Canon Rumors General > Site Information

Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum

(1/11) > >>

unfocused:
I don't know how many times I've sworn I was going to just stop posting on this forum.

After about the 10,000th thread regurgitating the same talking points it all becomes a little too much. Then someone posts something interesting or insightful and I am hooked again.

Things I like:

1) It's truly an international forum. I like hearing the perspective of people from all over the world and feeling that in some small way I have a connection to those in other countries.

2) There are some very good professionals who take the time to participate and share their knowledge.

3) There are people willing to share their personal experience and advice on equipment purchases.

4) There are people who know far more about the technology of today's equipment than I will ever know or even care to know.

5) Occasionally I pick up usable tips.

Things I hate:

1) Reading 10 million threads all repeating the same talking points on issues like sensors, dynamic range, ISO performance, shadow detail, etc. etc. Most of which don't have the tiniest thing to do with the quality of an image.

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

3) Individuals who "critique" the photos others post, pointing out insignificant or non-existent "flaws" that only shows how little they themselves know about composition and what makes a compelling photograph.

4) Individuals who post pictures asking for critiques, not knowing that most of opinions they get on this forum will consist of very bad advice. (And then taking offense at the ill-informed critiques)

5) Moderators who are often too quick to hit the "delete" button.

6) Commenters who have no sense of humor themselves and can't abide anyone else having a sense of humor. 

I could go on, but that's a good start. How about others? What is it that makes you want to never again return to this site. And what is it that keeps bringing you back here?

RGF:
Basically agree with additional point.   Rumors can be fun and we can talk about what we want.   I don't take rumors and comments about them seriously and find that at times I get bored.  All in all, I plan to hang around fora while.

Mt Spokane Photography:
I think that posts insulting another user or trying to start or flaming should be removed.  Criticism of a image post should be given only when requested, or maybe a forum for critique.

The mods can't prevent someone from starting the 1000'th thread on a subject, maybe more combining of threads. 

As you note, there are those who post more, but its continually bullying others that is sometimes overpowering.  Firing back a insulting post is not useful.  Ignore the posts or report them if they affect you.

It would be nice to have a ignore user "XX" function, but we don't have it.

pierceography:
Being what I consider a "learning amateur" photographer with a recent gear budget that's larger than it should be, I'm able to glean quite a bit from these forums.  There are quite a few very knowledgeable people in here.

That being said, for every knowledgeable person in the CR forums, there's another person equally rude or otherwise lacking in proper manners.

AprilForever:

--- Quote from: unfocused on April 04, 2013, 01:24:31 PM ---I don't know how many times I've sworn I was going to just stop posting on this forum.

After about the 10,000th thread regurgitating the same talking points it all becomes a little too much. Then someone posts something interesting or insightful and I am hooked again.

Things I like:

1) It's truly an international forum. I like hearing the perspective of people from all over the world and feeling that in some small way I have a connection to those in other countries.

2) There are some very good professionals who take the time to participate and share their knowledge.

3) There are people willing to share their personal experience and advice on equipment purchases.

4) There are people who know far more about the technology of today's equipment than I will ever know or even care to know.

5) Occasionally I pick up usable tips.

Things I hate:

1) Reading 10 million threads all repeating the same talking points on issues like sensors, dynamic range, ISO performance, shadow detail, etc. etc. Most of which don't have the tiniest thing to do with the quality of an image.

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

3) Individuals who "critique" the photos others post, pointing out insignificant or non-existent "flaws" that only shows how little they themselves know about composition and what makes a compelling photograph.

4) Individuals who post pictures asking for critiques, not knowing that most of opinions they get on this forum will consist of very bad advice. (And then taking offense at the ill-informed critiques)

5) Moderators who are often too quick to hit the "delete" button.

6) Commenters who have no sense of humor themselves and can't abide anyone else having a sense of humor. 

I could go on, but that's a good start. How about others? What is it that makes you want to never again return to this site. And what is it that keeps bringing you back here?

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but everything wrong with this forum is also wrong with human nature, and exists in every other forum on the Earth. This is actually a rather friendly forum compared to many...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version