October 21, 2014, 10:04:09 PM

Author Topic: Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum  (Read 7342 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
I don't know how many times I've sworn I was going to just stop posting on this forum.

After about the 10,000th thread regurgitating the same talking points it all becomes a little too much. Then someone posts something interesting or insightful and I am hooked again.

Things I like:

1) It's truly an international forum. I like hearing the perspective of people from all over the world and feeling that in some small way I have a connection to those in other countries.

2) There are some very good professionals who take the time to participate and share their knowledge.

3) There are people willing to share their personal experience and advice on equipment purchases.

4) There are people who know far more about the technology of today's equipment than I will ever know or even care to know.

5) Occasionally I pick up usable tips.

Things I hate:

1) Reading 10 million threads all repeating the same talking points on issues like sensors, dynamic range, ISO performance, shadow detail, etc. etc. Most of which don't have the tiniest thing to do with the quality of an image.

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

3) Individuals who "critique" the photos others post, pointing out insignificant or non-existent "flaws" that only shows how little they themselves know about composition and what makes a compelling photograph.

4) Individuals who post pictures asking for critiques, not knowing that most of opinions they get on this forum will consist of very bad advice. (And then taking offense at the ill-informed critiques)

5) Moderators who are often too quick to hit the "delete" button.

6) Commenters who have no sense of humor themselves and can't abide anyone else having a sense of humor. 

I could go on, but that's a good start. How about others? What is it that makes you want to never again return to this site. And what is it that keeps bringing you back here?

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »
Basically agree with additional point.   Rumors can be fun and we can talk about what we want.   I don't take rumors and comments about them seriously and find that at times I get bored.  All in all, I plan to hang around fora while.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
I think that posts insulting another user or trying to start or flaming should be removed.  Criticism of a image post should be given only when requested, or maybe a forum for critique.

The mods can't prevent someone from starting the 1000'th thread on a subject, maybe more combining of threads. 

As you note, there are those who post more, but its continually bullying others that is sometimes overpowering.  Firing back a insulting post is not useful.  Ignore the posts or report them if they affect you.

It would be nice to have a ignore user "XX" function, but we don't have it.

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
Being what I consider a "learning amateur" photographer with a recent gear budget that's larger than it should be, I'm able to glean quite a bit from these forums.  There are quite a few very knowledgeable people in here.

That being said, for every knowledgeable person in the CR forums, there's another person equally rude or otherwise lacking in proper manners.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
I don't know how many times I've sworn I was going to just stop posting on this forum.

After about the 10,000th thread regurgitating the same talking points it all becomes a little too much. Then someone posts something interesting or insightful and I am hooked again.

Things I like:

1) It's truly an international forum. I like hearing the perspective of people from all over the world and feeling that in some small way I have a connection to those in other countries.

2) There are some very good professionals who take the time to participate and share their knowledge.

3) There are people willing to share their personal experience and advice on equipment purchases.

4) There are people who know far more about the technology of today's equipment than I will ever know or even care to know.

5) Occasionally I pick up usable tips.

Things I hate:

1) Reading 10 million threads all repeating the same talking points on issues like sensors, dynamic range, ISO performance, shadow detail, etc. etc. Most of which don't have the tiniest thing to do with the quality of an image.

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

3) Individuals who "critique" the photos others post, pointing out insignificant or non-existent "flaws" that only shows how little they themselves know about composition and what makes a compelling photograph.

4) Individuals who post pictures asking for critiques, not knowing that most of opinions they get on this forum will consist of very bad advice. (And then taking offense at the ill-informed critiques)

5) Moderators who are often too quick to hit the "delete" button.

6) Commenters who have no sense of humor themselves and can't abide anyone else having a sense of humor. 

I could go on, but that's a good start. How about others? What is it that makes you want to never again return to this site. And what is it that keeps bringing you back here?

Sorry, but everything wrong with this forum is also wrong with human nature, and exists in every other forum on the Earth. This is actually a rather friendly forum compared to many...

What is truth?

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
Personally, I like this site very much and the info, reviews, ideas and tech knowledge that resides on it. I think there are multitudes of different shooters on here that provide lots of different opinions. Sometimes there are insults and differences but, it's a great big world. Besides, how else would I find out about the firmware update for the EOS-M that's coming soon?  ;)
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

Efka76

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
I like this forum very much. It's great that there are very knowledgeable photographers who are always willing to help, explain or advice on practically all matters that relate to photography. From them I can learn a lot! Also, it is very interesting to know in advance what I should expect in advance in relation to new gear releases.
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »

iKenndac

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
This forum is one of the most polarising experiences I've had on a forum, and it's one of the reasons my post count is pretty low.

One the one hand, whenever I post questions or contribute to a thread I tend to get well informed, polite posts that are genuinely helpful and intelligent. That part of this community is wonderful.

On the other hand, whenever I go near a thread about actual cameras (i.e., the hardware that Canon produces), the thread more often than not devolves into name-calling, arguing, the confusion between fact and opinion and childish personal attacks.

Of course, the last part of my second point is present to some degree everywhere, but because I don't come here that often I haven't learned the names of the people I need to avoid, and as a newbie it paints a fairly negative picture of this place, however unfair that may actually be to the rest of the community. I know there are nice people in here, but you wouldn't be able to tell just by coming here and clicking on the recent threads list on the homepage!

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
I agree with all of your likes. I can deal with most of the dislikes, though I am in particular agreement by your last two comments. I have seen quite a few posts, which may not have been particularly "helpful", but were not offensive and were at least slightly amusing, get deleted. I think the whole community could have a better sense of humor-both moderators and posters alike. And yes, some of those deleted posts were mine :P There is much bad advice and even worse critiques, but this is not a classroom, it is a forum. Though I have been snapping pictures for years, I have only relatively recently begun learning how to take good photos, and I find this forum to be an excellent resource for general learning, photographic tips and gear evaluation. There are some trolls and some folks who just take everything too seriously, but, for the most part, I find this to be an agreeable diversion.

PS  I am particularly tired of some frequent posters frequently posting how posting is a waste of time and advising everyone to "go out and shoot." Thanks for allowing me to share in your little rant and have a nice day...

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
I stopped reading for awhile.  But to be honest, there seems to be a bit of an upswing in the quality of some of the threads.  So I have been reading more often for awhile now.  Ironically, it seems that the fewer "rumors" the better the content of the forums. 

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
I stopped reading for awhile.  But to be honest, there seems to be a bit of an upswing in the quality of some of the threads.  So I have been reading more often for awhile now.  Ironically, it seems that the fewer "rumors" the better the content of the forums.

+1

Things tend to go south when there are new model announcements, lots of flaming and arguments about how disappointing, and then the name calling. 

I think some members just stay away for a few days when that is going on.

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »
Good post, unfocused.

I feel that there is, on rare occasion, an excess of pedantry, usually as a tool in reaction to cognitive dissonance.

And there are a couple of members that I find sometimes bordering on obnoxious in their attempts to persuade others of their beliefs. Yet a day or a week later, some of those very individuals seem helpful and rational. I guess it goes with the territory.

Bottom line: I do love the site, and there are many very helpful and interesting people here.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
Overall I’m amazed at the openness of many of the pro photogs on this forum willing to give up their knowledge, particularly technique to help others it is there lively hood after all. The few times I’ve asked for advice I’ve been given solid help and it’s been most appreciated.

The other thing that keeps me coming back is the photographs posted. There are particular photographers that I have found consistently inspiring, and am downright envious of their talent so I’m not going to mention them  ;)

As for the bickering that erupts occasionally, well it’s a bit like the Jeremy Kyle show no one admits to watching it but if I’m honest it is kinda entertaining  :P

Bottom line: I’m hooked!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 06:53:16 PM »
I'm relatively new to this forum and I hear what you're say'n but all the negatives come with the territory.  It's the nature of the medium unfortunately ... 

You also have to remember that its not costing you anything to join most forums, unless that forum offers say a paid subscription level membership that possibly includes other services: e.g buy and sell, etc.

I belong to several photography forums: film and digital; 35mm and larger formats; astronomy, etc., and without fail, there will be a few individuals that like to stir the pot; spew vitriol; act up and act out, etc. etc. etc.  As long as Internet forums in general allow you to be anonymous in some form or fashion, you're gonna have individuals who can't be held accountable for the things they post.

What separates some forums from others is how engaged the moderators are at monitoring their respective site and whether or not the rules are enforced.  Some forums give what I'll refer to as a "cooling off period," if you're a repeat offender.  In other words, they'll block your account from posting any comments or starting a thread for say 24 - 36 hrs., so that hopefully, you see the light and mend your ways.

Other forums have tried deleting a users account after egregious violations.  Unfortunately, that doesn't really work because a person can always create another account with a different alias.   But after awhile,  you recognize them for who they are.  As for the repetition of topics and questions - again, its the nature of the beast.  Most search engine features (if you bother to use a search feature) on a site or anywhere else are gonna return way too many search results that are gonna be difficult to narrow down to what you're looking for - and sometimes, you just don't know.  It's hit or miss. 

Can't find what your looking for? =  Start a new thread with (you guessed it) ...

Maybe tailor some FAQ sticky's that can address most of the general questions people are going to ask.
But that becomes a slippery slope.   Where do you draw the line?

Bottomline:  You gotta take the bitter with the sweet.  I know its a cliche but its true.  Learn what you can and ignore the rest.  Don't engage in tit-for-tat; don't insult total strangers; don't fall for the rope-a-dope, or reel-you-in tirades that push all your buttons and suck you into a nasty verbal exchange. 

You're not required to play that game. 

If you can answer someone's inquiry, lend a bit of constructive assistance or guidance, by all means. 

We learn from each other - but being rude and bellicose in the process is a choice.  It doesn't have to be yours.
5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

gary samples

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
when I found canon rumors I was glad thinking people who use and love canon cameras & lens. it didn't take long to see I  was very wrong been thinking about leaving for  some time now. maybe go to Nikon rumors if they have one to find all the canon guys living there  since all the Nikon fan boys are here !!  really don't like the wild west attitude no one in charge trouble makers just keep coming back to screw things up for the few good guys here. I try not to read all the bull crap posts but there is so many most of them I think never even owned a camera . maybe I Should  cherry pick the posts more and not spend so much  time here and just have a look once in a wile for new gear rumors .      Gary 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:38:24 PM by gary samples »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »