December 19, 2014, 05:54:16 PM

Author Topic: So ready for a move up from 450D - But how big? 5DMIII / 6D or ..? Edit: DONE !!  (Read 7035 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: So ready for a move up from 450D - But how big? To 5DMIII / 6D or ...?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »
This is not a Rumor, but I'd just sit tight and see what happens with new APS-C models coming out this year.  Then you can decide.  You have excellent lenses to use with a higher performing APS-C model, but to get the same FOV you are used to, you will need lenses that have a 1.6X increase in focal length, and that is going to involve $$.  To see the same FOV as your 70-200, you would need 112- 320mm.  A 70-300mmL is close, but smaller aperture, or a 100-400mmL.
Think about what you need to get the same FOV for your birding with your APS-C and budget for a longer telephoto.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »

cheeseheadsaint

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
This is a helpful thread for me too! I know every so often I keep posting about upgrading from the XSi but I never end up doing so. Very interested in seeing which one you end up picking! I used to shoot birds in flight but now I do sports/events. I'm definitely looking for a larger buffer to shoot more than 6 raw frames at a time and high iso/low noise.

For me money is an issue but I doubt you want to spend more than you have to either. I'm currently leaning towards 6D despite autofocus features on the 5dmkiii is prolly better suited for an action photographer because either way, the upgrade that you'd be making is still better than the Rebel XSi. and the extra cash saved can go toward lenses and other gadgets. at least that's the approach i'm thinking.
Canon Rebel XSi, kit lens, 50mm f1.8, ef-s 55-250mm IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 6D

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
Other than possible new exciting sensor tech for APC to lessen the gap with FF, I just upgraded 1 month ago from the 450D to 6D and LOVE IT!!!!  I mostly shoot landscape, kids and some weddings and there are enough keepers with the 6D that I couldn't see justifying the 5D3.    I could now never go back to APC format.

OOO and gimic or not I use the WIFI feature all the time I love it.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »
For some reasons, I have been having a hard time getting used to the dial on the EOS 6D. It has a "set" and multi-directions dial button within its main dial at the back. It is very frustrating to me as I will be hitting random keys and navigate off menus most of the time. Also, it doesn't have a joystick.

Since I was used to the 7D control set-up, I struggled a little with the lack of a joystick use of the multi-controller on the 6D.  But, after several weeks of shooting it became second nature and is as easy to operate as the 7D - its just a matter of becoming familiar with the controls. 

Since use my 6D 95% of the time now, I find using the 7D a little more difficult since I'm so used to the 6D controls.

..I just upgraded 1 month ago from the 450D to 6D and LOVE IT!!!!  I mostly shoot landscape, kids and some weddings and there are enough keepers with the 6D that I couldn't see justifying the 5D3.    I could now never go back to APC format.

+1
I shoot the same things and find the 6D a nearly perfect camera for these uses.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:29:34 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
My jump was a bit smaller, from a 50d to a 5diii.  I really felt like I was getting pretty good results from the 50d and could change settings at will while taking shots.  But, I got tired of the noise!

The cons for the switch: Had to sell my 50d and some glass to afford the new camera and non-EFs lenses I'd need, and those replacement FF lenses cost more than what I had.  The new camera and glass definitely is bigger and weighs more.  Even though there are many similarities, I am still way at the beginning of a new learning curve moving from crop to Ff and a new camera.

BUT (the pros for the switch), when I "nail" a shot, the IQ, lack of noise and DOF control are so much better than what I had that all the "regrets" fade away.  Perhaps, were the 6d around when I made the switch, I' d have considered it.  But do really consider FF, then think about focusing and low light that works for you and do it.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

PKinDenmark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:09:37 AM »
THANK YOU !!

I am overwhelmed by the excellent feedback / replies, that you have posted. So well-informed, detailed, pesonal and experience-based.

Yes, basically I said that I wanted it all in one package. Still I know that compromises have to be made. Here your thoughts are very helpful. Not saying that it all sums up to one definite way to go (and I did not expect that either).

I read quite a number of very happy 6D stories.
And not surprising many 5DmkIII users': 'Go for it'.
Even some crop-supporters (7D or wait and see what new crop-body and sensor may bring).

And you have contributed a number of additional considerations, relating directly to my situation. I find that very helpful.

And in the end I still have to make up my own mind - one of the more pleasant challenges   :)

In reply to some of your points let me add a few extra facts:
 - I can find the budget for the 5DmkIII, if I am convinced that it is the right choice
 - I know that I will need to replace the EF-S 10-22 for WA (and sell the 15-85 too)
 - Actually I do have an old 1.4 TC and an old well-worn 16-35 2.8 (in preparation for the move in each end of the range). Those could help me - at least for a period.
 - I have and regularly use a good tripod, and an older flash (a 420EX)
 - I do work in RAW for most important motives (sometimes in DPP but mostly in ACR in Elements)
 - Plan to move to LightRoom soon

I hope to make the move soon - and still appreciate additional replies.
I will let you know how I decided - and how it goes.

Thank you again.
Keen amateur. Current kit: Canon 6D since April 2013. 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8 L IS, 1.4x II TC, 16-35 f/2.8 (I), Tamron 150-600mm. Canon 420 EX flash.

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 04:29:46 AM »
I just moved from a 450D to a 5D MK III...  all i can say is that i have not looked back...  EVERYTHING is better... I went for the 5D over the 6D mainly because of the AF and i prefered the feel of it in my hand... pick them both up, and try them...  rent them both for a weekend, see which one does it for you...  :) either way, the IQ is exponentially better! Enjoy!
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 04:29:46 AM »

Lionfoto

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 06:16:37 AM »
Nearly all aspects have been spoken of in the above comments.
So I only add one...

I moved up from the 40D to the formidable (used) 5D(mkI), then to the 5Dmk3.
Although I thought the colors couldn't be better dan the mkI, I am really surprised of the deepness and the fineness of the color spectrum of the mk3. It's really amazing.

Would never go back, the 5Dmk3 is such a great camera.
Will the 6D have that incredible color spectrum, too? I'm not sure...

Succes choosing your dream camera!

PKinDenmark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
Thank you for the newest input.
Now planning next step: Visit a good Photo-shop (brick and mortar) tomorrow and get a talk and a try.

In the meantime I will post a few of my various photos here.
Keen amateur. Current kit: Canon 6D since April 2013. 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8 L IS, 1.4x II TC, 16-35 f/2.8 (I), Tamron 150-600mm. Canon 420 EX flash.

gngan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: I went from 350D to 6D. Very happy.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:12 AM »
I recently moved from a 350D to a 6D.  I felt the 5DMkIII was just too bulky.  I only have the 24-105/4 and 50/1.4 but am supremely happy with the 6D.  The IQ is stunning and while the 5DMkIII AF is obviously better, I don't consider it to be worth the extra grand, which I am putting towards a 70-200/2.8. 

Would you be happy with a 5DMkII if the MkIII were not out?  In essence the 6D is the new 5DMkII in a smaller body with GPS & WiFi.

If you had a 5DMkII would you upgrade to a MkIII?  Personally I wouldn't, which to my logic means the difference between the 6D and 5DMkIII is not sufficient enough.

DKS.

"Why do I fly?  I fly to release my mind from the tyranny of petty things."
Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

I don't think that's the only way of seeing things. I was torn between 5DIII and 6D when I wanted to upgrade from my 550D (I had 450D previously).

I chose 5DIII because of the things i do with my equipment (panning motorcycles). If you don't need the FPS or AF then 6D is good enough.

Therefore your comment "If you had a 5DMkII would you upgrade to a MkIII?  Personally I wouldn't, which to my logic means the difference between the 6D and 5DMkIII is not sufficient enough." is not valid.

fear_through_the_eyes

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 02:54:53 AM »
Hi buddy, I have a 500D body and similar lenses line-up as yours plus a few cheap primes. They're still doing everything just fine. (40+ shots explored on flickr and a few sales on Getty Images). Personally I wouldn't upgrade any time soon. Hold on to your money or invest in something else (like setting up a home studio or a trip to an exotic photo location overseas). Just my two cents...

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:25 AM »
Hi buddy, I have a 500D body and similar lenses line-up as yours plus a few cheap primes. They're still doing everything just fine. (40+ shots explored on flickr and a few sales on Getty Images). Personally I wouldn't upgrade any time soon. Hold on to your money or invest in something else (like setting up a home studio or a trip to an exotic photo location overseas). Just my two cents...

+1 There are many other things you can invest in, unless you're making money with photography then you can justify making big purchases. ;) If you're seriously loaded with cash, no one can stop you but then again you probably wouldn't be asking either O.o Personally, if I had all the money in the world I still wouldn't mind keeping a 450D, because then I'd just hire a professional chap with a 1DX to shoot photos for me instead while I enjoy not holding anything, LOL. Anyways, the point is, like fear says, always put the quality of your life before your gear.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

PKinDenmark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Update:

I decided for a 6D today. 
Have not tried anything serious yet, but it looks sooo much like being my right choice. 
Glad I moved.    ;D

Thank you for all your great input.

Will come back with some pictures, promise.

canon rumors FORUM

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Congrats on the purpose!  Post some pictures with it when you have time.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

BPLOL

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
You will not regret.

I've made the jump from a XTi to the 6D, and shot after shot I'm amazed at how the camera manages to get the shots in perfect focus (of course, I'm not including here action shots - never tried it). Even the outer AF points nail it perfectly, and if they cannot lock (too dark), the center point will for sure.

And I'll not even start talking about the image quality (my XTi had a bad ISO 1600), DOF possibilities (the 24-105 f4 beats my old EF-S 17-55 f2.8 in this aspect), features, build quality, etc.

I've been waiting for a 70D / 7DII for too long, and even if they are released now with better AF, I don't think I would be able to go back to APS-C now that I've been spoiled with FF.

canon rumors FORUM