September 19, 2014, 07:47:50 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]  (Read 46575 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
Oh well basically the same sensor again.

Canon has an investment in the 18 MP APS-C sensor.   It appears to be a sweet spot for them.  They are then segmenting the market (marketing 101) by changing functions with in the body (AF, buffer size, focus points, ...).

Sensor advances will come in the high end cameras - not the low end cameras.   Creating a new sensor is expensive so to get maximum economic return Canon will first release it in high end bodies with higher margins.  This given consumer the incentive to purchase a more expensive camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
Even I could beat Usain Bolt if he stands still on the track and just lately Canon seem to be standing still which leaves the chance for others to beat them.

problem is, even when canon moves slow .. no other company is beating it on sales or profit.

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
Pay close attention to the new sensor in the Canon EOS SL1 as far as performance goes. We’re told this sensor will appear in the EOS 70D, but not the EOS 7D Mark II.

Ok, Canon has just mutilated the potential of the 70D to sell well.

LOL.. if canon has proved one thing over and over again it is that they can sell even old bread well.

what people on this forum think has absolutely no influence on the mass market.
actually it´s sad because i too would like to see canon make more progess on image quality.

not that canon cameras make bad quality images.. just that IQ has not much improved over the last years.

Correction: Canon's IQ hasn't changed or improved over the last years for anything besides those moving from the 1D series to the 1DX. Nikon, Sony, Pentax, are all delivering new sensors with better performance.

What is Canon doing?

Nothing. What a joke of a company.

They make nearly a $1 billion in operating profit.   Hardly call that a joke.   Keep in mind that most purchasers of the low end cameras want very basic functions (I doubt many even shoot in raw) so current technology is good enough for them

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
Even I could beat Usain Bolt if he stands still on the track and just lately Canon seem to be standing still which leaves the chance for others to beat them.

problem is, even when canon moves slow .. no other company is beating it on sales or profit.

+100. Well said

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »

Canon has an investment in the 18 MP APS-C sensor.   It appears to be a sweet spot for them.  They are then segmenting the market (marketing 101) by changing functions with in the body (AF, buffer size, focus points, ...).

Sensor advances will come in the high end cameras - not the low end cameras.   Creating a new sensor is expensive so to get maximum economic return Canon will first release it in high end bodies with higher margins.  This given consumer the incentive to purchase a more expensive camera

Where do you get this data?
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

Would be much more interested in a hi-end Canon mirrorless .. EOS-M "done right" ... :-)

+1...with faster AF speed. Not like current EOS-M ;D

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
BOOORING ... don't care at all for a 70D. Would be much more interested in a hi-end Canon mirrorless .. EOS-M "done right" ... :-)
I have to agree with this. A 70D is just another cropster.

I hope the announcement is about the long awaited high MP / high DR body, or a bunch of new lenses. Like the 35L II, 50L II, 50 1.4 II, 135L II, 14-24L, e.t.c.

+1....I'll take one of each ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Rodknee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »
I don't think many people choose a camera based on the company's sales or profit - have yet to see that included on the camera's spec sheet....................

jarrieta

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »
Oh well basically the same sensor again.

Oh I understand well how Canon is really a conservative company and they are more responsible to their stakeholders. The company understands the market better than the competition. How else can they be a market leader? Not to say Canon makes poor products but a release like the 700d really has no reason to exist IMHO but to squeeze that sensor for everything it's worth while offering subtle changes. The low-end DSLR's are their bread and butter. Some people that are starting into photography probably rely on reviews and eventually the lack on innovation specially on the Rebel line or xxD series will take it toll on Canon's position when they see at the same price point there is a better alternative. I like their move with the 100D though.   

I'm a Rebel user but I'm one of those on the fence to move up to the 70D or 6D, maybe even the 7D2. I'm hoping the 70D will have a noticeable IQ improvement. Otherwise may just go with the 6D.

Canon-F1

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
I don't think many people choose a camera based on the company's sales or profit - have yet to see that included on the camera's spec sheet....................

well you don´t get the point...

Canon-F1

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »
Some people that are starting into photography probably rely on reviews and eventually the lack on innovation specially on the Rebel line or xxD series will take it toll on Canon's position when they see at the same price point there is a better alternative.

i have to play the advocatus diaboli...

can you post such reviews?

most reviews these people will read (from commercial magazines and websites) are pretty good for canon cameras.

you have to come to a website like this or see youtube rants from unkown selfclaimed "experts" to hear really negative stuff about canon. ;)

as much as i like canon to notice those complains... i doubt it will have an effect.

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
We’re told Canon is holding press events on Tuesday, April 23, 2013.

I really wish I could trick myself into getting excited  :-[

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

jarrieta

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
Some people that are starting into photography probably rely on reviews and eventually the lack on innovation specially on the Rebel line or xxD series will take it toll on Canon's position when they see at the same price point there is a better alternative.

i have to play the advocatus diaboli...

can you post such reviews?

most reviews these people will read (from commercial magazines and websites) are pretty good for canon cameras.

you have to come to a website like this or see youtube rants from unkown selfclaimed "experts" to hear really negative stuff about canon. ;)

as much as i like canon to notice those complains... i doubt it will have an effect.

Ummmm there are a bunch of reviews and comparisons on the net which for most is the easiest source of information. Let's face it a lot of people would just go to Google and type whatever criteria they want like "which is the best camera for under $1000 and so on." Sure Canon will still make a killing and that's the sad part as long as they  profit I see no reason why they will take risks in certain market segments. As much as I think other companies may have better features and innovation at a particular class or price point, I haven't had any problems with the Canon products I've had. That's why despite some gripes I won't be going anywhere else.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:06:33 PM by jarrieta »

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »
Pay close attention to the new sensor in the Canon EOS SL1 as far as performance goes. We’re told this sensor will appear in the EOS 70D, but not the EOS 7D Mark II.

Ok, Canon has just mutilated the potential of the 70D to sell well.

LOL.. if canon has proved one thing over and over again it is that they can sell even old bread well.

what people on this forum think has absolutely no influence on the mass market.
actually it´s sad because i too would like to see canon make more progess on image quality.

not that canon cameras make bad quality images.. just that IQ has not much improved over the last years.

Correction: Canon's IQ hasn't changed or improved over the last years for anything besides those moving from the 1D series to the 1DX. Nikon, Sony, Pentax, are all delivering new sensors with better performance.

What is Canon doing?

Nothing. What a joke of a company.

They make nearly a $1 billion in operating profit.   Hardly call that a joke.   Keep in mind that most purchasers of the low end cameras want very basic functions (I doubt many even shoot in raw) so current technology is good enough for them
Hi,
   Totally agree... many people are happy with the image taken from their mobile, so image from any Canon entry level DSLR will be wow to them. IMHO, the selling point of Canon DSLR is easy to use and that will make a big different when choosing their first DSLR.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »