Gear Talk > Canon General

European travel?

(1/5) > >>

tiltshift:
Going to be traveling in Switzerland (Zurich, Geneva, and Berne), Germany (Munich), Czech Republic(Prague), France(Paris), and I am wondering if anyone can suggest any destinations that I must see, experience, and/or photograph  :). Museums, streets, shops, landscape, events, etc.... I have never been to Europe so anything would be helpful.

any gear suggestions also? although I will likely travel heavy (have done this before and the weight is not a major concern)
I am thinking of bringing 5D, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 40, extension tubes, GND ND CPL filters, cable release,  tripod, possibly my Fuji XE-1.... (I know I am on CR...  :P ) More looking for cautionary warnings and such, but any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Will be traveling this May if that changes anything.

Thanks!

BruinBear:
If your gear is insured, make sure they cover things that happen overseas. If its not insured, insure it.

I'm actually going in may as well but I will be doing quite the opposite and traveling with only 6D, 35, 40, and 17-40 or 24-105. I expect that most of the time ill have the 35 or 40 glued to my camera anyways.

androiduk:
If possible, buy train or airline tickets online as far in advance as you can. My last trip to Europe was this past April and I went to London, Paris, Venice & Rome. Went from Venice to Rome for $10 by train (Trenitalia website) and flew from Rome to Paris for $35 with Easyjet. If I had to pick one museum it would be the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. Have a great trip!

myone:

--- Quote from: tiltshift on April 03, 2013, 01:11:46 PM ---Going to be traveling in Switzerland (Zurich, Geneva, and Berne), Germany (Munich), Czech Republic(Prague), France(Paris), and I am wondering if anyone can suggest any destinations that I must see, experience, and/or photograph  :). Museums, streets, shops, landscape, events, etc.... I have never been to Europe so anything would be helpful.

any gear suggestions also? although I will likely travel heavy (have done this before and the weight is not a major concern)
I am thinking of bringing 5D, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 40, extension tubes, GND ND CPL filters, cable release,  tripod, possibly my Fuji XE-1.... (I know I am on CR...  :P ) More looking for cautionary warnings and such, but any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Will be traveling this May if that changes anything.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

That sounds like a lot to bring! Don't let the weight bog you down as you will have to do a lot of walking/sight seeing.

My 2 trips to Asia that lasted 3 weeks each taught me well to pack light on gears. Even 5D3 + 24-70 + 17-40 + 35L was giving me too much weight. I ended up leaving my flash and 17-40 in the hotel all the time, bringing only 24-70 + 35L.

If you look at your gear list, you have a lot of redundancies. Pack light and have fun!

AlanF:
I regularly go to all of those destinations and live in a tourist spot, which I walk or cycle through daily. Yet, I have never seen a tourist with a big white lens or using a tripod in all of my travels. A 24-105 will cover 90+% of your needs and won't make you a slave to your gear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version