July 28, 2014, 12:45:19 PM

Author Topic: Reverse a lens for macro.  (Read 5230 times)

simonbratt99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Simon Bratt Photography
Reverse a lens for macro.
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Whats the deal with reversing a lens for macro?
Any good?
For example a nifty fifty with a reversing ring, what macro size will that get and is the image quality good?
Im trying to avoind buying that MP-E lens!!
www.facebook.com/simonbrattphotography
Its good to be liked, even nicer to be paid.

canon rumors FORUM

Reverse a lens for macro.
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse a lens for macro.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Here are two links about how to do it. There are tons of others.
http://shutterstoppers.com/secrets-macro-photography-reverse-lens/
http://viewsinfinitum.com/2011/03/16/the-old-reverse-lens-macro-trick/

I don't know about the normal revers lens macro setup. I tried double lens reverse macro setup. With that you can achieve some quite amazing magnifications. 4:1 for example if you mount a 50mm on a 70-200 at 200mm. I'm not sure about focus and DOF of the combination (need to read more articles about it). Here is my setup, and and a quick shot with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aj1575/4679783464/#in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aj1575/4682982736/#in/photostream

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
Not that the MP-E 65 is especially easy to use...but a reversed lens (mounted direct or to another lens) is even more challenging.  IQ is not going to be stellar usually - it depends on the lens(es) used.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
You can purchase a reverse lens adapter from Amazon cheaply.
Its best to use them with a old fully manual prime lens.  50mm is a good value.

Using one with a modern EOS lens like a nifty 50 means you cannot easily change the aperture, so its a pain.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »
I tried 50mm reversed.... it has severe vignetting and you use probably only 50% of your sensor...

It is hard to use since setting F/Stop on the reverse lens is a pain.... 

It can work if you know the limitations...
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Ido

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »
I tried it couple of times with the 40mm.

The focusing is challenging, and even when I nailed it, only the dead center is in focus.

I don't think it's worth the risk of exposing the rear element to the open air.
60D | 40mm f/2.8 | 24-105mm f/4L

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »
I prefer to use extension rings.  I found a very inexpensive set at a department store photo section.  They're just tubes with electrical connections, no need to pay Canon price for them, and they'll work with any lens I want to use, including an old manual SMC Takumar with an adapter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »

OKO-SAN

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
I prefer to use extension rings.  I found a very inexpensive set at a department store photo section.  They're just tubes with electrical connections, no need to pay Canon price for them, and they'll work with any lens I want to use, including an old manual SMC Takumar with an adapter.
   +1 Optimal solution manual M42 lens

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »
You could also use an old EF 35-80 kit lens (they came on old rebel film cameras) & remove the front element. This gives you a crazy "zoom" macro that I believe goes beyond 1:1, but with no auto focus or working distance. If you just google "Canon 35-80mm macro mod" a bunch of things come up. You could but that lens for next to nothing.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Mantanuska

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
I've had good results using a 50mm reverse mounted to a set of extension tubes. DOF is razor thin at the distance that ends up being in focus, so a manual aperture lens is needed so you can stop down. Getting enough light when sufficiently stopped down is another problem, so having some sort of softbox/ reflector that directs flash to your subject is needed. since this is generally a couple inches from the front of the lens you will need to get creative.

DOF still tends to be a little thin, so focus stacking in photoshop is also needed in most situations, but the results are good.

here is one of the better shots I've taken with the same setup, except I don't have the right flash setup, so IQ isn't as good as it would have been with the right lighting.

White Lined Sphinx Hummingbird Moth 2 by Mantanuska, on Flickr

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
You could also use an old EF 35-80 kit lens (they came on old rebel film cameras) & remove the front element. This gives you a crazy "zoom" macro that I believe goes beyond 1:1, but with no auto focus or working distance. If you just google "Canon 35-80mm macro mod" a bunch of things come up. You could but that lens for next to nothing.

Yup, got one of those also, but I prefer the 50/1.8 with extensions.   The modified 35-80 is almost a microscope.  I realize saying this might be tantamount to sacrilege to 'L' aficianados, but stopped down the 35-80 takes acceptable daylight photos also (as a normal lens)........not every shot needs a 24-70.  Think I paid 25$ for mine.

Chopper

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
Reverse 50 with all 3 Kenko extension tubes produces decent results for a fraction of the price of a dedicated macro lens. You will need a flash as well - in this instance I used a 430EXII diffused with tissue paper.

DOF is razor thin so given the opportunity, take plenty of shots of your subject before it flies/crawls/jumps away.

Chopper

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »
.... and another with the same setup as described above. This was the very first macro shot I took.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »

siegsAR

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
After the AF's give up on 2 of my 18-55 kitlens I decided to buy a 1$ reverse ring.

Focus was challenging when fully zoomed but fairly easy to get around. DOF is really razor thin that even when I breath it directly throws it out of focus. :P
Under low light it was very tricky, built in flash usually cast shadows on my shots.
But what can I say its darn cheap plus the fun factor..... until I wanted the 100 f2.8. ;D

Some of my shots.

Termites and a Leader by Le ARchie, on Flickr

Dewdrop(s) by Le ARchie, on Flickr
Tsk! Come on son..

simonbratt99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Simon Bratt Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
wow, thanks for all your great replies.
I was thinking of the best canon 50mm lens to reverse, but by the sound of it i would be better off saving up for the MP-E. I was just after a cost saving really.

I did just get today the proper canon flashgun bracket (i know stupidly expensive for what it is), and i can say, what a lovey bit of kit tied with my canon 2.8L 100mm  for 1:1 macro, even with no diffuser im getting some nice results (albeit only 1:1)

I would be interested in the Kenko tubes but for £100+ to go from 1:1 to 1:68 i cant see the value.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:02:01 PM by simonbratt99 »
www.facebook.com/simonbrattphotography
Its good to be liked, even nicer to be paid.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »