August 02, 2014, 05:08:23 AM

Author Topic: Review - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM  (Read 39150 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: Review - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
It approaches the Canon 135mm f/2.0L in just about every characteristic (betters it in none as far as I can tell) and it's far more versatile for me.

It could not be farther apart from the 135L. The 135L is a bokeh machine, while the S35 is not, to put it mildly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
Colors on the left are more vivid. Background on the right is more pleasant to the eye. Is the Sigma on the right?

Thanks.

OK , I took these few minutes ago, same parameters.
Now there are differences in the red colors, one camera can not separate red/orange colors as the other, mainly because of the CFA and also the profile.(we can take a color profile discussion later so all understand what a profile does or not with the bokeh, contrast curves, colors  etc  who plays a major  role in what we think us se, or not )

Now to the background
which one do you think is more pleasing than the other? here are the same parameters regarding contrast curve=linear  and the same adobe profile are chosen

canon 35mm and sigma 35mm both at F 1.4
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
Our experiences have led us to different conclusions. So be it.

It approaches the Canon 135mm f/2.0L in just about every characteristic (betters it in none as far as I can tell) and it's far more versatile for me.

It could not be farther apart from the 135L. The 135L is a bokeh machine, while the S35 is not, to put it mildly.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
OK...what I have become a big "fanboy" of is Justin's reviews. They are fantastic, along with the images he includes.
Love the shot of Trevor (and thanks for the lighting info).
I own the lens and it is simply the best 35mm on the market for a Canon 5dIII owner, (the great price is just a bonus).
It is a joy to twist this glass onto the front of my rig. (No winking needed). Who cares if Canon updates their 35L!
(I figure with the $1000 I saved I will pick up a 135L next week when the rebate kicks in!).
Unlike Justin...the only complaint I have is the useless toaster-cozy case? WTF? A big square lunch case for a sleek round lens???? Go figure. That thing went right back in the box as soon as I took the lens out. What would be nice is a custom-fit, sleek neoprene case. Keep it simple.
I also own the Sigma 50mm and although it is not at the level of this new 35mm I am very happy with that lens, too. (Guess I got a good copy... I covered the unsightly shinny gold ring with pinstriping tape, no...not red,  just for fun and to confuse enthusiasts! LOL!).
My only question is: Dare we expect more of this from Sigma????
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
OK , I took these few minutes ago, same parameters.
Now there are differences in the red colors, one camera can not separate red/orange colors as the other, mainly because of the CFA and also the profile.(we can take a color profile discussion later so all understand what a profile does or not with the bokeh, contrast curves, colors  etc  who plays a major  role in what we think us se, or not )

Now to the background
which one do you think is more pleasing than the other? here are the same parameters regarding contrast curve=linear  and the same adobe profile are chosen

canon 35mm and sigma 35mm both at F 1.4

This is a closeup, almost a macro, and the image on the right is taken from a slightly closer distance (maybe due to the different lens and the different body). As a result, the background on the right is blurred more, and you can see the different perspective. Also, in closeup shots, the effective FL changes a lot, the f stop changes, etc.

Testing non-macro lenses in such closeup situations is not such a great way to evaluate a lens. BTW, next time you do that, do not put the other camera in the frame!  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:28:55 PM by Pi »

giotto

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi, I want to post a pic and try to use the attachment function - but I have no success. The file is 1,3 mb and a jpeg format. I want to upload it from my HDD. But it failed all the time.
In the browser address I have this: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=45;board=70

and then I can wait for a lot of time and the screen is only white.

I havn`t found any helpdesk for my problem and I also don`t know how to reach an administrator to help me.
So I choose this way

WHO CAN HELP ME  :-[  :-[  :-[

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »
Another thread turned into a test chart comparison argument. I'm surprised there's no BBQ in these photos.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Another thread turned into a test chart comparison argument. I'm surprised there's no BBQ in these photos.

Notice how I don't do that in my reviews ;)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »

Notice how I don't do that in my reviews ;)

THANK GOD!!!!!!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 04:51:55 AM »
Sadly, both lenses have no weathersealing. I think it's a shame to shoot with optics worth a grand and they get spoiled in the first rain. I think the producingcosts of some siliconrings can't exceed more than a few bucks. Of course the design would be a little bit more complicated, but this lense is meant to be superior...

It even would push canon a little bit more to produce a Mark II of their own lense, for a fair price.
5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »
Sadly, both lenses have no weathersealing. I think it's a shame to shoot with optics worth a grand and they get spoiled in the first rain. I think the producingcosts of some siliconrings can't exceed more than a few bucks. Of course the design would be a little bit more complicated, but this lense is meant to be superior...

It even would push canon a little bit more to produce a Mark II of their own lense, for a fair price.

How often do you shoot in the rain?
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

bjd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »
Hi, I want to post a pic and try to use the attachment function - but I have no success. The file is 1,3 mb and a jpeg format. I want to upload it from my HDD. But it failed all the time.
In the browser address I have this: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=45;board=70

and then I can wait for a lot of time and the screen is only white.

I havn`t found any helpdesk for my problem and I also don`t know how to reach an administrator to help me.
So I choose this way

WHO CAN HELP ME  :-[  :-[  :-[

Hi, one time I had similar problems, seems like some pgms create .jpgs that the CR website cant handle. Try to download a jpg from the site and then post it again. You know that jpg will be OK. If it works then just modify your post. Now, what exactly the problem is with certain jpgs, who knows?

Cheers

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

"Spoiled in the first rain"???  Do you really think these lens are THAT delicate?  Admittedly, most of my kit is weathersealed, but I have shot with non-weathersealed lens in a lot of crazy weather and have yet to have a lens be "spoiled in the first rain".  I think you should always exercise caution and protect your gear as much as possible, but I don't think either the 35L or the Siggy are quite so delicate as that.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

"Spoiled in the first rain"???  Do you really think these lens are THAT delicate?  Admittedly, most of my kit is weathersealed, but I have shot with non-weathersealed lens in a lot of crazy weather and have yet to have a lens be "spoiled in the first rain".  I think you should always exercise caution and protect your gear as much as possible, but I don't think either the 35L or the Siggy are quite so delicate as that.

@ Vscd: All you need really is a decent rain cover for your camera bag for unexpected showers. Or are we talking about actually walking about in the rain with your gear cos that seems silly to me even with weathersealed lenses.  ???

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:33:15 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
If we are looking at something subjective as Bokeh the contrast curve and many other things plays a major role
like the profiles we are using , behind is a Husqvarna  (Husky) motor saw and the color is orange, here we can see how adobe standard + linear curve represents the orange as red ,  on the right is a custom profile for my Canon camera  created with qp-card+linear curve , the same raw file are used, colors, contrst curves etc plays a major role in what we call bokeh, not only the lens.

How does it compare to the Adobe camera profile?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »