters  (Read 1016 times)

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Variable ND filters
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
Does anyone here use the Vari-ND filter from Singh-Ray? I'm looking to pick up B+H's MRC nano version of it when it hits the market, but just want to make sure it's effective tech before dropping the $250. Anyone who went from multiple NDs of different densities to the Vari and then went back?
Gear! When do we get gear?!

canon rumors FORUM

Variable ND filters
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Variable ND filters
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »
Never went. The Singh-Ray, Schneider Optics, B+W, and Tiffen (yes, Tiffen) will offer good IQ (unlike Fader, Genus, etc.).  For me, the deal breaker is the Maltese cross artifact you get at AoVs wider than ~28mm (on FF), that gets worse the wider you go and the darker you set the filter - it derives from the uneven polarization you see with a CPL on a WA lens (a variND is a pair of stacked polarizers). 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hagen

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »
I have the SR 2-8x and it works very well as long as you stay longer than approx 35mm. If I go 24 on my 24-105 I start to get the sections that do not have filtering (and it is very much like the cross that neuro mentioned. Plus you also start getting some serious tunnel vision!

I use it for freezing water in day-time lighting scenarios: noon-light even.

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
Never went. The Singh-Ray, Schneider Optics, B+W, and Tiffen (yes, Tiffen) will offer good IQ (unlike Fader, Genus, etc.).  For me, the deal breaker is the Maltese cross artifact you get at AoVs wider than ~28mm (on FF), that gets worse the wider you go and the darker you set the filter - it derives from the uneven polarization you see with a CPL on a WA lens (a variND is a pair of stacked polarizers).

Agree ! Tried several of them and gave up. At wide angle like 16-20 mm, I find them unusable above 3 stops ... 

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
vari is great when traveling as u only need one filter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »