April 18, 2014, 02:35:42 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]  (Read 38573 times)

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
Re: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
Pay close attention to the new sensor in the Canon EOS SL1 as far as performance goes. We’re told this sensor will appear in the EOS 70D, but not the EOS 7D Mark II.

Ok, Canon has just mutilated the potential of the 70D to sell well.

And expect reviews of the camera everywhere to widely condemn Canon for this continued delivery of left overs from last week microwaved and presented as fine dining.

lol. Love your analogy.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »
Even I could beat Usain Bolt if he stands still on the track and just lately Canon seem to be standing still which leaves the chance for others to beat them.

problem is, even when canon moves slow .. no other company is beating it on sales or profit.

This is sad but true. I wish they were losing money like water to motivate them to do better. I mean really, the 600EX-RT was a stroke genius, why haven't they continued that kind of innovation through the rest of their line? It makes no sense at all. Canon has so much going for them e.g. the menu system; top class, the camera body ergonomics; can't be beat, excellent optics, so why can't they get their act together and design better sensors and give us more features for our hard earned bucks to keep them, as well as the photographers who use their gear competitive? People tend to forget that aspect of the equation. We as professionals have a lot invested in the gear we choose. If other photogs are shooting with better gear, it gives them a slight edge. In the competitive market for photogs, even a slight edge can mean all the difference in the world. If someone can deliver a more finely detailed image in the same low light conditions, they have an edge. Would you rather slice with a butcher's knife or a finely crafted katana? Sure both will get the job done, but I'd rather use the tool that lets me get it done more efficiently and perhaps with finer detail.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
I don't think many people choose a camera based on the company's sales or profit - have yet to see that included on the camera's spec sheet....................

+1000
Well said.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
new sensors have absolutely not always come out in the high end models

If you look at pixel density then the powershot cameras have always been leading the DSLR models. I'm rather intrigued as to what a DSLR will look like with a large sensor using S95/S100 or SX50 technology.

DarkKnightNine

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »
If I were to guess, Canon doesn't make or market every one of their cameras to every consumer. They probably don't expect a 60D user to replace their camera with a 70D. If anything, a 60D user should be happy the advancements are only "minor" from one body to the next. I'm happy to not be tempted to spend more money. Why would you wan to upgrade every release? They "need" to make the annual upgrades to keep with their tech advancements.

But that is exactly the reason that has most people on this forum up in arms, they AREN'T keeping up with advancements in new technology, they are simply rereleasing the same camera over and over again in different configurations. The average consumer may not notice or even care, but we dedicated shooters and die hard Canon fans do!

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
This will probably turn out to be true.
7D Mark II will definitely have to wait...

Probably so. If they had the new sensor line ready we'd probably see the 7D2 and high MP cam now (honestly, I hope it even ready by the time for those late this year). Then can come out with an 80D early next year with the new line sensor and get some to double dip.

mkunert

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »
stop announcing any stupid news from canon....really rumors at all..

Says the fool complaining about rumors being posted on a website called CanonRumors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
I'm hoping for a new 1D something or other so that the price of the 1DX gets cut in half :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
But that is exactly the reason that has most people on this forum up in arms, they AREN'T keeping up with advancements in new technology, they are simply rereleasing the same camera over and over again in different configurations. The average consumer may not notice or even care, but we dedicated shooters and die hard Canon fans do!

Fine. But, 'we dedicated shooters and die hard Canon fans' make up an infinitesimal fraction of their market. The vast majority of dSLR buyers are 'average consumers'.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ksagomonyants

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Guys, I'll probably ask a very naive and somewhat a silly question... What exactly is the difference between different generations of Canon sensors? I mean, let's say Canon 5d ii and iii share the same sensor (correct?) however 5d iii overall has a better signal/noise ratio. That means that the improvements in the image quality do not necessarily require a new sensor technology? So, why do we all want Canon to have a new generation of sensors in their DSLR? Just curios  :)

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »

Fine. But, 'we dedicated shooters and die hard Canon fans' make up an infinitesimal fraction of their market. The vast majority of dSLR buyers are 'average consumers'.

And last week one of them came to me for advice on which camera to buy, saying all their friends had Canon. My recommendation? Nikon, followed by showing him DxO's evaluation of the Canon vs Nikon cameras and telling him to visit some stores and try them both. He bought Nikon. I just can't in all honesty recommend Canon DSLRs to anyone.

jarrieta

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »

they are a market leader because they once deserved it, they could and should be running away with it not merely just a bit ahead

Sad but true. Looking at the Amazon top 10 sellers, there are 6 Canons, 4 of which are Rebels. So Canon must be pretty happy despite incremental feature upgrades the Rebels sell great. I still have the T2i and since I just do portraits and some office events I really didn't feel there are enough improvement to "upgrade" to any of the other crop bodies. I really don't mind if they don't get more megapixels but better DR and ISO performance would be most welcome if the 70d gets the same 18mp count. So hoping the 70d would be worth it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

And last week one of them came to me for advice on which camera to buy, saying all their friends had Canon. My recommendation? Nikon, followed by showing him DxO's evaluation of the Canon vs Nikon cameras and telling him to visit some stores and try them both. He bought Nikon. I just can't in all honesty recommend Canon DSLRs to anyone.

Did you call Canon and tell them your story?   I'm sure it would have a profound impact on their corporate strategy.   ::)

FWIW (which, frankly, is just about the same as your story is worth), I can in all honesty recommend Canon dSLRs to people, because 1) there's much more to camera performance than DxO measures, 2) lenses are far more important than bodies and Canon has the upper hand there.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
I fell for the hype and bought a Nikon D800.  It was a nice camera, but, the 24-70mm G. Nikon's top of the line lens was a disaster.  Even now, only a very few lenses can get the best of the D800, and, they are third party lenses, or prime lenses.
The big problem came with the lack of performance in extreme low light.  It wasn't bad, just a little worse than the 5D MK III.  Live View was another shortcoming, a poor implementation.

Since the big bucks is investments in lenses, I decided that paying more for less was not really the way to go.

I likely would never consider getting a nother high mp body unless it actually delivers enough more when coupled with a lens..

ewg963

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
BOOOORING ... don't care at all for a 70D. Would be much more interested in a hi-end Canon mirrorless .. EOS-M "done right" ... :-)
I have to agree with this. A 70D is just another cropster.

I hope the announcement is about the long awaited high MP / high DR body, or a bunch of new lenses. Like the 35L II, 50L II, 50 1.4 II, 135L II, 14-24L, e.t.c.
+1000
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 135mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »