October 25, 2014, 09:06:18 PM

Author Topic: The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K  (Read 15028 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »
An EF mount 4K cinema camera
For the second year in a row, the biggest buzz from the show has come from Blackmagic Design (you’re a close second Freefly).

Last year they launched a 2.5K cinema camera that has been plagued with availability issues. People that have got their hands on one seem to genuinely like the camera. Although there are still a lot of people that have been frustrated by their inability to get one.

This year Blackmagic Design launched two new cameras, a compact cinema camera for $995 and the very exciting 4K camera for under $4000. The camera itself has a Super 35 sensor and has a global shutter, which eliminates the rolling shutter frustration.

From Blackmagic Design “Shoot Ultra HD TV or 4K feature films with the new Blackmagic Production Camera 4K. You get a large Super 35 size sensor with professional global shutter combined with precision EF mount optics, high quality visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)™ file recording for a complete self contained solution. The built in touchscreen lets you monitor, change settings and enter metadata directly on the camera!”

I spent a half an hour or so with Blackmagic Design along with my friend Mitch from Planet5D. It was a good talk and has changed my view of Blackmagic Design and how successful I think they can be.

First up, the production issues of the first camera. The company feels those are behind them, they’ve learned a lot from the issues. The first camera had issues with sensor production, one of the only a handful of parts inside the camera that Blackmagic Design doesn’t manufacture themselves. For the last year, they have had an abundance of camera bodies without sensors inside them. The new sensor comes from a new supplier and they’ve made sure they are going to be able to meet demand. Blackmagic Design wouldn’t tell us who that manufacturer was at the time of writing this, as they don’t feel it matters to consumers where the sensor comes from. As long as they can produce them, and the camera gives good results, who cares? I agree with that point, but I do appreciate the passion of camera lovers.

That being said, the speculation is the sensor is made by CMOSIS , as it shares some physical similarities to the Leica M sensor. CMOSIS also makes a Super35 sensor that is in the Apertus camera.

The camera will only be available in EF mount, as the distance to the sensor prevents a PL mount version of the camera. The image circle is also too big for Micro 4/3 lenses.

The camera is slated for release in July, so there should be decent stock of them in August if what were told today about product was true.

This may not be the only cinema camera you own, but it’s shaping up to be one a lot of people with add to the kit. At under $4000, it’s almost a no brainer. One may appear in my camera bag, so I can continue to make bad movies, but at 4K resolution!

Thanks for your time Blackmagic Design.

Visit Blackmagic Design | Preorder the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K $3995

cr

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:01:15 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
make bad movies, but at 4K resolution!

'Nuff said.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »

'Nuff said.

I might get better one day. :)
canonrumors.com

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »

'Nuff said.

I might get better one day. :)

I keep the videos just for family events, nothing else.  My videos are quite rough too.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »
Wonder how the video quality will compare to a 1DC
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

ktabes

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
The Blackmagic pocketcam also looks like a neat tool to add. A 1000 bucks is kinda cool.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
Let's hope Canon is paying attention, because THIS is how you innovate!
You offer a camera that is much better than your previous model with features that your most discerning customers want and that won't make it obsolete in a year or two. Features that look to the future like Thunderbolt I/O and 4K video capture. And then you offer it at a price that makes your competitors' heads spin. Bravo to BlackMagic for showing the big boys how it's done. This is the company that RED Digital Cinema should have been but alas they've become just like all the rest.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:48:35 PM by DarkKnightNine »
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
Let's hope Canon is paying attention, because THIS is how you innovate!
You offer a camera that is much better than your previous model with features that your most discerning customers want and that won't make it obsolete in a year or two. Features that look to the future like Thunderbolt I/O and 4K video capture. And then you offer it at a price that makes your competitors' heads spin. Bravo to BlackMagic for showing the big boys how it's done. This is the company that RED Digital Cinema should have been but alas they've become just like all the rest.

sad thing is Canon could've easily been here and had it all locked up, instead they are run by short-sighted and highly conservative bean counter these days who keep the engineers in a dungeon and give them a little bread and water if they are good.

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
Makes the Canon C line look like a pile of turd. Who in their right mind would buy a C300 or 1DC with this?

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
OK...today Blackmagic has hijacked the topic at all of my camera blogs....even my MFT blogs...I am a still shooter and have no desire to shoot video...and not much understanding about it...but from what I have seen the Blackmagic units blow away the 5DIII in the video dept..no contest (correct???).I am just curious...how do Canon's expensive cinema specific cameras hold up to the Blackmagic units???
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:09:48 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »
Bravo to BlackMagic for showing the big boys how it's done. This is the company that RED Digital Cinema should have been but alas they've become just like all the rest.

Is it possible that they underestimated how expensive it is to innovate?
We have all had conversations about "how cheap the parts for gear are and how come someone doesn't put it together and show the big boys"
When the real world intrudes one finds things are priced where they are for a reason.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »
The Blackmagic pocketcam also looks like a neat tool to add. A 1000 bucks is kinda cool.

THAT was the one that caught MY attention!!!

I'm thinking for under a grand, this is going to likely be my immediate 2nd camera for video...that with my 5D3 will work great for shoots I would think.

I need to research the MFT lenses tho...on the site BM seems to promote them as plentiful in manufacture and focal lengths, etc.

All I know about are Canon EF lenses...so, needing to know what to find, how much this set of lenses will be and what focal lengths would be best to start with....

I did note that this mini BM camera, has powered MFT..which the original camera apparently does not..so, on the original, there is no auto iris adjustment....

I'm wondering on this mini too..since it is powered..is there an adapter for MFT to EF canon lenses..so I might could use some of the glass I currently have on the new mini BM camera.

Can anyone give me links or a small primer on MFT mounts, how they differ from EF...and what focal lengths work on it vs my 5D3?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
Who else remembers Super VHS?  I bought a SVHS camcorder back in the 1980's as well as a couple of AG series Panasonic recorders and editing console for personal use.  Even though the eventual output was VHS, I wanted to do editing with the best possible original material.  (I also have a really old 1/2 inch? Sony recorder out in storage, I need to fire it up and see if it still works.  I bet someone somewhere needs one to play or transfer those old tapes)

That stuff was totally obsolete in a few years.

I no longer do video, except to play with short clips, I don't have the patience for it, so I admire those who do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »

Andy_Hodapp

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Andy Hodapp
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
Let me just get this straight, so it has the same sensor size as the 5D Mkiii and only costs $500 more at there releases and it shoots 4K raw...
Canon 5D MKII, Canon 17-40mm F/4L, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Helios 44M-4 58mm F/2, Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro F/2.8, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, Canon 200mm F/2.8L, Yongnuo YN-560 II, S100 with underwater housing

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
Let me just get this straight, so it has the same sensor size as the 5D Mkiii and only costs $500 more at there releases and it shoots 4K raw...
Close, with one very important correction: Super 35mm is a film format that is approximately APS-C size.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »