October 21, 2014, 08:16:44 PM

Author Topic: Introducing the MōVI Stabilizer  (Read 10398 times)

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the MōVI Stabilizer
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »
I see the BIF guy, running along the edge of the forest chasing birds!  haha!

Yes...except BIF guy's wife would be the one running with the gimbal, while BIF-guy manipulates the joystick from a lawn-chair.

;D ;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
It does look awesome, but out of my budget range.
Maybe it will be affordable at daily rental rates.

pelebel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »
Too expensive to be called "indie"
5D mkII, T2i with 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 135mm f/2 L and 50mm f/1.8 II Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
Too expensive to be called "indie"
Rental!!  The cost of renting a high end capability is much more today, so if you need it, its a bargain.  If you don't, ...

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
I am blown away by this and I don't even do filming. I agree it is a game changer, think of the time you could save with this. To be ready to shoot at pretty much anytime is amazing.
The price isn't bad for what it does and the things it will replace.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »
I think I'll wait for the Chinese to clone it for $1500/$750.

Not sure I see this happening anytime soon. The secret sauce seems to be the extremely quiet and responsive motors used, as well as the controller used to maintain the stabilization.

Plus the fact that I don't see most of the Chinese knockoffs to work as well. Perhaps they'll work pretty well, but unless you spend the money for high tolerance parts, it won't even match up to what this can do.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Midphase

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
It is $7500 because of the tax to pay for our welfare economy with over-regulation.

Sigh...you just had to throw that in there?  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »

Roger Jones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »
It is $7500 because of the tax to pay for our welfare economy with over-regulation.

Yeah tomsop go grind your ax in the redstate forums.

There won't be a Chinese clone of this any time soon (or ever) because the value add is in the software. The Chinese cloners are good at copying things like the glide cam that are essentially mechanical but they don't have the ability to develop sophisticated software implementations yet. I suspected that this was the type of thing that laforet would be hyping but I was hoping that it would be cheaper. It looked to me like 80% of the non areal shots could have been done with a steadicam/ glide cam + vest that costs 10-20% of the møvi. Also there was no audio. There have been numerous servo stabilizer platforms but the problem with them is noise, the buzzing and clicking of the motors and platforms. This thing is claimed to be silent but thats a subjective term. Looks cool and definitely points to a future direction but I'll have to see some user reviews rather than marketing videos before I decide if its worth the investment.

epyonxero

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »

Yeah tomsop go grind your ax in the redstate forums.

There won't be a Chinese clone of this any time soon (or ever) because the value add is in the software. The Chinese cloners are good at copying things like the glide cam that are essentially mechanical but they don't have the ability to develop sophisticated software implementations yet. I suspected that this was the type of thing that laforet would be hyping but I was hoping that it would be cheaper. It looked to me like 80% of the non areal shots could have been done with a steadicam/ glide cam + vest that costs 10-20% of the møvi. Also there was no audio. There have been numerous servo stabilizer platforms but the problem with them is noise, the buzzing and clicking of the motors and platforms. This thing is claimed to be silent but thats a subjective term. Looks cool and definitely points to a future direction but I'll have to see some user reviews rather than marketing videos before I decide if its worth the investment.

You can buy a controller today for $60 and the software is open source. This product is really just a brushless multirotor gimbal without the multirotor. The big difference is the size, nobody is flying a camera the size of a 1DC from a multicopter so the current gimbals are made to handle smaller cameras. But if you had no intention of flying it, it wouldnt take much more than larger motors and higher current capacity from the controller to make a handheld gimbal like this. Id say you could make a gimbal like this for $1000.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

I was thinking the same thing . . . I can't seem to escape this crap on ANY forum.  Sad.

I cringe any time China or High Price is mentioned; I was napping during most of Economics and History and I've got a better understanding than a lot of these people.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »
My question is, how do you pan and control your pan ?? Tilt up or down and then back to position ?? Is it really worth that much ??

It's a two-operator rig. One person holds it and moves it through the scene. The other remotely aims the camera using a wireless joystick.

There's a video on Vince's blog that shows a guy waving the rig around like crazy and the camera stays rock solid steady in the middle of it.

I'd say that, yes, definitely, this is a game changer.

First, buying the rig outright costs as much as a single day's rental of many of the other pro stabilization rigs. That's not at all unlike the 5DII, whose purchase price was also a fraction of the cost of a large format digital film rig capable of taking fast glass.

Next, it can do almost everything that the traditional support systems can -- tracks, dollies, booms, all that sort of thing. Maybe not always quite as well, but, if you're on a budget (and keep in mind that "budget" films are themselves very expensive), it'll certainly meet the 80/20 rule and then some.

Last, it can do all sorts of new things that the old rigs can't do. That shot with the operator on roller skates following the cab, for example. I can also imagine physically handing the camera through a window or other small opening, or smoothly attaching it mid-shot to a pulley to raise it to the roof, where it again gets quickly disconnected while another operator continues the shot and runs down the fire escape -- that sort of thing.

Yeah, it's a game changer, even if only in the world of video where several grand for a support system is pocket change.

Cheers,

b&

yeah it does seem to be pretty awesome indeed

(a bit expensive and tricky for say the joe blow lone individual DSLR owner so it's not quite what I expected though)

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
Pretty cool but not a lot of details - or non from what I can see - on how it works. I picked up from a forum on their site that it take LiPO batteries, indicating it's an active system of some kind. Any idea?

EDIT: OK I see from some of the other comments that the active part is for controlling the pan. Neat ... is the stabilization purely mechanical then?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:11:01 PM by FunPhotons »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
Pretty cool but not a lot of details - or non from what I can see - on how it works. I picked up from a forum on their site that it take LiPO batteries, indicating it's an active system of some kind. Any idea?

EDIT: OK I see from some of the other comments that the active part is for controlling the pan. Neat ... is the stabilization purely mechanical then?

My impression is it's actually active stabilization. So there's a little micro-controller with some secret sauce firmware controlling the motors, which happens to also take into account the pan/tilt that the remote operator wants.

As others have said above, one of the general problems with these types of systems is the motor noise, which from what I saw they say they have mostly taken care of. I imagine if you're using an on-camera mic there might still be some noise from the motors, but if you're doing off-camera mic this device might be quiet enough that you don't have it picked up.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »

Myth

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
Once again a company demonstrates some intelligence by designing and producing a new, useful, innovative product. Then unfortunately demonstrates a degree of 'insanity' by pricing the product at a completely ridiculous price point.

Yes, research has to be completed, prototypes made and tested, final machine moulds made. Despite these costs this product is considerably higher in cost than it should be.

I have a friend who works in metal fabrication and he regulalry laughs at DSLR rigs in excess of $1,000 which i'm told have $30 of components, and thats for a US made product. Go to China and the price drops considerably.

When I saw the price of this I didn't even bother to investigate it further.

One for those with big budgets sadly...

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
I think this is an amazing device!  I don't do video but with this device, I just might!  The simplicity, control and the amount of time it could save will be amazing.

I think it's too expensive to be a true game-changer but it's going in that direction.  Looks like this device could save you money in that you don't need as much equipment to accomplish your goals with this device and less people-power as well.  Give it a year or two and some competition, and I think the price on this will drop to close to half.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »