September 17, 2014, 12:05:00 PM

Author Topic: Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum  (Read 6978 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »
Do you consider your wife as a perfect "woman" in the world?

That must surely depend whether she is a member of CR or not, and she knows who you are!!  ;)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »

rifz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 02:11:05 AM »
Is there a way to start at the beginning of a thread, instead of the end?  thanks

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:09:15 AM »
I like Canon Rumors, it helps me unwind but sometimes it also gets me wound up ;D
Although I don't like some posts, for the most part I still do learn something new or interesting from them.
For me CR has been a very informative forum and I like reading and contributing here.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 03:19:17 AM »

I could go on, but that's a good start. How about others? What is it that makes you want to never again return to this site. And what is it that keeps bringing you back here?

There are two sort of users:
- Group 1: Photography enthusiasts who use Canon gear and want to learn more or exchange opinions about it, but are also ready to criticize Canon when they're disappointed about a product and/or comparing Canon's offer to the competition;
- Group 2: Canon enthusiasts who have a sort of religious-like attitude toward their favourite multinational company and take every negative feedback as an outrage to their person.

So what happens is that whenever someone from Group 1 criticizes Canon (or praises another company) about something there will be someone from Group 2 calling him a troll or - the most ludicrous - a bad photographer. Every sort of argument will be used to prove that Canon is better - even if they're plainly and extremely OT.

In my experience the second group is the problem, as it is aggressive: they often feel personally attacked and reply consequently. It happens the same (or even worse) in Apple-dedicated fora as well as local/national Canon Club boards. The attitude towards DxO measurement would be an example of that: they don't say that my gear is better? They're a bunch of fools and they don't know what they're talking about.

In my experience, in other boards where people are less biased about one or another company, things are smoother. People don't feel outraged by negative comments about this or that, so they don't reply aggressively and rudely, and no flame is triggered. Actually, it's important to know what's good and what's bad about a piece of gear, and when people seek this sort of unbiased knowledge the whole environment is more relaxed and polite and people are more motivated to post well-written replies and keep it peaceful and civilized.

So why am I here? As a Canon user it's always interesting to see how people handle their Canon-compatible gear. Knowing the strenghts and the limits of something gives me a good idea of what is worth buying and what is not. But I definitely belong to Group 1: I shoot both Canon and Nikon and I absolutely don't care about brands. I always try to buy the best gear I can afford, so I'm not interested in praising Canon products for the sake of it. That's not constructive.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 03:24:06 AM »
personally I am also really sick of the MASS DR DEBATE. all the posts and threads relating to that waffle should be quarantined to an area labled "YES WE KNOW THE D800 IS TEH BESTESTER AND HAS 14 STOPS OF DR!!!!1!!"

but there is a wealth of information here, as you said many people share alot of info and there is plenty to be learned. I'm always learning new things on this site :D

I think you can learn more here than paying thousands of dollars to a "pro's" workshop where they share a little select bit of info and gloss over the parts that are REALLY going to help. because at the end of the day they dont really want you to be competative with them

the international multicultural aspect is also good
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:25:37 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:58 AM »
I think it`s interesting to read some opinions and news.
And to see, how others work with their equipment.

Nothing about love or hate.

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
I really like canonrumors because
  * there is a lot of knowledge based opinion (which has much more reliability than simple tech specs)
  * a wide spread attitude to help others if they do some decisions
  * a lot of tech info about existing hardware, software and its combinations
  * some information about upcoming trends

Sometimes I see some "fanatic fights" between persons - but I try to filter the arguments from these debates and if there is nothing left ... what the hell.

If discussions go mad: A good motivation for doing what cameras a lenses are aimed at, taking photos. - Best, Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »

I could go on, but that's a good start. How about others? What is it that makes you want to never again return to this site. And what is it that keeps bringing you back here?

There are two sort of users:
- Group 1: Photography enthusiasts who use Canon gear and want to learn more or exchange opinions about it, but are also ready to criticize Canon when they're disappointed about a product and/or comparing Canon's offer to the competition;
- Group 2: Canon enthusiasts who have a sort of religious-like attitude toward their favourite multinational company and take every negative feedback as an outrage to their person.

So what happens is that whenever someone from Group 1 criticizes Canon (or praises another company) about something there will be someone from Group 2 calling him a troll or - the most ludicrous - a bad photographer. Every sort of argument will be used to prove that Canon is better - even if they're plainly and extremely OT.

In my experience the second group is the problem, as it is aggressive: they often feel personally attacked and reply consequently. It happens the same (or even worse) in Apple-dedicated fora as well as local/national Canon Club boards. The attitude towards DxO measurement would be an example of that: they don't say that my gear is better? They're a bunch of fools and they don't know what they're talking about.

In my experience, in other boards where people are less biased about one or another company, things are smoother. People don't feel outraged by negative comments about this or that, so they don't reply aggressively and rudely, and no flame is triggered. Actually, it's important to know what's good and what's bad about a piece of gear, and when people seek this sort of unbiased knowledge the whole environment is more relaxed and polite and people are more motivated to post well-written replies and keep it peaceful and civilized.

So why am I here? As a Canon user it's always interesting to see how people handle their Canon-compatible gear. Knowing the strenghts and the limits of something gives me a good idea of what is worth buying and what is not. But I definitely belong to Group 1: I shoot both Canon and Nikon and I absolutely don't care about brands. I always try to buy the best gear I can afford, so I'm not interested in praising Canon products for the sake of it. That's not constructive.
And then let's add a third group of people that are spending their time on this forum badmouthing Canon in attempts to get attention for whatever reasons. They normally say that they are non-biased and calling themselves the true photographers, but they are always biased against Canon and are constantly getting in the way for balanced discussions.

PKinDenmark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:49 AM »
This thread made me register and enter my first response / post here.

I enjoy the CR Forum.
It is very informative and several very skilled and well-informed people offer valuable information. Also a good share of the many questions asked relate well to my interests.
Thank you !!

Having learned (through around 6 months of following the forum) to find the golden nuggets and skip the stuff less relevant for me (or idling), I gain a lot of knowledge from CR Forum.

Being an photo-active hobbyist, I try to be not too gear-obsessed, but focus on making photographs.
I generally find that the most important way to improve is not by changing the gear but by learning how to photograph better.
That said I am now mature for a body upgrade. I started out with a Canon G5 (loved it),  moved to an EOS 450D/rebel XSi (even more so), now with a nice set of Canon optics. Has served me well for almost 5 years.
Now my head spins with considerations like:  Crop of FF? What specific news to come from Canon re. crop-bodies? How big a move to make? etc.

Here CR Forum serves my need for information perfectly. (And I may start posting my own questions soon).
Keen amateur. Current kit: Canon 6D since April 2013. 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 IS, 50 f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8 L IS, Canon 1.4x II TC, 16-35 f/2.8 (I). 420 EX.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 06:22:23 AM »
I followed CR for some time as a rumour site, and found it interesting. Began to read some of the forum posts and found that unlike other forum 'discussions' that I had come across CR seemed to be populated, on the whole, by intelligent, courteous people who either knew their stuff or were a sponge to receive the information.

Also many of the photos posted were ( and are ) superb. So I joined and it's the only forum I have ever been involved in.

Inevitably you get a few of the aggressive 'forum speak' posters who can be insulting whilst hiding behind anonymity, but they are generally few and far between.

With regard to the continual resurfacing of topics such as ( the dreaded ) DR, despite the often inane postings by troubled souls, there is some really good information that can be gleaned, such as the fact that Canon sensors respond better to over exposing slightly if the EV range allows. So even the latest rant on the subject was not totally in vain.

The more aggressively a poster puts his view across the less likely it is to hold any substance, so it's often easy to avoid following Red Herrings.

I also enjoy the truly global scope of the forum - it's not so much it's a small world, it's just we move in small circles  ;D

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 06:26:15 AM »
As an old guy in the process of semi-retiring, I decided several years ago to learn photography as a hobby to occupy all my extra spare time. Started by reading photo mags and books and even watched Peter Lik on TV. Then started reading a bunch of online photography websites. Eventually found CR forum. Now I am addicted to CR. I hardly ever look at any other websites or read books anymore. I have learned a lot here about equipment and technique. Also, I get to look at so many talented people's posted photos for ideas and inspiration. The good here greatly outweighs the bad (which I try to just ignore).  :)

PS-Gary, I hope you were just joking about leaving...I really love seeing your photos 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

boateggs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »
I have to agree with you. Myself as a self taught picture taker has learened a lot from here. There was one point that you listed in the negative column that has bugged me for a while:

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

Dylyan777, if you read this, I get it, you have an awesome setup but quit hijacking every thread to say that people should have what you have. Your setup is what I want but we are not all prepared to drop $10k+ for family pictures like you (you admitted this on a thread once). Some of us just have fun and this is a hobby, without the need to drop $2k+ on every piece in our stable.

I like it here and have learned a lot. I just avoid all of the new camera threads for a few months, I'll wait until people calm down about not getting at 1DX for the price/body of a 6D.
T3i | 15-85mm | 70-300mm L | ∑ 30mm | ∑ 50mm | 430exII

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:22 AM »
I love it here. Found some great contacts. The ones that tend to be 'not-so-nice' I just ignore.
The advice and technical bits are awesome. The Nikon vs. Canon debate could go, it's the same as the age old Mac vs. PC... to each their own.
I'm going to be sticking around for some time to come. :)
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:22 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 06:54:13 AM »
I have to agree with you. Myself as a self taught picture taker has learened a lot from here. There was one point that you listed in the negative column that has bugged me for a while:

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

Dylyan777, if you read this, I get it, you have an awesome setup but quit hijacking every thread to say that people should have what you have. Your setup is what I want but we are not all prepared to drop $10k+ for family pictures like you (you admitted this on a thread once). Some of us just have fun and this is a hobby, without the need to drop $2k+ on every piece in our stable.

I like it here and have learned a lot. I just avoid all of the new camera threads for a few months, I'll wait until people calm down about not getting at 1DX for the price/body of a 6D.
Wow, I've always had Dylan777 on the 'good guy list', do I have to change that now?

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »

Wow, I've always had Dylan777 on the 'good guy list', do I have to change that now?

LOL ... I wouldn't think so ... he hasn't done anything of the sort in this thread ;D
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »