July 29, 2014, 12:40:16 AM

Author Topic: FoCal 1.8.1 Released for Windows and Mac  (Read 2024 times)

stringfellow1946

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Chris Weston Photography
FoCal 1.8.1 Released for Windows and Mac
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
Anyone know if this NOW works 100% OK on The Mac using Mountain Lion 10.8.3? & Snow Leopard. And more importantly is it any good? I need to set up the len's on a EOS 1Dmk4 & EOS 1DX. Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

1DX, 1Dmk4, 1D2N, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8 is II L, 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/2.5 macro, 85 f/1.8, 300 f/4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

FoCal 1.8.1 Released for Windows and Mac
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

iKenndac

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: FoCal 1.8.1 Released for Windows and Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
I used FoCal 1.8.1 last weekend to run sharpness tests and AFMA calibration on a number of lenses. In total, I think I was using the program for a couple of hours and didn't have any trouble using Mountain Lion.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
I spent hours and hours trying to get it to work consistently on my PC and my 24-70L.  Part of it was me, but I finally got it going.

There were no issues with the main AFMA portion, I was trying the extra tools like the testing of each AF point, the dust detection, the aperture test, repeatability, etc.

Eventually, I got them all run on my laptop, but my desktop did not like it.  Its getting old, and might have some issues.

I'd like to spend more time and do it more carefully, but after running the wide and telephoto AFMA tests three times with the same results, I'm happy.  First, I need to reread the manual.  The AF point test seemed to vary,  I think that I wasn't properly setup.

I will be looking at my images closely just to make sure everything is sharp.

stringfellow1946

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Chris Weston Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:03:17 PM »
I spent hours and hours trying to get it to work consistently on my PC and my 24-70L.  Part of it was me, but I finally got it going.

There were no issues with the main AFMA portion, I was trying the extra tools like the testing of each AF point, the dust detection, the aperture test, repeatability, etc.

Eventually, I got them all run on my laptop, but my desktop did not like it.  Its getting old, and might have some issues.

I'd like to spend more time and do it more carefully, but after running the wide and telephoto AFMA tests three times with the same results, I'm happy.  First, I need to reread the manual.  The AF point test seemed to vary,  I think that I wasn't properly setup.

So are you saying its difficult to set up? as I too need to check AFMA on a 24-70 Mk2 & a 70-200 f2.8 Mk 2 lens, as well as some primes.
1DX, 1Dmk4, 1D2N, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8 is II L, 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/2.5 macro, 85 f/1.8, 300 f/4 L.

TAW

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
I spent about 5 hours with Focal last weekend (first time using the software).   It worked on my desktop (Dell) in RAW and JPG mode but on my laptop (Dell also), only JPG mode worked.  The program locked up when I used RAW on the laptop (I tried it in USB 2 and USB 3 ports). 

I calibrated a 1Dx and a 5D Mark III with 24-70 II, a 70-200 IS II, a 200 2.0 & a 400 2.8 IS II.  I did most of tests two times and the adjustment was normally the same - a few times one number different.  I was very happy with how the tests yielded consistant results.  One odd thing was Focal always failed at the first test with the 5D Mark III and the 400 2.8 IS II.  I won't use that combination anyways but I tried 1/2 dozen times and just couldn't get it to work with that combination.

Sorry I can't be any help re the Mac

tom
It's not the the snake bite that kills you, it chasing after the snake.

redelses

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
I was also looking into the new version to use on a Mac with a 5D III. Anyone else have experience with how it's working on a Mac? There seems to be a few details in the installation that have to be followed very specifically.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »

So are you saying its difficult to set up? as I too need to check AFMA on a 24-70 Mk2 & a 70-200 f2.8 Mk 2 lens, as well as some primes.
No, its easy.  I tried using it on my old desktop to run some of the new features.  My old eyes find it difficult to see the screen on my 12 in Lenovo Laptop.

It installs and runs fine on the laptop, so its something in the older pc.  I'm about to replace it soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
I was also looking into the new version to use on a Mac with a 5D III. Anyone else have experience with how it's working on a Mac? There seems to be a few details in the installation that have to be followed very specifically.

Bombproof on my retina MBP.  I use it lots.  The key is getting the right version of Mono. You cannot just go download the most recent version of mono

See this support email I received.

Hi Brian,

It looks like you're using the wrong version of mono - you should install the version listed in the manual - this can be found on www.fo-cal.co.uk/mono

That should resolve the issues you're having

many thanks

greg

On Mon, Jan 7 at 6:24 PM , Brian wrote:
Subject: Focal Pro, nothing but Fully Automatic works.

FoCal Type: FoCal Pro for Mac
FoCal Version: 1.7.0.250M

Message Body:
Hello,

I’m using Focal Pro for Mac with a Canon 6D.

It gives me a warning message which I have attached when I start the program.

Whenever I try to use a function other than Fully-Automatic, Focal crashes with no warning or message. Is there a way to resolve this?

Yours,
Brian

Also for those of you having inconsistent or poor results, more than 10eV is the key.  A single 500w halogen work lamp wasn't bright enough for me indoors, I had to use 2 to get anywhere near consistent results.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

dswtan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
Also for those of you having inconsistent or poor results, more than 10eV is the key.  A single 500w halogen work lamp wasn't bright enough for me indoors, I had to use 2 to get anywhere near consistent results.
+1 on enough light. I have generally worked below 10, but I agree you need as much as possible, and yes, I needed two lamps too. Also I found it was critical to cover up the camera viewfinder (as the manual says). Forgetting that, I often didn't even see a curve.

I like Reikan FoCal very much for the peace of mind. Its plots (pro version at least) are very believable. I sleep well at nights now. :-)
http://500px.com/dswtan  |  5D3, 7D, IR 5D2, IR M, G15

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
just got this software the other day and today i gave it my first run with my 300mm and 300mm with 1.4 tele. I ran it on my wife's mac (10.6.8) and it ran okay. They weren't ideal conditions dure to wind today, but the results looked consistent. The "curve" was easy to see, but due the wind there were a number of "fliers". Focal thought that my results were good. 300mm at zero and 420mm at -8. i'll see how that works out. well, i know how the 300mm at zero is, but it's good to see focal agree.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
just got this software the other day and today i gave it my first run with my 300mm and 300mm with 1.4 tele. I ran it on my wife's mac (10.6. 8) and it ran okay. They weren't ideal conditions dure to wind today, but the results looked consistent. The "curve" was easy to see, but due the wind there were a number of "fliers". Focal thought that my results were good. 300mm at zero and 420mm at -8. i'll see how that works out. well, i know how the 300mm at zero is, but it's good to see focal agree.
You can view the images that focal captured at various AFMA settings and see if the setting looks right.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »