July 28, 2014, 03:26:07 PM

Author Topic: Dilemma: Need new body by May 1st (7d alternatives/successor timeline?)  (Read 9576 times)

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma: Need new body by May 1st (7d alternatives/successor timeline?)
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
If you want to capture images of a baby with minimal lighting, get a 6D...  This would be a better choice.
That's silly.  Why wouldn't one improve the lighting instead?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
If you want to capture images of a baby with minimal lighting, get a 6D...  This would be a better choice.
Baby sleeping?

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
Baby sleeping?
Babies sleep in broad daylight

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »
Go to your local camera shop.... explain your predicament, and see if they have any used rebels that have come in on trade....., and see if you can talk them into letting you buy the "trade in" camera and then return it for credit once the 7D2 comes out..... the worst they can say is no, and it will probably cost you $100 or so to have that camera while waiting for the 7D2, which is supposed to be a "game changer", and supposed to be announced in the fall and probably available somewhere near Christmas.
The best camera is the one in your hands

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
My vote is the 6D 24-70 and sell the 17-55 lens. The 6D is a very good camera, it has some shorting comings but I doubt you should be unhappy with it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »

Why?  Did you read what he wants?  Do you think that maybe using a flash in a babies eyes is the best way to go?

OP
"My first child is due on the first of May and I want to document his early months with a DSLR."

I stand by my recommendation.  A child is not going to be running around in his first few months, or years, and blinding him with bright lights would not be the way I'd treat my child.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »

Why?  Did you read what he wants?  Do you think that maybe using a flash in a babies eyes is the best way to go?

OP
"My first child is due on the first of May and I want to document his early months with a DSLR."

I stand by my recommendation.  A child is not going to be running around in his first few months, or years, and blinding him with bright lights would not be the way I'd treat my child.

+1....therefore I voted 6D + 50 f1.4 for indoor low light shots or tammy 24-70 f2.8 due to $2000 budget. Sell everything else that he currently own.

please DO NOT get P&S as RGF recommended :'(
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
If you want to go with the 7D, get one refurbed or used.  A refurbed 7D on the shop.usa.canon.com site is currently 1020 + tax.  With the rest of the money, you could get a fast prime and/or a flash.  The 7D has AFMA, which is almost a necessity for getting the most out of fast primes.  The 7D's AF is nice when the baby becomes a toddler and starts running all over the place.  If you buy at 1000, then you won't lose much selling it in a couple years, if you decide to upgrade then.

A 6D will allow you to shoot cleaner at higher ISOs but the AF is worse and the 6D costs more.  It is really up to you as to which format would be better given how you intend to use the equipment.

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
I don't think you will see any new cameras before the end of April... I expect the 70D at the end of June (in time for holidays) and the 7D2 - if there ever is such a thing - in late October. This means your selection space is limited to what's available now.

@Freelancer - My recommendation on the 7D is that it's a wonderful camera - at the current price you get a great deal for your money. Sure, you could spend a couple of hundred dollars less and get a 550 or 600 but the user interface and versatility of the 7D gets my nod.

@OP My take is that the 7D is such a huge upgrade from a 20D, image quality will not be your limiting factor. Be aware that it's a more complex camera to set up, so you need time to get it right. If this is your route, do not delay.

How about looking to see whether you can get a 7D under the Canon Loyalty Program? If you have a broken (or even not broken) Canon P&S Camera, you can get quite a lot of credit on a refurbed SLR.

On full frame...
The often underappreciated point is that the upgrade to ff can be a lot more than the cost of your camera body and your first lens. The 24-105 L is a great lens but it's a stop slower than the 17-55, so any benefit you had with the noise performance disappears because you use higher ISO. To see a real improvement, you'd be looking at a 24-70/2.8 and that would probably drive your budget a bit far. If you decide to go for a 6D, you will also need to think about a flash.

I don't recommend strobing a baby - just about anything will startle them - but you will probably want to think about a light panel or at least a reflector. Of course, a reflector will work for both crop and ff, so it's something you might consider chasing down anyway.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
A 6D will allow you to shoot cleaner at higher ISOs but the AF is worse and the 6D costs more.
The 7D's AF is nice when the baby becomes a toddler and starts running all over the place 

you guys really need a 7D AF for toddlers?
to be honest i think that is the typical exaggeration made on forums like this.

years ago even the 450D i had was perfectly fine for photographing my little niece while playing.

Not for the first year or two, but it does become increasingly useful as the kids get older.  I had a 20D until last year, and yes, I got some great pics when my kids were born until they were 2 and 4, but AI servo on it was bad and I lost a lot of pics (more than I got).    3-4 year olds also start getting into organized sports (i.e. soccer or gymnastics) and active birthday parties.  Plus once you bring a DSLR to a party or family gathering (esp. with older kids), others will ask you take pictures, and the better AF comes in handy.

The other main reason for recommending the 7D is for its AFMA.  A rebel or a 60D won't have it, and it really does allow one to explore shallower DOF photography.  Slapping on the 35L onto my 20D was revelatory even though I already had the 17-55, and it got better once I got a body that had AFMA.

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »

OP

Contrary to popular belief, flash does not injure babies.

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »
Given what you've posted, my suggestion would be 6D + kit 24-105 if you can swing it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
A 6D will allow you to shoot cleaner at higher ISOs but the AF is worse and the 6D costs more.
The 7D's AF is nice when the baby becomes a toddler and starts running all over the place 

you guys really need a 7D AF for toddlers?
to be honest i think that is the typical exaggeration made on forums like this.

years ago even the 450D i had was perfectly fine for photographing my little niece while playing.
+1

I used a MF Canon FTQL with ASA25 film for my first baby.  There was absoultely no AF in site back then.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »

raptor3x

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
I've shot with Canon cameras my entire life starting with an Elan back in the 90's. A few years back I went digital with a 20D and the FANTASTIC EF-S 17-55 2.8.  The 20D body was destroyed a year or so ago and I've been making do with a Canon point and shoot since then.

My first child is due on the first of May and I want to document his early months with a DSLR. Given my ownership of EF-S glass (really only the 17-55... my other Canon glass is cheap and left over from pre-DSLR days) I think APS-C is probably the way to go; but it bothers me to go after a 7d with its successor just around the corner.

Any thoughts or angles here? I'd only like to spend $2000 and need to do it pretty quickly. I'd like some reassurance that purchasing a 7d at the very twilight of its existence isn't complete folly or maybe an alternative approach I haven't considered (a $1000 EF-S lens was a bit shortsighted of me as I have a hard time justifying FF given the investment).

Buy a used 7D off of FM or PotN, should run you about $750-850; then sell it when the next round of cameras come out.  Will probably end up costing you ~$100-150 for several months of use.  Way way way better than renting.  Also, don't get rid of the 17-55, that lens is fantastic and if it weren't for the fact that I needed a weather sealed normal zoom I would have had a hard time giving it up on the move to FF.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:38:25 PM by raptor3x »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
If you shop around the 6D can be had well within your budget (http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/canon-eos-6d-body-1629-via-ebay/). If you want something cheaper, and almost as good in low light, a used 5D2 can be had for even less.
My focus is wildlife(and macro) so the 7D2 will probably be my main camera for a while (I'm on a rebel right now), but if you're focusing on close up shots a full frame camera would be best (by a wide margin).
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »