August 29, 2014, 02:16:55 PM

Author Topic: "I am boycotting Nikon" campaign  (Read 11861 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: "I am boycotting Nikon" campaign
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »
First, I'm kinda surprised they're not also taking flak from the pushback of the 90% of Americans fed up with the NRA. Their words say this is for hunting game, but it reads much more like a sniper rifle for somebody wanting to take out an entire SWAT team ("pigs") with a single magazine. The veiling, it is very thin.

I can't help but laugh when someone believes that 90% number.

(pro-tip: a survey of 1000 college students asked leading questions is not even remotely representative of the general adult population)

Well, we're really getting off-topic, now.

But here's a very comprehensive collection of data on surveys about guns. You'll see, very consistently, from every pollster, roughly 90% support for universal background checks.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

You may well oppose universal background checks. But you're not only in a very small minority of Americans, you're in a rather small minority of NRA members.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/04/03/90-percent-of-americans-want-expanded-background-checks-on-guns-why-isnt-this-a-political-slam-dunk/

And, yet, the NRA is doing everything in its power to prevent universal background checks -- including threatening its own most favored members of Congress if they even allow the matter to come to a vote.

Cheers,

b&

This is way off topic, I shouldn't have responded in the first place.

Any other admin feel free to delete the political portion of this thread, my posts included.  Having already participated, I'm biased, and it would be improper for me to take further action.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
Don't worry about those animals - if the 'scopes are made by Nikon, they will all be out of calibration and aim to the left.
We should keep politics out of the forum - some will prefer they aim to the right.

I generally agree, though the question is where politics begins. For example is talking about lens/camera production, manufacturing standards and worker welfare political (Canon produces in Japan, but is expensive for this reason)? Or is only party politics political?

Anyway, I'm glad CR didn't delete the whole thread right away (and I'd like it to stay it this way, even if it's locked for getting too far off topic): I wanted to know how a general photog crowd would respond to the campaign, and as expected even people who are ok with general hunting but are critical towards trophy hunting and want to preserve endangered species aren't getting the intended message.

Still, I feel if the campaign would be better it'd be not impossible to nudge manufacturer's arms advertisements more in the direction of "remember species preservation", just like alcohol campaigns are conveying "drink responsible" - no matter what the manufacturers think or say behind closed doors.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
Those are hogs, and hogs are numerous, and rather a nussance as well, but worse still often a threat to local endangered and threatened populations. I am totally against poaching of threatened species, and totally against wanton destruction. But, some animals NEED to be hunted by man, often especially because we displaced their predators through habitat destruction. Here in Florida, hogs are a severe nuisance, and the laws are actually pretty easy-going about the taking o' hogs. The poster says "Bring home the bacon", so the thought is not some Great White Hunter racking up tons of kills for trophies, but a productive use, potentially, anyway. THere is no reason to be so sensitive about this...

Quite so. I live in S Florida and we are overrun with harmful exotics. We have beautiful  lionfish ravaging our reefs, and all sorts of pythons taking over the Everglades. Both species are pretty much on the "kill on sight" list. Can I put a Nikon scope on a speargun? The diffraction of the water might compensate for the crappy optics...

Agreed about hogs.  They are the number one most destructive non-native animal species out there.  What's number two you ask?  Burmese Pythons?  NOPE!  Feral cats.  Feral cats are less destructive than hogs because they don't destroy habitat like hogs do - but they do kill for fun - daily.  Where are pythons on the "most destructive" list of invasives?  If you believe the media hype - then hundreds of thousands of them are a half a step slither away from killing everything in the US including the human population.  Or, if you're more informed about the issue, have spent any actual time hunting them, and/or know anything about their natural environment and their requirements to survive, then you realize there's only a few thousand of them (max) and they are a very localized problem in South Florida with no ability to spread anywhere else.  They also don't eat or kill much (like cats) and they definitely don't destroy habitat (like hogs).

Need some proof?  How about the month-long FFW SPONSORED Burmese python challenged that happened just recently.  Something like 1600 people had 30 days to capture as many as they could.  How many did they get?  68!!!  If you gave 1600 people 30 days to kill as many hogs or cats as they could, they'd get hundreds and probably more like THOUSANDS!

Don't get me wrong, I'm vehemently opposed to the survival of any non-native species, but we should really inform the general populace that Senator Bill Nelson has fooled them all by making the Burmese Python the "poster child" for non-natives.  The Brazilian Pepper plant, hogs, and yes - even fluffy the cat are FARRRRRR more dangerous to the Everglades (and the rest of the US) than Burmese Pythons.

/end rant

Actually, the most harmful thing out in the glades is Big Sugar. And yes, it was put there by  H. sapiens sapiens...

woollybear

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
politics is merely another word for hypocrisy

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »
This thread is getting alittle too political. As a Texan, I believe UBC is a terrible idea but if it passes, I will respect the law.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 06:54:42 PM »
This thread is getting alittle too political. As a Texan, I believe UBC is a terrible idea but if it passes, I will respect the law.

Why does being a Texan come into it?

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »

Why does being a Texan come into it?

Texas is a state that is less restrictive on gun users. Not all states are as open as Texas.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »

bigal1000

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Great looking scope,by the way I thought this was a camera forum not some idiots political rhetoric.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:28:16 PM by bigal1000 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »