September 01, 2014, 05:03:33 AM

Author Topic: Bag while I am a "tourist"  (Read 5813 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Bag while I am a "tourist"
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »
Hi

I have been a member of the bag of the month and a closet full of bags showing my excellent standing in the club.  I dropped out of the club about a year ago and need to add to my collection (yes I will sell unused bags).

What I don't have is a shoulder bag (showing my bias) or some sort solution for carrying gear while I am a tourist or doing the limited amount of street photography.  [NB most of my photography is wildlife with big equipment for which a back pack works well]. 

Wonder what recommendation people have, not sure I want to go with a belt system as I envision using the bag/system while touring with my wife.  I hope to carry 5D/6D, 14, 16-35, 24-105/24-70, possibly 70-200 F4 or 70-300 (not the 70-200 F2.8), possibly 100 macro, and flash.  Is this too much?  I could see taking either the 14 or 16-35 but not both.   Thoughts?

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Bag while I am a "tourist"
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Bag while I am a "tourist"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
Not sure exactly what you mean by shoulder bag, but love my Think Tank Airport Take Off.  It will easily fit all your goodies and fit in even small overheads of jets.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

chasinglight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
For being a tourist I cannot say enough good things about the think tank retrospective series. The bags are well made and blend in very well. They are not as padded as some the "airport" bags, but I never found this to be a problem. I can easily fit my gripped 7d, 15-85, 70-200 f4 is, 50, speed light, filters,
Batteries etc. though if I travel with that much gear I normally lock some of it up in the hotel safe when I don't need it. I can also take my 100-400 instead of the 70-200, but that makes things a little tight.

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
Bag topics really need to mention if they're gripped or not.  If you're not gripped, you have lots more options.  Body with lens, second lens and flash fit well in the Niko Messenger from Chrome.  I've been looking at the Ari Marcopoulus from Incase but I don't think my gripped body is going to fit.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

rsk7

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • riverstep photography
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
I just got a ThinkTank sling-o-matic 30 for my trip to Scandinavia in June. I like this bag because:

• the sling is reversible and is easy to switch left shoulder/right shoulder
  • I can work out of the top of the bag without setting it down
  • doesn't have the huge flap over the top that you have to get out of the way to work out of it
  • has laptop sleeve so no extra carry-on bag
  • can fit my 5D3/70-200 2.8 mounted

I'm taking 5D3, 24 TSE II, 24-70 II, 70-200 II and 17-40 (maybe). There is a smaller 20 but it doesn't have the laptop sleeve and I can't fit a 5D3 with mounted 70-200 2.8 in it depth wise (can laterally). You could get away with the f4 mounted since it is an inch shorter in the 20 but not the 2.8.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/sling-o-matic-30.aspx

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »
I've got a National Geographic Medium Shoulder Bag that carries a similar amount of gear (and fits a gripped body).  While the padding is good, when loaded up, it does cause a bit of strain on your shoulder.  (But no different to any other shoulder bag and as a member of the bag of the month club, you would probably know that anyway). 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
I am happy with the ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 v2.0. Fits under the airport seat (unless you use the front pockets), has a nice shoulder strap, and with the (optional) backback strap you can temporarily convert it into a backpack.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-60-v2.aspx
My 70-300L fits in vertically with lens hood and a rebel attached

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:51 AM »
I have a couple of Crumpler slingbags in different sizes. None big enough to carry all that gear though. Still I can recommend you to have a look at what they have to offer. Very comfortable and practical.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:27:27 AM »
Hi

I have been a member of the bag of the month and a closet full of bags showing my excellent standing in the club.  I dropped out of the club about a year ago and need to add to my collection (yes I will sell unused bags).

What I don't have is a shoulder bag (showing my bias) or some sort solution for carrying gear while I am a tourist or doing the limited amount of street photography.  [NB most of my photography is wildlife with big equipment for which a back pack works well]. 

Wonder what recommendation people have, not sure I want to go with a belt system as I envision using the bag/system while touring with my wife.  I hope to carry 5D/6D, 14, 16-35, 24-105/24-70, possibly 70-200 F4 or 70-300 (not the 70-200 F2.8), possibly 100 macro, and flash.  Is this too much?  I could see taking either the 14 or 16-35 but not both.   Thoughts?

Thanks

I love my bag! I bought the Domke F2 Ruggedwear. It is inconspicious (mine is in brown), and it can hold most of the equipment I need for most shooting assignment. It is made of some special material (in my eyes it looks like oilskin). I can hold two pro-bodies, Four or five lenses, three flashes and a st-e2, or reduce the flashes from the side pockets and have more lenses. The strap is comfortable, and it has some type of rubber inside for better grip on your shoulder. Living in Norway it is quite expensive, but I bought it through e-bay from the US for a reasonable price. I also have a backpack for cameragear, but I seldom use it when out shooting.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:08 AM »
Hi

Thanks

I love my bag! I bought the Domke F2 Ruggedwear. It is inconspicious (mine is in brown), and it can hold most of the equipment I need for most shooting assignment. It is made of some special material (in my eyes it looks like oilskin). I can hold two pro-bodies, Four or five lenses, three flashes and a st-e2, or reduce the flashes from the side pockets and have more lenses. The strap is comfortable, and it has some type of rubber inside for better grip on your shoulder. Living in Norway it is quite expensive, but I bought it through e-bay from the US for a reasonable price. I also have a backpack for cameragear, but I seldom use it when out shooting.
Wow, just checked out that bag, looks really nice. I'd much prefer that from the Crumpler I mainly use (and just recommended) today.

Darlip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:44:08 AM »
With all that gear I would recommend Gura gear bataflae 26l, used it myself not to long ago on a trip to Thailand and I was very pleased with it.

http://www.guragear.com/bataflae-26l-black/
70D | Sigma 17-70 | Canon 70-300L

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:49:46 AM »
Thinktank Urban Disguise 70v2.
Big, stealthy, broad belt for the shoulder, optional a belt to wear it like a backpack.
Carried it 5 days in venice for many hours, very comfortable for the weight.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:16:52 AM »
Tamrac Zuma line. Perfectly "touristy" as it's focused on total impossibility of pickpocketing while still being confortable. Fits 1 body non gripped and 2 lenses tho so it might be too small for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:16:52 AM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:36 AM »
With all that gear I would recommend Gura gear bataflae 26l, used it myself not to long ago on a trip to Thailand and I was very pleased with it.

http://www.guragear.com/bataflae-26l-black/

Thanks, I could not have been happier with it. They even enclose a sort of protective 'fat' to be worked into the material, so that it is more weather resistant. Well, it was put into a unforseen test when I was on a job and it rained quite heavily. The gear was still dry :)

Originally I wanted this English bag, Billingham, but had a hard time convincing my wife that I really needed such an expensive bag, lol. What I like also about it is that it does not look like a photobag, thus you are less exposed from both attention and risk.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »
My Think Tank Retrospective bag is absolutely fantastic.  I've got the Pinestone 7 and it really holds everything I need: 6D, lots of smaller primes, and a whole bunch of odd bits stuffed in the other nooks & crannies.  It's the perfect companion if you have a 10" tablet or a smaller ultrabook that will fit in the laptop pouch (which also holds magazines when there's no computer in there).

What I find really great about this bag is that it has forced me to rethink the gear I take with me.  I have a bunch of other bags, but they're all either too small to fit anything useful besides maybe one extra lens, or once I fill them up they're too big & heavy & clumsy to access.  So the end result was either wanting more lenses, or not bothering to drag all my stuff with me wherever I go when I'm on a trip as it's too heavy.

The retro 7 is really the right size; big enough to hold a reasonable amount of stuff & small enough to be practical.  It forces me to think about the gear I *need* for the trip & take only that.  This usually ends up being the 6D with the 24-105L on it and whatever primes I think I'll need, depending on what I'll be shooting & how much walking there is to be done.  I keep all the stuff that I don't need when I'm shooting (chargers, cables, readers, etc) in a lens bag in the front & just pull it out & leave it in the room where I'm staying.

It's super easy to access.  Even taking a tablet or computer out to check a map or mail is really fast.  And no one thinks its a photo bag.  Obviously I'm pretty psyched about it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:32:30 AM by funkboy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »