September 21, 2014, 04:07:49 AM

Author Topic: diy ideas on how to protect camera from rain?  (Read 6299 times)

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: diy ideas on how to protect camera from rain?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »
I think it's wise to try to keep all your gear dry - whether or not it's supposedly weather sealed. Your warranty does not cover water damage.

Most important - Do your best not to change lenses when there's rain about - it will get into your camera. If you absolutely have to, you need a large clear plastic bag, a tea-towel to dry everything, individual bags for your lenses and easily accessible body / lens caps. Then you need to practice what you're going to do before you try it in rain. Having three hands helps to stop you dropping something in the mud...

On the DIY approach - a large plastic bag, a couple of a elastic bands and a pair of scissors are all you need. The real trick is not standing in the rain... so get an assistant to carry a golf umbrella for you. Since the ground's probably damp too, it can help if you and your assistant have a monopod and a Walkman seat.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
I have done this when in light rain. If it is pouring out it probably won't work:

Get a simple plastic bag, small, mid, or large sized bag depending on lens you want to use. Using scissors or similar create a hole in the bag on the bottom of it large enough for your lens. Be careful not to make it too big. Put camera in the bag, facing the hole. Do not poke your lens outside the bag. Use a rubber band outside the bag where the lens is so the lens and bag are close and tight. If you do it right, the camera should be completely protected and you should still be able to access the controls and use manual focus if necessary. AF works fine as well.
It works for me, make sure you keep a few extra "pre-cut" bags with you and some rubberbands as well. You can wrap a paper towel around the lens with another rubberband if you want extra protection.

Could you better describe the hole you cut?!?! Did you take any measurements? Where did you source this "plastic bag"? Bands of rubber, not sure what these are?!?!? What type of scissors? I am left handed, do they make these left handed? Could you post a DIY video and a mini-review?

Harsh, but ROFLMFAO... !!

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »
Could you better describe the hole you cut?!?! Did you take any measurements? Where did you source this "plastic bag"? Bands of rubber, not sure what these are?!?!? What type of scissors? I am left handed, do they make these left handed? Could you post a DIY video and a mini-review?

I'f you're not going to be helpful, at least be funny.  Sadly, you quite missed the mark on both. You are not adding anything to this community by posting such inane drivel, merely detracting.

Someone asked a genuine question, obviously seeking input from people that have done similar things in the past in an effort to not reinvent the wheel.  You are under no obligation to read these posts if you are uninterested, and posting; doubly so.  And since this forum offends you so, feel free to leave at any time.  A full refund will gladly be offered.

cheeseheadsaint

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
Thank you all for your helpful responses! Really do appreciate it! I've always avoided shooting in the rain but with your tips, I don't have to! =D
Canon Rebel XSi, kit lens, 50mm f1.8, ef-s 55-250mm IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 6D

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
I have a custom bag made for 2 diff setups. One gets a hole for the monopod and so i can adjust zoom. I also plan to use this setup, a ladder with a solar umbrella attached to it. I need to do more tests to see what works as far as angling the umbrella for the best protection but basically it should do what i need. I got a solar umbrella with silver material for when the sun is scorching. I have found the bigger events cooking me in the sun so this will be my remedy this year. Secondarily i will have the umbrella to help with rain. I plan to hook a bucket filled with cement below the ladder to anchor it like in the photo. I use the ladder for start photos. It allows me to get a better perspective on the participants heading out to face their challenge. I have found it to be a pretty cool shot so I am incorporating an umbrella now. I may buy some plumbers piping and make an adjustable holder for the umbrella rather than simply connecting it differently to the ladder. Maybe I'll add a drink holder while i am at it. I can stand with my monopod under this.
Here is the one i got. I love the colored ones but i need protection from the sun so i went with their metallic version
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/windflex/info.cgi?session=fKAJHRbdU3jsv&sprache_land=usa
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:45:12 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »