October 26, 2014, 04:10:20 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]  (Read 48361 times)

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
Some people that are starting into photography probably rely on reviews and eventually the lack on innovation specially on the Rebel line or xxD series will take it toll on Canon's position when they see at the same price point there is a better alternative.

i have to play the advocatus diaboli...

can you post such reviews?

most reviews these people will read (from commercial magazines and websites) are pretty good for canon cameras.

you have to come to a website like this or see youtube rants from unkown selfclaimed "experts" to hear really negative stuff about canon. ;)

as much as i like canon to notice those complains... i doubt it will have an effect.

I have given those reviews to friends. That happens often to me, I know about cameras so my friends ask me what camera they should get. A few months ago a friend told me she was going to get a 7D and i asked her why and it was bc she wanted a good camera. She does most indoor studio work.... so long story short... she shoots a Nikon 600. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »

Tom W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »
Pay close attention to the new sensor in the Canon EOS SL1 as far as performance goes.

I am for certain paying attention to that. Wondering if Canon has really made a significant change to their APS-C sensor or not. That little SL1 might be a pretty versatile little body for use on a telescope, since it's so small and light. Not quite like a dedicated astrophotography tool, but something that the "weekend duffer" with a decent telescope could use.

2n10

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
If this rumor is true, Canon just killed any possibility I'll be replacing my 60D with the 70D.  I was hoping for better IQ and dynamic range (happy with what I have for what I paid - but I'd like something better and have the money to spend).  Now the question becomes, do I go with a 6D and sell the 60D or just stick with what I've got?

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
If I were to guess, Canon doesn't make or market every one of their cameras to every consumer. They probably don't expect a 60D user to replace their camera with a 70D. If anything, a 60D user should be happy the advancements are only "minor" from one body to the next. I'm happy to not be tempted to spend more money. Why would you wan to upgrade every release? They "need" to make the annual upgrades to keep with their tech advancements.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
stop announcing any stupid news from canon....really rumors at all..

I wonder why you came to a Canon Rumors site just post this?  If you don't want to read about Rumors, you came to the wrong place.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
Oh well basically the same sensor again.

Canon has an investment in the 18 MP APS-C sensor.   It appears to be a sweet spot for them.  They are then segmenting the market (marketing 101) by changing functions with in the body (AF, buffer size, focus points, ...).

Sensor advances will come in the high end cameras - not the low end cameras.   Creating a new sensor is expensive so to get maximum economic return Canon will first release it in high end bodies with higher margins.  This given consumer the incentive to purchase a more expensive camera

wrong on almost everything (other than they have an old investment in their current process, which includes the current 18MP sensor and do want to milk the heck out of it)

highest end bodies sell so few copies the high margin doesn't make up for anything compared to low-end body sales

new sensors have absolutely not always come out in the high end models

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »

Canon has an investment in the 18 MP APS-C sensor.   It appears to be a sweet spot for them.  They are then segmenting the market (marketing 101) by changing functions with in the body (AF, buffer size, focus points, ...).

Sensor advances will come in the high end cameras - not the low end cameras.   Creating a new sensor is expensive so to get maximum economic return Canon will first release it in high end bodies with higher margins.  This given consumer the incentive to purchase a more expensive camera

Oh I understand well how Canon is really a conservative company and they are more responsible to their stakeholders. The company understands the market better than the competition. How else can they be a market leader? Not to say Canon makes poor products but a release like the 700d really has no reason to exist IMHO but to squeeze that sensor for everything it's worth while offering subtle changes. The low-end DSLR's are their bread and butter. Some people that are starting into photography probably rely on reviews and eventually the lack on innovation specially on the Rebel line or xxD series will take it toll on Canon's position when they see at the same price point there is a better alternative. I like their move with the 100D though.   

I'm a Rebel user but I'm one of those on the fence to move up to the 70D or 6D, maybe even the 7D2. I'm hoping the 70D will have a noticeable IQ improvement. Otherwise may just go with the 6D.

they are a market leader because they once deserved it, they could and should be running away with it not merely just a bit ahead

eventually you'll no longer be if you sit around forever though

their good lenses also helped and the 5D2 video helped for that generation

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
Another disappointment from Canon! :D

It is sad how I have money, ready to buy a new camera, but nothing to spend it on. If only the D7100  had a tilt screen I'd jump right now.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
What is Canon doing?

Nothing. What a joke of a company.

What is Canon doing?  Delivering value to their shareholders by consistently selling more cameras than their competitors.  If that trend continues, the innovations of other manufacturers may become irrelevant.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »

wrong on almost everything (other than they have an old investment in their current process, which includes the current 18MP sensor and do want to milk the heck out of it)

highest end bodies sell so few copies the high margin doesn't make up for anything compared to low-end body sales

new sensors have absolutely not always come out in the high end models

New technology ALWAYS comes on the top high end models first.......

Just like Digic 6 did not first appear on powershots..... :) Just like WiFi was first on the 1DX :)

Look at the upcoming (rumoured) high megapixel camera..... it looks like it may have equivalent pixel density to a T5i. If you really want a good clue what it will be like, watch the specs for the upcoming (rumoured) 7D2, that should tell you to expect for sensor performance.... and should show you what to expect from other FF upgrades....

Stuff will be introduced when it is ready..... something has to be first.... you can not hold up ALL lines to wait for one.
The best camera is the one in your hands

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
Just like WiFi was first on the 1DX :)

Just to nitpick for the sake of nitpicking (I agree with what you are saying in general): Wifi is hardly new technology anymore... ::)

Also, since this thread has already deteriorated like dozens before it, I guess I'll share this observation here. Canon may be a market leader in terms of sales, profit, whatever, but in at least one market, they're WAY behind. I was in Washington, DC this week for a conference at a hotel right across from the national zoo. I would go for a walk in the zoo on lunch break, because the weather was nice and it was outdoors. I saw dozens of small Nikon SLRs, and in 3 days of walking around, only two other Canon SLRs: one CPS member with a 1Dx+300 2.8 II, and a 7D+70-200 IS II. Not that this was conclusive in any way, it was just an unexpected observation I made...
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

Act444

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »
Yeah but we knew that... They don't want to undermine the 7d2.

I fully expect the 70D will be a refreshed 7D: "new" sensor with on-chip AF, built on the same process. Better sealing than 60D, somewhere in the 6-8fps range, and decent (maybe 7D) AF. Given that 7Ds now go for 1300ish new, I'd think that 7d specs would put the 70d right where they want it in the lineup. That sets them up well for a 7d2 to be a better camera, that they can charge accordingly for.

Yes, all indications seem to point to the prospective 70D being to the 7D what the 6D was to the old 5D II - a sort of modernized version of the same camera with the same specs and same features, giving and taking a few small items.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
What is Canon doing?

Nothing. What a joke of a company.

What is Canon doing?  Delivering value to their shareholders by consistently selling more cameras than their competitors.  If that trend continues, the innovations of other manufacturers may become irrelevant.

or just get bought by canon since they will have actual money... as opposed to a monster credit card bill
but now i'm splitting hairs :D
APS-H Fanboy

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
This will probably turn out to be true.
7D Mark II will definitely have to wait...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »