April 20, 2014, 10:25:48 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]  (Read 38675 times)

M.ST

Re: Canon Announcements on April 23, 2013? [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »
There will be no big megapixel announcement in april.

First Canon has to replace some lenses like the EF 16-35 II L, the EF 17-40 L ...

Both lenses don´t work pretty with the big megapixel prototypes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:30 AM »

First Canon has to replace some lenses like the EF 16-35 II L, the EF 17-40 L ...

i'd be interested in the new 16-35 !
APS-H Fanboy

David Hull

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2013, 01:31:39 AM »
Guys, I'll probably ask a very naive and somewhat a silly question... What exactly is the difference between different generations of Canon sensors? I mean, let's say Canon 5d ii and iii share the same sensor (correct?) however 5d iii overall has a better signal/noise ratio. That means that the improvements in the image quality do not necessarily require a new sensor technology? So, why do we all want Canon to have a new generation of sensors in their DSLR? Just curios  :)

It is nothing but a bunch of gearhead whiners crying because "theirs" ain't the biggest this week.  Ask yourself this:  have you ever been able to walk through a gallery and point out which camera shot which photo?  If the stuff was as bad as some of these idiots claim, nobody would use it.

Something else you might want to ask yourself:  If this Sony technology is such a "game changer" why hasn't the game changed?  Where are the stunning examples of what can be done?  Why do we continue to see shots of the back of lens caps, mediocre landscape shots with shadows lifted 5 stops just to prove a point?  Where are the game changing photographs from this so-called game changing technology?

If this represents such a huge advance in the state of the art of making art, where the heck is the art?  Galeries won't hang your DxO curves.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:44:35 AM by David Hull »

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2013, 01:33:55 AM »
Looks like BMCC and Sony are the first out of the gates with announcements.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10004/sony-show-cinema-eos-style-future-camera-range-based-around-full-frame-dslrs

Canon had better not disappoint.
If not any "new" tech at least a price drop to match the competition?
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »
I predict the new iPad 5!!!!!

Whoops, wrong company!!!!

Seriously, what's wrong with new 16-35mm?  We need a Mark iii already?

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2013, 01:58:16 AM »
I predict the new iPad 5!!!!!

Whoops, wrong company!!!!
LOL! Thanks. I needed a laugh. ;D

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:24 AM »
I hope I'm wrong but I'm preparing to be underwhelmed ... AGAIN!
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:24 AM »

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2013, 03:04:58 AM »
I fell for the hype and bought a Nikon D800.  It was a nice camera, but, the 24-70mm G. Nikon's top of the line lens was a disaster.  Even now, only a very few lenses can get the best of the D800, and, they are third party lenses, or prime lenses.
Since the big bucks is investments in lenses, I decided that paying more for less was not really the way to go.

I likely would never consider getting a nother high mp body unless it actually delivers enough more when coupled with a lens..

I wasn't talking about a D800 or high MP FF DSLR but APS-C crop cameras.

The Nikon's have 24MP APS-C sensors that are performing much better than the Canon 18MP APS-C sensors.

Now when it comes to lenses, the third party options (Tamron, Sigma) are increasingly producing optics that are very close to the that of Canon but at a huge discount. Buying Canon lenses is becoming less of a quality thing and more of a religious thing.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 03:11:51 AM »
I likely would never consider getting another high mp body unless it actually delivers enough more when coupled with a lens..

Canon's lenses are already being used to resolve image detail that is higher than the current FF DSLRs: all of the crop sensor DSLRs currently require higher spatial resolution of light from lenses than of the FF DSLRs.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2013, 03:13:04 AM »

Neither of these lenses work particularly well now on FF DSLR bodies!

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • A2B Art
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 03:40:11 AM »
Guys, I'll probably ask a very naive and somewhat a silly question... What exactly is the difference between different generations of Canon sensors? I mean, let's say Canon 5d ii and iii share the same sensor (correct?) however 5d iii overall has a better signal/noise ratio. That means that the improvements in the image quality do not necessarily require a new sensor technology? So, why do we all want Canon to have a new generation of sensors in their DSLR? Just curios  :)

It is nothing but a bunch of gearhead whiners crying because "theirs" ain't the biggest this week.  Ask yourself this:  have you ever been able to walk through a gallery and point out which camera shot which photo?  If the stuff was as bad as some of these idiots claim, nobody would use it.

Something else you might want to ask yourself:  If this Sony technology is such a "game changer" why hasn't the game changed?  Where are the stunning examples of what can be done?  Why do we continue to see shots of the back of lens caps, mediocre landscape shots with shadows lifted 5 stops just to prove a point?  Where are the game changing photographs from this so-called game changing technology?

If this represents such a huge advance in the state of the art of making art, where the heck is the art?  Galeries won't hang your DxO curves.
yup, that under-acheiver, don't fix it cuz it's not all broke, set-the-bar-low attitude's gonna get you some spankin' new sensor system R&D fo' sho!'
seriously, whatsamaddawitchyoo?
why you no want improvements?

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04:05 AM »
It is nothing but a bunch of gearhead whiners crying because "theirs" ain't the biggest this week.

I think it is more that people look at the improvements Nikon has delivered and the price point at which they have delivered and when they look at Canon they're left thinking "WTF am I buying Canon?"

Ask yourself this:  have you ever been able to walk through a gallery and point out which camera shot which photo?  If the stuff was as bad as some of these idiots claim, nobody would use it.

Most of the time you don't need to because it is written underneath the artwork.

To pick one gallery, that exhibiting the work of the principal behind www.luminous-landscape.com, I imagine that the work being displayed has changed over time from being dominated by Canon sourced material to Sony/Nikon material if what he displays on the web is anything to go buy (and the fact that he no longer owns any Canon DSLRs.) Information about his gallery is at:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/about/gallery.shtml

If you read enough of the essays from professional photographers that write for the above mentioned website then you start to realise that Canon no longer features like it used to as a tool used by artists, never mind photojournalists, etc.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »
It is nothing but a bunch of gearhead whiners crying because "theirs" ain't the biggest this week.

I think it is more that people look at the improvements Nikon has delivered and the price point at which they have delivered and when they look at Canon they're left thinking "WTF am I buying Canon?"

Ask yourself this:  have you ever been able to walk through a gallery and point out which camera shot which photo?  If the stuff was as bad as some of these idiots claim, nobody would use it.

Most of the time you don't need to because it is written underneath the artwork.

To pick one gallery, that exhibiting the work of the principal behind www.luminous-landscape.com, I imagine that the work being displayed has changed over time from being dominated by Canon sourced material to Sony/Nikon material if what he displays on the web is anything to go buy (and the fact that he no longer owns any Canon DSLRs.) Information about his gallery is at:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/about/gallery.shtml

If you read enough of the essays from professional photographers that write for the above mentioned website then you start to realise that Canon no longer features like it used to as a tool used by artists, never mind photojournalists, etc.

Dilbert,

You are evidently a deeply unhappy person as you seem to only come on the forum these days to complain about Canon.  All the pent up hate that you're holding inside you must be damaging to your inner artistic vision.  If I were using equipment that was seriously frustrating my ability to produce the photos that I envisioned, or that my competitors could deliver, I would feel compelled to take action.  I think that you want to take action, but are afraid to do so because you fear that it may be the "wrong" choice in the long term.  This inaction means that you are constantly clutching at the straws that are new camera rumours.  Because of this, rather than treating rumours as a bit of fun, every piece of (mis)information that damages your hopes of a new Canon "DXOMark-uber-camera", becomes a  personal assault on your wellbeing. 

You seriously need to draw a line in the sand and make a decision, either be happy with what Canon currently offers and work around that gear's weaknesses, or bite the bullet and change system.  Your current course of (in)action is psychologically damaging to you and getting tiresome to everyone else. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »

ewg963

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:28 AM »
Looks like BMCC and Sony are the first out of the gates with announcements.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10004/sony-show-cinema-eos-style-future-camera-range-based-around-full-frame-dslrs

Canon had better not disappoint.
If not any "new" tech at least a price drop to match the competition?
I love competition!!!! It's the name of the game. We'll see.... :)
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 135mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II

klickflip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »

Seems like you may have some inside info here.. I don't know how or what exactly you are testing but if its the big MP prototypes I really wish it will concentrate on noise in shadows at low ISO first , then DR not just on MP.
I get the feeling the 47mp monster that has been mentioned recently might be overkill and 40mp max may be a perfect balance when considering lens's performance  too.
Also other considerations for a potential MFDB competitor should be be flash sync that would help a lot of people struggling with canon 1/200th sec for location flash scenarios ( and please don't pipe up with speed lights HSS everyone, as for proper professional work speed lights don't cut it, especially when it comes to power and ability to use bigger modifiers). So is it possible to feedback to Canon that 1/500s +  flash sync for external units should be a priority to help this camera be used in a proper high end way.
This together with L primes will be a game changing camera at half the cost of a hassy or phase one but with much much more features and usability.  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »