Gear Talk > Lenses

Stuck on whether to return sigma 35mm for 35mm 1.4L or 35f2 is

(1/11) > >>

KKCFamilyman:
I just got the sigma 35mm 1.4. I thought that the lens would be a dream come true. The truth is the af seems to front focus. It has a hard time focusing in aiservo mode. Also further subjects are not that sharp. The 1.4 aperature is nice and the colors are good but am unsure if I should go with one of the canon offerings. I use it for indoor candids of the kids and a walkabout lens since a 50mm is a little tight and the 40mm only does 2.8. Should I go thru the trouble of sending it in to sigma for a look or is the Canon better in the L or IS version. I have used mostly f2.8 and higher to 5.6. This is only being used on a canon 5d mark iii. I only have 9 days to get it returned. Is this the norm for a 35mm or should I stick with OEM even though it costs more and is much older?

neuroanatomist:
TDP mentions servo issues with the new Tamron 24-70, seems to be a common issue with 3rd party lenses.  My 35L does very well in servo mode, old though the design is...

KKCFamilyman:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on April 08, 2013, 07:14:44 PM ---TDP mentions servo issues with the new Tamron 24-70, seems to be a common issue with 3rd party lenses.  My 35L does very well in servo mode, old though the design is...

--- End quote ---

So would you say the older 35l is better?

neuroanatomist:
I'd say the Sigma 35/1.4 has better IQ.  But, if it can't focus where you need it to, a blurry shot isn't 'better'.

KKCFamilyman:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on April 08, 2013, 07:47:54 PM ---I'd say the Sigma 35/1.4 has better IQ.  But, if it can't focus where you need it to, a blurry shot isn't 'better'.

--- End quote ---

Any suggestions for a test? To determine that I can post?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version