August 01, 2014, 05:20:00 AM

Author Topic: Review - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM  (Read 39121 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
The results from the Sigma do look good; I've never really been an ultra shallow DOF shooter so perhaps that's why I can't think of any situations when you'd be shooting at f1.4 and require critical corner sharpness.

Can someone post a real picture which has razor thin DOF but requires corner resolution ?

you will never get critical corner sharpness at 1,4 but it shows that sigma in this case is much better than canon at 1,4 which not can be bad parameter.

Last pictures regarding the  bokeh issue, to me they are very equal

Well, I will wait to agree with that until after I get
The Zeiss 55  ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
The results from the Sigma do look good; I've never really been an ultra shallow DOF shooter so perhaps that's why I can't think of any situations when you'd be shooting at f1.4 and require critical corner sharpness.

Can someone post a real picture which has razor thin DOF but requires corner resolution ?

you will never get critical corner sharpness at 1,4 but it shows that sigma in this case is much better than canon at 1,4 which not can be bad parameter.

Last pictures regarding the  bokeh issue, to me they are very equal

You keep using those lenses as macro lenses...

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
yes , what ever , 1,5 m with a 35mm to the target  and 1m to the book shell behind the focus plane , macro?
you seems to   have trouble to understand that the sigma can be good as the canon

You have trouble understanding that both can be bad, as I and many other people demonstrated already. If you blur the background enough, as you did, you will see no essential difference. I told you that a few days ago.

Try to challenge both lenses. Look at the other thread for examples of bad bokeh. DO NOT FOCUS CLOSE! Use the lens, well, the way you will use it. Instead of a miniature, put a real person there. 

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
I don't have any problem to understand that the back ground or fore ground can be nervous , but here are the 2 lenses compared at the same  distances and there are several distances.

But neither of them reveals anything like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dav8/8574231708/#sizes/c/in/pool-2109177@N20/

Your "several distances" are too short. You concluded that both lenses have wonderful bokeh, which is incorrect in many situations. They typically include shooting half-body environmental portraits, not miniature toys; and not always wide open. 

millan

• Power Shot G16
  • Photography is a kind of magic...
    • View Profile
    • mm.art.photo
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
I don't have any problem to understand that the back ground or fore ground can be nervous , but here are the 2 lenses compared at the same  distances and there are several distances.

But neither of them reveals anything like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dav8/8574231708/#sizes/c/in/pool-2109177@N20/

Your "several distances" are too short. You concluded that both lenses have wonderful bokeh, which is incorrect in many situations. They typically include shooting half-body environmental portraits, not miniature toys; and not always wide open.

Pi, ankorwatt says, and pictures prove that, the Sigma has not worse bokeh, than canon has, despite it has less CA and is sharper - optically better. No more, no less. And no one says the bokeh of 35 mm f1.4 lens is as nice as 70-200 f2.8 II or 135 f2 for example. But from 35 mm f1.4 lens bunch it is the best one.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
I do not care what others have done or not if they not have compared the 2 lenses side by side, , here you can se the 2 lenses at the side of each other and the same motive
and stop now telling me  that the distance are to short.

This is more like it. Why can't we see the whole frames?

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
oh my.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
Another thread turned into a test chart comparison argument. I'm surprised there's no BBQ in these photos.

Notice how I don't do that in my reviews ;)
THANK GOD!!!!!!

same here, notice that I have the both lenses and are a little bit allergic to peoples statements when they not have a clue what they are talking about and have not tested the lenses against each other
So here comes two new files. Which is best regarding bokeh ? f-1,4 from sigma and canon and the background
I see clearly green ca from one of the lenses, is this to short or to long from the sharpness plane and to the  back ground?

no more sensor, now talking about lens?  yes, i do know some of sigma lenses are better than canon but i prefer to use canon due to possibility of unknown unexpected/intermittent communication erroneous (proprietary interface specs and designs).  however, to match these two particular images together (not the rest of them):

PULL BLACK TO THE LEFT TINY BIT PLEASE... MIGHT NEED TO ADJUST A LITTLE OF HIGHLIGHT... BUMMER

worth to risk? NO
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:15:59 PM by ishdakuteb »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
What I have found is that  the bokeh is very similar, the Sigma render the back ground little bit smoother, the Sigma lens has higher sharpness/resolution  and good resolution in the corners even at 1,4  where Canon 35mm  is very soft.

Speaking about corner resolution wide open - not that it really matters - can you find any confirmation of what we see here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=829&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=121&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

It is a bad case of astigmatism: the Sigma has very poor vertical resolution and very good horizontal one. The Canon is much more uniform but it has lower contrast (which I can confirm - there is some diagonal, comma-like smearing).

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
What I have found is that  the bokeh is very similar, the Sigma render the back ground little bit smoother, the Sigma lens has higher sharpness/resolution  and good resolution in the corners even at 1,4  where Canon 35mm  is very soft.

Speaking about corner resolution wide open - not that it really matters - can you find any confirmation of what we see here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=829&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=121&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

It is a bad case of astigmatism: the Sigma has very poor vertical resolution and very good horizontal one. The Canon is much more uniform but it has lower contrast (which I can confirm - there is some diagonal, comma-like smearing).

I'm not seeing TDP result reflected in the pictures posted by ankowatt - again. I say again because I started a thread about inconsistencies between test results from TDP and photozone, citing the 70-300L as an example, but no one was interested.

ankorwatt's examples show the Sigma to be far better in the extreme corners than the Canon 35L, more so than you would guess from the TDP results. However my guess is that photozone will make the difference very clear. As I stated in an earlier post I wouldn't change my 35L because of soft extreme corners at f1.4 anyway

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »

I'm not seeing TDP result reflected in the pictures posted by ankowatt - again. I say again because I started a thread about inconsistencies between test results from TDP and photozone, citing the 70-300L as an example, but no one was interested.

ankorwatt's examples show the Sigma to be far better in the extreme corners than the Canon 35L, more so than you would guess from the TDP results. However my guess is that photozone will make the difference very clear. As I stated in an earlier post I wouldn't change my 35L because of soft extreme corners at f1.4 anyway

The results may depend on where you focus - in the center, or in the corners. Not that I will ever focus in the corners. TDP focus only in the center.

BTW, the 35L is the best focusing lens I own or even tried; and this includes 20+ lenses. I would think twice before I let it go, when the 35LII materializes. I get consistently good results even with the outer AF points of the 5D2, which we all know are useless.  ;)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »
I did not ask you for numbers that I can find myself on the web. I asked you if you can confirm what I see on TDP. If you do not want to do the test, fine. I did not say anything to defend either lens. You are too sensitive.

BTW, this numbers do not distinguish between horizontal and vertical resolution. My guess would be field curvature, and with proper focusing, I expect the Sigma to look better that on TDP, and much better than the Canon. Does this sound as a defense of the Canon? :)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
So sad.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »

I agree so far the sigma 35 has been an outstanding lens for me
also I thinkt he sigma renders colours a little warmer which I like, maybe 200K on the lightroom slider
APS-H Fanboy

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »

I agree so far the sigma 35 has been an outstanding lens for me
also I thinkt he sigma renders colours a little warmer which I like, maybe 200K on the lightroom slider
Many times I can't tell a good picture from a not so good picture, my eyes are not so good and I am not skilled enough. Having said that I am still very happy with my 35L. I think it delivers great character in the images I capture, maybe the Sigma is better but I still wouldn't make a change as it simply doesn't makes sense. First of all since it's not a priority, I have other priorities gear-wise, secondly as I have said before, the 35L has proven itself over soon 15 years, we still don't know how the Sigma will keep up over years of hard use. But competition ie always good and I hope Sigma keeps launching new exciting lenses to push both Nikon and Canon to improve even further.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »