November 28, 2014, 02:34:40 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D MK3 or 6D Replacements... when?  (Read 19373 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: Canon 5D MK3 or 6D Replacements... when?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »
I'd say don't wait.  The 5d3 and 6d fit niches that won't go away, the niche canon will seek to fill with more MP and DR is such a different niche that I don't see them rushing to replace the current offerings. 

And seeing what they are doing, we will see a few new FF bodies, my guess is big mp in 1d style will be announced this year but not available till next year.  And a smaller 5dish one will be announced and released in early 2014. Both will most likely have features studio and landscapers will lust for, and us wedding shooters will be looking out for the new thing for us in 2015 (more likely 2016).  I don't work for canon so this is just guessing, but it sounds like a logical path.

So I'd say snag what you need now, if d800e is the way, sell off your canon stuff and replace it.  Or, fill the FF needs with a 6d, 5d3 or 5d2.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:46:08 PM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »
on a side note....using a new process for sensors and other improvements that may make their way into the big MP body, and how that would force canon to replace the 5d3 and 1dx sooner - just look at the 5d2 and the 7d.  The 7d left a lot of 5d2 users saying WTF because of the differences in AF.  Did canon leap to relase and improved 5d2?  nope.  They waited and released what they had planned to release on the schedule they had created. 

Also, re: big MP, I really feel that these new bodies will be very medium formatish and be built with that in mind ---  Hasselbad's only go to ISO 1600 and have a burst rate of - 1 frame / 1.1 seconds.  A high res sensor with great DR built for studio and landscape will probably fit this model, though be a bit less stringent in ISO and burst rate.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 08:02:10 PM »
on a side note....using a new process for sensors and other improvements that may make their way into the big MP body, and how that would force canon to replace the 5d3 and 1dx sooner - just look at the 5d2 and the 7d.  The 7d left a lot of 5d2 users saying WTF because of the differences in AF.  Did canon leap to release and improved 5d2?  nope.  They waited and released what they had planned to release on the schedule they had created. 
Also, re: big MP, I really feel that these new bodies will be very medium formatish and be built with that in mind ---  Hasselbad's only go to ISO 1600 and have a burst rate of - 1 frame / 1.1 seconds.  A high res sensor with great DR built for studio and landscape will probably fit this model, though be a bit less stringent in ISO and burst rate.
Agreed Chuck, I don't think they have any intention of changing their marketing strategy or production schedules at all.  I wouldn't if I was them, they have a working model in place that seems to keep them in good position with regard to market share...  ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

pgsdeepak

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
I was in a similar situation recently and made the jump from 40D to 5D Mark III. I dont have a lot of money either and I dont make money from photos. So I wanted a camera which I can use for a long time and I did not want to regret when new models come in. This was my thought process

1. Just because another superior model come in a year or two, waiting did not make sense. Wait means, I will have to miss a valuable year or two taking photos with my existing camera (which is still excellent, but not nearly as good as a 5D MIII). Then I would miss those good photos which would have been excellent if I take with a 5D MIII (or 6D in some cases)
2. 5D MIII has excellent IQ and features which is on par with or better than some of the best cameras out there for the price. So the chance of feeling bad due to a newer camera release was minor for me.
3. if a new model comes in a year or two, it will take another 8-12 months for the price to drop. if you buy it just after release, you will still keep thinking whether you spent a whole lot more than you actually should have. If you wait, then you are waiting for 2 - 2.5 years. precious time wasted
4. By the time you buy, rumors of new sensor, new features and new technology would already be in place, so the thought process and dilemma continues.
5. If I buy Nikon 800E, I will have to change all my lens, buy a better computer (to process those huge files, you will need  a lot of processing power. Even 5DIII raw images drags photoshop on a 2012 Macbook pro with i5 Pentium processor). More money on hard drives, new lens, expense, expense and more expense and for some reason I dont like Nikon, (may be  because I never used anything other than canon from Point and Shoot onwards.)

So forget about future releases and buy the camera you really want and start taking photos with it. If you think about new releases, the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy fans will never be able to buy a phone as they release a new model with more cool features every year!!!
-pgsdeepak-
5D Mark III, 40D, 24-105L, 17-40 L, 100mm Macro, 70-300mm L IS USM

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
Honestly, if I didn't have a FF camera right now, and I wanted one and could afford one, I'd probably go with a 6D if I were just a general purpose photog or I shot a variety of things professionally.  I think going with a better sensor over the 5D2 is smart.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »

i know nobody here knows what canons plans or is doing in the future.
but what do you think?

does this camera generation will last as long as their predecessor generations?
in case of the 5D MK2 that was 4 years.
i would not want to wait that long.. but when a new generation is out in 12 month i could wait.

Not a chance in hell that anyone knows what Canon's plans are. Canon seems clueless themselves  ;)

There is no point waiting or hoping for an update to an existing camera. The 7D users are waiting for the 7D Mark II for over the past year and a half and there is no clue when the Mark II will be released and with what specifics.

The best camera you can shoot with is the one that is available today, not a year or so down the road. The 5D3 is an awesome camera and is likely to fulfill whatever your shooting requirements are. If you shoot landscapes primarily, a 6D will give you similar / slightly better IQ than a 5D3 for a lot less $$$ while sacrificing some of the features of the 5D3 (which I don't think you need shooting landscapes).
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

heavybarrel

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
With Photoshop/Lightroom you can change your camera profile to get the "correct" skin tone. Search Colorcheck passport or Custom DNG profile. I never have any skin tone problem with Canon.

yeah i know.
still i would want to have as correct colors as possible out of camera.
and it´s well known that canon has a little RED issue.
there are even jokes about the CANON RED... not for nothing.

Doesn't mean to offense, but from what you are saying I think you should spend more time to learn more about photography than chasing gears. I was in the same situation at you, always hold out for the best. But now, I'm more confident with my techniques and knowledge.

again, as i wrote to the other guy,  you have not carefully read or understand (maybe my bad english) my postings.
i have no problems using a 5Dc or 5D MK2 .. but i would not want to buy one when i know i can get even better stuff soon for the same (or nearly the same) money.

that´s what my post is all about.

Actually, hamada, I think that guy made a really nice point about just buying the 5DII. A used II is already quite cheap and I don't think it will go down all that much more if/when a 5D4 were announced. That way, you can enjoy the FF experience for a few more years and then SELL IT when a new one is announced and you won't lose too much money. I'm not sure why you think a used 5DII will be similar money to a new 5D4 but that is just not true.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 04:03:23 AM »
Actually, hamada, I think that guy made a really nice point about just buying the 5DII. A used II is already quite cheap and I don't think it will go down all that much more if/when a 5D4 were announced. That way, you can enjoy the FF experience for a few more years and then SELL IT when a new one is announced and you won't lose too much money. I'm not sure why you think a used 5DII will be similar money to a new 5D4 but that is just not true.

i only wanted to make clear my post is not about image quality concerns... just "purchase value". :)

i think i will go for the 6D and keep my 7D.

the other option would be to sell the 7D and go for a 5D MK3.
but i think i am more flexible when i keep the 7D.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 04:11:44 AM »

i only wanted to make clear my post is not about image quality concerns... just "purchase value". :)

i think i will go for the 6D and keep my 7D.

the other option would be to sell the 7D and go for a 5D MK3.
but i think i am more flexible when i keep the 7D.

Why do you want to keep the 7D? Why not to sell the 7D and get the 5D3 which is better than both the 7D and the 6D put together ... unless you absolutely need to have 2 cameras.

I hope that you are not buying into the 1.6 crop factor magnification myth as a reason for retaining the 7D.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:15:25 AM by J.R. »
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »
Why do you want to keep the 7D? Why not to sell the 7D and get the 5D3 which is better than both the 7D and the 6D put together ... unless you absolutely need to have 2 cameras.

I hope that you are not buying into the 1.6 crop factor magnification myth as a reason for retaining the 7D.

he has a A2 printer.
imho it is no myth when you print big.

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/crop-factor-advantage-7D-5DIII.html

Crop an image from 5DIII to the same  field of view  as an image from 7D

Gain in image width (in pixels) as a result of the above 45% pixel density advantage

Uncropped image width of 7D = 5184 pixels

Cropped image width of 5DIII

to same  field of view  as 7D     =  3568 pixels  (5760 x 22.3 / 36.0)

Relationship:  7D is approximately 45% greater than 5DIII.

+1 .... It matters but ONLY if you print large. I missed the post regarding the A2 printer
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:08:02 AM by J.R. »
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 05:08:22 AM »
All I can say is that Canon have very long lifecycles on their full frame cameras and high end cameras.  And they appear to be getting longer.  The 7D is almost 3.5 years old.

If you do not mind waiting another 2-3 years for the 5DMIII and 6D replacements, then wait.

Personally, that is an eternity for me and I would buy now.   Actually I did, in September 2012 - 5DMIII.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:11:48 AM by cocopop05 »

azezal

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
I say buy a 6d/5d2 for now and start saving for the 2015 5d mark IV
Anonymity is a blessing,Ignorance is bliss

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43:07 AM »
I hope to see the 6D replacement soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43:07 AM »

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 05:51:06 AM »
I would say get the 5DMKIII I moved from the 40D & 7D, the leap is huge.

Its a shame the 5DMKIII got such a bad reception when it was announced just because of price. I was blown away with it when it was announced, I couldn't have told Canon to create a more perfect camera for me. Its basically a full frame 40D with awesome IQ and noise performance with the best AF system Canon has to offer!

Dont be scare-mongered into believing that Canon cameras cant keep up. The banding and shadow issues are a non issue for 90% of shooting and if you know how to use a camera you wont run into these problems. It is more useful when you make a mess of an image and it needs some ridiculous recovery. Low light performance and noise is very very similar in real world application, 11.7EV is nothing to be sniffed at its more than enough range, 22mp is enough to create extremely detailed prints natively at A2 with no upscaling. The amount of people printing at A2 regularly I would say is quite small outside the professional realm.

In the 4 months I have been shooting with the 5DMKIII I have never come across the issue claimed by many, possibly because I expose my pictures properly. 6400ISO is a joy to use, its like 1000ISO on the 7D, a lifesaver. I shot these at 12800ISO recently as a test and they look fantastic, no banding very little noise and with minimal processing or effort.

BMW F30 3 Series interior by tom_scott88, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, light console by tom_scott88, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, centre console climate control by tom_scott88, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, multifunction steering wheel by tom_scott88, on Flickr

BMW F30 3 Series interior, iDrive screen by tom_scott88, on Flickr

This is my thread:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13209.0

Couple of good articles recently on the forum that are worth looking at

http://www.arthurdomagala.com/blog/2012/04/dynamic-range-canon-dslrs-and-shadow-noise-dealing-with-it/

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Which-lenses-should-you-choose-for-your-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs.-Nikon-D800-Competition-is-closer-than-expected

The 5DMKIII is IMO one of the best cameras ever made for professionals. The IQ is stunning, its incredibly sharp, fantastic features, and the addition of the EF line up, there isnt really anything else I would want in the 5DMKIII. They have sold like hotcakes and most pros I know own them or want one. I dont know anyone who has switched to Nikon because of it mostly amateurs who dont use their cameras commercially.

But the D800 is a fantastic camera and it is cheaper but the files are just ridiculously large, you would not only have to invest in a new camera and lens system you would have to invest in a high end machine to edit them! Without even thinking about storage. If landscape is your thing I would say ye go for it the D800 is made for it, but the 5DMKIII is the best all round FF camera on the market and as the thread above suggests the sharpness is very close between them and much easier to get across the board with the Canon lenses.

But the D800 is slow for most other application and the file sizes are excessive for use and would need to be downsized in most cases. Fantastic for cropping, but where is the skill theres no point in composing lol! But if the best is all that will do then its a great camera but its not without its problems too. The IQ of a camera is important but the features and use of it are of equal importance, which is where the 5D is better IMO.

The 6D I wasn't sold on, the cameras performance is fantastic on par with the 5DMKIII in some cases better but if you are using primes wide open with only one cross point right in the middle focusing and recomposing will lead to focus shift. Would have been another perfect camera for a lot of people if they had put the 7D AF in it, in fact I would have bought one to go with my 5DMKIII instead I will get a second 5D.

I think coming from the 7D you will be blown away. I was pretty disappointed with the 7D not for its features or even high ISO performance but its IQ where it counts at 100-400 where I shoot primarily. The 5D is so clean here its amazing. You can play a waiting game for as long as you want but I don't see another 5D for 18-24 months. If you are really worried about DR then just bracket, then you will realise you don't need to.

Hope this helps :)
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

gjeb

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 05:51:33 AM »
I registered just so i can reply to this topic. Hah!!! http://canonrumors.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif

I too am using a 7d and heavily invested in L glass.  Earlier this year, I bought a Nikon D600 but returned it - dust and oil after just 300 shots.  The IQ and DR is definitely their but their manufacturing QA is definitely not. 

My gut feeling is that Canon will need to move faster to answer Nikon's IQ and DR advancement in order  to not lose out on new users and system switchers.  How much faster, I do not know, but they will need to do something sooner than later.

So right now, I am just waiting and saving.  Just my gut feeling (nothing else) Canon will surprise us soon!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 05:51:33 AM »