October 21, 2014, 11:13:53 PM

Author Topic: Another one of those 5D Mark III soft images threads.  (Read 8089 times)

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Another one of those 5D Mark III soft images threads.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
put up one or two of your soft raw files... i think people in this forum might help you to see where is the problem coming from...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:02:43 PM by ishdakuteb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
Yep I'm using the new version already.

Crazy.  Every time I tried it the program would crash and I would have to manually restore my settings.  Maybe I'll uninstall it, reboot, and re-install again.

But it doesnt work with the 5DIII (reikan af algorythm).

Works just fine with my 5D MK III!

Be sure to use the new version, they fixed those crashes now.
I should elaborate, I have it installed on two computers, and find the function crashes frequently on one I seldom use, but works fine on my laptop which is what I normally use.  Both are windows 7 64 bit OS with 4GB memory.  I've never bothered to find out why.  The one it crashes on is a older Dell, but upgraded with a SSD.

RealPerson

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 02:02:32 AM »
I know this is an Old thread, but I am now having this issue.

Here is what I have found.

It seems to only be in sunlight or with the hot shoe flash.

I have ran 400 ss so I know it isn't motion blur.

I can take the camera into the studio and get AMAZING photos...   

Only other thing I have noticed is the DOF seems so shallow compared to other Canon cameras.
I can be at a 7.1 or even 9 f-stop and from a persons nose to ear can start to be out of focus...
Or in sports a player carrying a football the ball is in focus while the face is so soft.

I check settings from old photos and I was even running lower F-stops with more DOF with the 1Ds mark II  and 1D Mark II

Anyway, I hope Canon or someone can continue to figure out this problem as it would come and go, but now it is HERE and wont go away for my Camera.  I guess I will call Canon in the morning and see what they have to say....

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:26:41 AM »
Is it just me?

Why do so many people start a thread like this with their first post, then respond once or twice if at all. They don't give examples so we can't see the problem, they often claim to be professionals making a good living.

Now we have the thread revived by a real person with the same profile. ;D

So realperson, my first question is can we see a sample please.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:49 AM »
Please move this topic if it belongs somewhere else.

I am a professional photographer based in Australia, who recently upgraded from the 5D Mark II to the mark III, mainly for the autofocusing speed abilities. I also have a 60D in my kit, which works well for sports but some shoots demand the full frame sensor. Most of my clients are big publications, and I have had some bad feedback about "soft" images since upgrading to the MarkIII, which is a huge problem considering this is my main income source (and have magazines relying on shots for DPS', posters and covers). On investigation, I have noticed the 5d Mark III images looks fine zoomed out, but when cropped in 100% are noticeably soft, softer than that of the MarkII (and in some cases, the 60D!).
I have tried extensive image sharpening, but can never get that "tack sharp" photo that I could get with the mark II.
Im shooting in RAW, and process in lightroom. I tried bumping the picture profile sharpness up in-camera which helped a little but still no visible sharp focus point. I have spent alot of time on the autofocus micro adjustment, and thought I had it spot on, but compared to the Mark ii - it still sucked.

Can anyone tell me if its just me suffering from these problems? There seems to be a few on the web, but I would really like to rectify this problem rather than selling the 5d3 and buying a 7D until canon release a good affordable fast full-frame camera.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

My first mk3 had this problem it was a faulty AF unit i returned it within a week and got a new camera which was razor sharp out of the box, and a second mk3 was also perfectly sharp although it had a problem with the lens mount connection dropping AF on lenses at wierd and inconvenient times that went back to canon and got a new lens mount.

your problem sounds like my first copy i'd say get it exchanged if its still pretty new
APS-H Fanboy

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:53 AM »
Is it just me?

Why do so many people start a thread like this with their first post, then respond once or twice if at all. They don't give examples so we can't see the problem, they often claim to be professionals making a good living.

Now we have the thread revived by a real person with the same profile. ;D

So realperson, my first question is can we see a sample please.

+1

could not have said it better!!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
I know this is an Old thread, but I am now having this issue.

Here is what I have found.

It seems to only be in sunlight or with the hot shoe flash.

I have ran 400 ss so I know it isn't motion blur.

I can take the camera into the studio and get AMAZING photos...   

Only other thing I have noticed is the DOF seems so shallow compared to other Canon cameras.
I can be at a 7.1 or even 9 f-stop and from a persons nose to ear can start to be out of focus...
Or in sports a player carrying a football the ball is in focus while the face is so soft.

I check settings from old photos and I was even running lower F-stops with more DOF with the 1Ds mark II  and 1D Mark II

Anyway, I hope Canon or someone can continue to figure out this problem as it would come and go, but now it is HERE and wont go away for my Camera.  I guess I will call Canon in the morning and see what they have to say....

It is a basic fact of photography that larger sensors achieve a shallow depth of field.

Some like the deep depth of field that they had with their tiny sensor in a point and shoot, and just plain hate the shallow depth of field in a FF DSLR.  That's ok, but the only answer is to go back to the point and shoot, or use very small apertures.
You also need to understand that distance to subject has a huge effect on depth of field, so if you get up close, depth of field is shallow.  Combine the two, large sensor and close distance to subject, and the shallow depth of field can be wonderful, or awful depending on what is needed for the image.

If you want more depth of field for a portrait, use 85mm - 200mm, some even use 300mm.  Don't use 35mm and compensate by getting close.

Here is a image at 35mm at near mfd.  I like the effect, but maybe not for a portrait.

On the other hand, here is a portrait of my son with a 135mm Lens at f/2.5.  No problem with depth of field.  Its a matter of lens selection to get the effect you want.  The subject is standing away from the background so it will blur.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »