September 21, 2014, 08:18:32 PM

Author Topic: mini review: Yongnuo 568EX  (Read 18484 times)

rt

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: mini review: Yongnuo 568EX
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
Hi, does anyone know if YN-568EX (or YN-565EX) can be used as a slave for a Powershot S90 / S95 / S100 / S110? I mean a dumb slave in manual mode of course (I'd like to bounce it from the ceiling).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »

The unit performed flawlessly in all the above-mentioned areas.  For example, the photo below shows my YN-568EX firing in optical slave mode, using ETTL metering, HSS and 8:1 ratio set via the camera menu.  Fantastic!   To obtain the photo below I mounted my 580EX ii master inside an Apollo Orb softbox at camera right.

I have the 580EX II and YN-568EX also.  How did you connect your camera to the 580EX II which is off-camera in Apollo? 

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 09:46:19 PM »
Hi, does anyone know if YN-568EX (or YN-565EX) can be used as a slave for a Powershot S90 / S95 / S100 / S110? I mean a dumb slave in manual mode of course (I'd like to bounce it from the ceiling).

You can use even the cheaper YN 560 II that way.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »

The unit performed flawlessly in all the above-mentioned areas.  For example, the photo below shows my YN-568EX firing in optical slave mode, using ETTL metering, HSS and 8:1 ratio set via the camera menu.  Fantastic!   To obtain the photo below I mounted my 580EX ii master inside an Apollo Orb softbox at camera right.

I have the 580EX II and YN-568EX also.  How did you connect your camera to the 580EX II which is off-camera in Apollo?

ahh -- good catch.  I used Syl Arena's ETTL extension cord from OCF gear.   Both camera and flash think the flash is mounted atop the camera.   ETTL works beautifully

my order for two additional 568EXs just arrived; that took about 9 days.  two 568's and the 580 go in the softox, one 568EX outside for rim or other fun.

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 12:42:58 AM »

ahh -- good catch.  I used Syl Arena's ETTL extension cord from OCF gear.   Both camera and flash think the flash is mounted atop the camera.   ETTL works beautifully

my order for two additional 568EXs just arrived; that took about 9 days.  two 568's and the 580 go in the softox, one 568EX outside for rim or other fun.

Forgive me for the dumb question, but it's pertinent to this thread.

I'm a videographer just getting into flash photography and I want to know where to get started. I recently upgraded to a 5D Mark III and miss having an on-camera flash sometimes... Money is tight but I have some upcoming stills I want to knock out of the park so to speak....

I'd like to learn to shoot family photos like these in the short run and then later I want to get into more complex multi-flash set ups like high fashion stuff. But this is my first assignment:

http://www.sistersavealot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/family.bmp

http://www.dougellisphotography.com/data/photos/73_1family_portrait_pictures_ca.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7500000/Modern-Family-modern-family-7554980-2560-1920.jpg

Looks like the families are in shade or under a 20x20 solid, catch lights show a large soft source from camera right as the most common set up with no fill or back light. Focal length appears to be long, approaching 200mm, lenses at f4 to f11.

The easiest way to do a cheap approximation of this (I imagine) is a flash bounced into an umbrella from as close to camera as possible... would this be bright enough? How would I trigger the flash in this case (radio received) and would I just figure out my ratio/brightness level/exposure by chimping? I'd like to try to do this with one battery-powered flash. Is this possible if I bring it close and shoot off-camera or would I need a much brighter flash than the Yognuo 560/Canon 580 (my two options).

Lastly, I want to shoot TTL like I did with my old t2i, but this isn't a priority. My options are the 560 II, 568EX, and an old used 580EX. Will I notice any real difference between the three? And for multi-flash set ups how can I trigger them all? For off-camera do they use the same radio receiver? Thanks! Mostly interested in the above style but also in getting into flash photography in general but stressed over having a high-stakes paid (low pay, high stakes) shoot soon.

rt

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 01:37:46 AM »
You can use even the cheaper YN 560 II that way.
Well, maybe, but I am looking for a flash that I will be able to use with my DSLR in all-auto ETTL mode (to go with my Canon Speedlites) *and* in dumb mode with my Powershot.

Can anyone confirm these flashes actually work with Sxx as optical slaves, are there any problems with the preflashes that the Powershot emits?

tolya99

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
interesting. I am considering getting one of those myself to supplement my 5d3 occasionally. one of the things that bothers me is that on eBay they usually listed as compatible with specific canon models. I asked one seller if his flash works with 5d3 and he said it won't, even though it's listed for 5d and 5d2... anyone knows if there really is difference, or seller and I misunderstood each other (sellers English was not great). I am also concerned about buying from China: in case flash arrives dead I would hate to pay for return shipping.

I use the 568EX with a 5D3, sometimes atop the camera, sometimes on YN622c triggers. No problems here.

Got them from a US based seller on ebay too - gaingameoutlet. Shipping was free, I believe they have 568EX's for $168 now (I paid a little more for mine back then, but not a lot).

wow, even more interesting! i was quoting the response i got from the very same seller! either the seller does not know what he/she is selling, or there's more than one variety of 568ex...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »
YN568EX has S1 and S2 slave modes. S2 ignores the preflash. YN560 has S1 and S2 as well.  I can't speak to whether bouncing the flash off a ceiling is going to make a difference detecting.

No problem with triggering with an on-camera flash pointed to the ceiling, in a bright room.

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
As with many of you, I was a bit skeptical about the product being from China and all. But you know what, I am very surprise and happy with the 568EX.

Purchased directly from Yongnuostore.com. Took about 2 weeks to get here. Tried and test it on my dear 20D for several days. All went well, then I had it on my 1D4 and 5D3. Works as expected thus far.

kentandersen

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
Youngnou is working great. Even the cheapest models are doing its job. Here you definently get the alot of gear for the money.

POLICAR: I would recomend you to also take a look at reflectors. To reflect sunlight with 2-3 reflectors gives the same result, and are probably an easier entry to reach youre goal. You see the light with a reflector,and it stays the same all the time. the problem with a flash is that it has to reload, and it is much more tricky to get it right. And even with a flash, to flash on a reflector will be a great gain for outdoor portraits.

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
Youngnou is working great. Even the cheapest models are doing its job. Here you definently get the alot of gear for the money.

POLICAR: I would recomend you to also take a look at reflectors. To reflect sunlight with 2-3 reflectors gives the same result, and are probably an easier entry to reach youre goal. You see the light with a reflector,and it stays the same all the time. the problem with a flash is that it has to reload, and it is much more tricky to get it right. And even with a flash, to flash on a reflector will be a great gain for outdoor portraits.

Thanks. The issue I see is that most of those portraits are staged in the shade. And so the fill from a reflector would be less than if the subjects were backlit. Would a single flash bounced from a silver umbrella right off-camera provide enough light during the day for fill? I can bring in reflectors, too. We'll have a full grip truck nearby (6x6, 8x8, 12x12 ultra bounce and lamé, HMIs, bead board, etc.) but the key here is SPEED. As regards metering and ratios, I can chimp fast.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:44:36 PM by Policar »

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
Thanks for review! I ordered mine direct from yongnuostore. Still waiting for it to be delivered (ordered end of March).
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:11 AM »
Yongnuo 568EX is available here on amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YN-568EX-Speed-Flash-Speedlite-Canon/dp/B00C584074/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366167953&sr=1-2-fkmr2&keywords=refone+Yongnuo+568EX

yes, very attractive -- 0% positive reviews on that seller!  are you that seller or somthing?  seriously do people just buy from anywhere that puts up a picture and a shopping cart?   thats not a risk I'm willing to take.  There are some important details to keep in mind when purchasing third party offshore equipment outside of the normal dist channels (trusted suppliers):

1.  The seller might be a A U.S. seller but that doesn't guarentee fresh inventory or a return policy.  theres a reason why the lead time is short -- they are adding value by storing inventory.

2.  there are retailers claiming to be official yongnuo retailers that are not.  There are storefronts and sellers on Ebay and Amazon that are not reputable.

3.  pick a reliable seller that has a reputation and a known interest in satisfying customers.  yes I'm quite pleased with thephotogadget.com and I wouldn't order Yongnuo from anyone else, frankly.  If you can find a U.S. based retailer that you know has fresh inventory, good customer service,  and a good return policy for tjhe same price as buying direct from China, then you will know that something is goofy. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:11 AM »

jasonmstone

• SX50 HS
  • Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Hey dlleno,

Thanks for the review. I just ordered the 568EX, should be here tomorrow... but it just occurred to me that the order page doesn't list the Canon 6D as a compatible body. Under your username in the forum, however, it says 6D, so should I assume that's what you're shooting with and you can confirm the 568EX works with it?

Thanks,
Jason

jasonmstone

• SX50 HS
  • Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Aaaaaand of course, now I see that my post says G15 under my username, which I didn't put there... so I guess that theory's a wash. Drat. Maybe I should cancel the order.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »