November 23, 2014, 08:57:40 AM

Author Topic: A chicken in every pot and a SSD in every computer  (Read 9160 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: A chicken in every pot and a SSD in every computer
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 01:44:36 AM »
Now $0.50/GB down from $1 earlier this year.  Hope this trends accelerates - like to see SSD down below $0.25/GB ($250/1TB) and eventually below $0.10/GB ($100/TB).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 01:44:36 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 02:08:13 AM »
This is good news indeed. I have 500GB in my laptop and the two are nearly always full, and I still carry an external with me to events. In fact I actually back up through three different externals so the one I carry with me is always nearly empty (ish).

Having 2 TB inside the machine would be very welcome indeed.

1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

3kramd5

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »
I am aware that SSD will significantly increase the start up times and read/write times but I have a specific question regarding the the performance of Adobe CS6, Lightroom 4.4, Final Cut Pro etc, with an SSD:
I currently have a Mac Book Pro Mid 2010 (OSX 10.8.3) with 16 GB DDR 3 RAM, 750GB HDD, 2.9 GHz intel Core i7 processor, and all of the above programs work perfectly, I have no issue at all, but what I want to know is will upgrading to an SSD will have a significant performance improvement after those programs have been launched?

That depends on whether those programs are continually reading and writing to that drive (i.e. you don't have an external data drive).

In my system, I have two SSDs. One is for the OS and applications. The other is where I import photo (and the odd video) sessions to, and for application scratch space (e.g. LR, Photoshop, Edius). Lightroom catalogs get created on that second SSD on a per-shoot basis (e.g. I have SSD\LIGHTROOM\2013-04-10\2013-04-10.lrcat and SSD\DATA\2013-04-10\<DNG files>), and they remain there until my workflow is complete after which I push them to my archival library on a large spinning drive.

It's noticeably faster, particularly for large sessions where my memory (16GB) is quickly consumed and I have to rely on swap (but to be fair, my previous methodology had me working from a 5400RPM drive, so the jump to SATA3 SSD may not be representative of your gains). This is all subjective. I've done no testing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:43:22 AM by 3kramd5 »
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
This article may help answer your question:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/blog/will-an-ssd-improve-adobe-lightroom-performance

I am aware that SSD will significantly increase the start up times and read/write times but I have a specific question regarding the the performance of Adobe CS6, Lightroom 4.4, Final Cut Pro etc, with an SSD:
I currently have a Mac Book Pro Mid 2010 (OSX 10.8.3) with 16 GB DDR 3 RAM, 750GB HDD, 2.9 GHz intel Core i7 processor, and all of the above programs work perfectly, I have no issue at all, but what I want to know is will upgrading to an SSD will have a significant performance improvement after those programs have been launched?
6D, 5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »

It is a little like a DSLR, there are many components that make it better.

I am no fan of anything "Apple" and I recommend the high end Lenovo or Dell machines for heavy image, engineering apps and HD video etc.

That aside, it will give you a boost upgrading to an SSD if all the components are correctly in place and aligned. The CPU plays a major part, the video card again is extremely important, your RAM and the type of RAM etc. Plus a lot of people forget the bus, if you connect an SSD to a SATA 2 bus then performance will be limited. I think 3 (GB/s) is the latest (not sure though), so no matter what the SSD claims is the read/write speed if your laptop cannot handle those speeds you just won't get them

My laptop currently has two SSDs in it and could have four, but for me the main advantage with SSD (apart from the speed) is how quiet they are. Really makes a difference to your day if you work somewhere very quiet.

So would I recommend an SSD, definitely. Do I recommend upgrading a current laptop from a 750GB spin drive with all the headaches that that entails? That is the major question imho. Personally, I probably would wait until you want to upgrade your entire laptop. But if you are comfortable technically moving from a 750GB spin to a SSD then why not.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:53:25 PM by expatinasia »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:05 AM »

I am no fan of anything "Apple" and I recommend the high end Lenovo or Dell machines for heavy image, engineering apps and HD video etc.

That aside, it will give you a boost upgrading to an SSD if all the components are correctly in place and aligned. The CPU plays a major part, the video card again is extremely important, your RAM and the type of RAM etc. Plus a lot of people forget the bus, if you connect an SSD to a SATA 2 bus then performance will be limited. I think 3 (GB/s) is the latest (not sure though), so no matter what the SSD claims is the read/write speed if your laptop cannot handle those speeds you just won't get them

My laptop currently has two SSDs in it and could have four, but for me the main advantage with SSD (apart from the speed) is how quiet they are. Really makes a difference to your day if you work somewhere very quiet.

So would I recommend an SSD, definitely. Do I recommend upgrading a current laptop from a 750GB spin drive with all the headaches that that entails? That is the major question imho. Personally, I probably would wait until you want to upgrade your entire laptop. But if you are comfortable technically moving from a 750GB spin to a SSD then why not.
Thanks for your reply ... unfortunately it does not answer my question. My question is very specific, i.e. "will upgrading to an SSD have a significant performance improvement specifically for CS6, LR 4.4 & Final Cut Pro, after they have been launched?
I also use a Dell Alienware Mx14 (2012 version Core i7) which has a dedicated graphic card, yet the MacBook Pro outperforms but my question, about SSD replacment, remains the same for either systems.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »

Thanks for your reply ... unfortunately it does not answer my question. My question is very specific, i.e. "will upgrading to an SSD have a significant performance improvement specifically for CS6, LR 4.4 & Final Cut Pro, after they have been launched?
I also use a Dell Alienware Mx14 (2012 version Core i7) which has a dedicated graphic card, yet the MacBook Pro outperforms but my question, about SSD replacment, remains the same for either systems.

Your Alienware is nice but it is not the top end Dell or Lenovo I was talking about, they are different beasts entirely. Anyway, my answer does answer your question. Which bit are you unclear of? I say, in extremely brief summary of what I wrote before, that it depends on numerous factors not just the SSD.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
Regardless of what they tell you, this will NOT speed up your chickens.

There's an inherent bus issue with most chickens.

I disagree.  When I inserted this into a chicken's "bus" it speed up quite a bit faster... you might even call it overdrive mode.

Did make considerable much more noise though

faidwen

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 07:36:09 AM »
You will find that a RAID array might increase your performance more than just an SSD depending on what specifically you are trying to accomplish.

Being able to read the data from more than one location can greatly increase disk heavy performance.

For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Jay H

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
If your motherboard does not support SATA III - 6mb/sec vs SATA II 3mb/sec - you need something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115075

This will improve both SATA III SSD's and SATA III mechanical drives performance significantly. I have 8 SSD's and 18 HD's. In my experience, with several HD's installed, some not recently accessed ones will spin down, causing a substantial lag when accessed. SSD's do not have this problem.

I prefer to read from SSD's and write to HD's.

Overall, my subjective observation over the last year or so is that Windows boots faster and programs load faster with SSD's. Write times - not so much.

2n10

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »

It will help with program start up but after the program starts for the most part everything is in your RAM.  So for the most part no additional help after start up.  Write should be faster so that may be the only noticeable increase.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
If I needed 1TB, I'd put two of the 840 pros in a raid setup for $800.
Don't put an SSD in a RAID array; it will kill your performance.  The SSD firmware does a ton of optimizations to keep itself healthy long-term, and RAID undermines that.

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »
You will find that a RAID array might increase your performance more than just an SSD depending on what specifically you are trying to accomplish.
Can I guess that you don't own an SSD?

Putting spinning drives in a RAID array for performance does not actually increase real-world performance.  It looks great on benchmark tests, but does very little for actual usage.

An SSD, on the other hand, makes a HUGE difference.

SSD is for performance, RAID is for reliabiltiy and redundancy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »

It will help with program start up but after the program starts for the most part everything is in your RAM.  So for the most part no additional help after start up.  Write should be faster so that may be the only noticeable increase.
Thanks for replying to my specific question ... appreciate that.
Regards
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
There are still mechanical HDs in use?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »