August 30, 2014, 12:28:40 PM

Author Topic: Question regarding ultrawide lenses on crop and full frame cameras  (Read 3572 times)

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding ultrawide lenses on crop and full frame cameras
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
Qwerty, if you're out there I have re-read your posts and the key points make sense to me, namely that the larger sensor will of course offer more resolution because of it's larger size and therefore greater line widths per picture height, and also because of the cropped sensor image requiring greater relative enlargement to appear at the same size of the full frame image- not to be confused with the total number of pixels, which, for example, comparing the 1DX and 7D might be similar, but the 7D's are crammed into a much smaller sensor. Of course I always knew the FF sensor would provide better IQ, due to it's larger surface area and consequently greater light gathering ability, it was just the difference in sharpness particularly apparent in TDP's sample crops that astounded me.

The other thing I think was confusing me was the units for resolution- lp/mm, which is independent of sensor size, and lp/ph, which is not.

Anyway, it makes more sense to me now, thanks again for taking the time.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:34:41 PM by insanitybeard »
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Question regarding ultrawide lenses on crop and full frame cameras
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »