July 23, 2014, 02:44:14 AM

Author Topic: Please share your camera settings  (Read 5643 times)

sunnyVan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Please share your camera settings
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
Ken Rockwell claims that he doesn't need to shoot RAW and he said if you know what you are doing JPEG is fine. He also said the smallest size JPEG is good enough.

well I think I know what I'm doing but I need RAW. Anyway, my real question is
1. what size of RAW and JPEG do you normally use?
2. do you use camera NR at all? or do you use LR?
3. what settings would you advise against and for?
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm

I'm broke.

canon rumors FORUM

Please share your camera settings
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Please share your camera settings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
RAW only.  No in-camera NR (except long exposure NR as needed).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Skywise

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
RAW + JPG and I think the minimalist setting for NR with high ISO (which should only affect JPG I think?)

I take a lot of family vacation photos so it's easier to just dump the JPGs onto a USB for friends/family rather than post process all the RAW images.  But, when I've got the time, I like to go back to post-process the RAWs of the "good" images.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
Raw only.  If I need a JPG I extract the embedded JPG (in the raw file).

No noise reduction, but I seldom shoot over 1 second.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »
RAW + Small Fine Jpeg - Raw for edits, Jpeg for a carrier file or Instant needs.

Low NR in-camera and no long exposure NR.

filo64

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »

RGF, have you found a convenient way of extracting the JPGs? I have only ever done it in a pinch on my android device - not on my Win7 PC - and it was a hassle.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Ken Rockwell claims that he doesn't need to shoot RAW and he said if you know what you are doing JPEG is fine. He also said the smallest size JPEG is good enough.

well I think I know what I'm doing but I need RAW. Anyway, my real question is
1. what size of RAW and JPEG do you normally use?
2. do you use camera NR at all? or do you use LR?
3. what settings would you advise against and for?

> "he doesn't need to shoot RAW"
Fair enough. Everyone has different needs!
I have some photos that were unusable as in camera JPEG and turned out decent processed from RAW (maybe he would say I don't know what I am doing).
But,
unless you are lunatic as hell,
I know what I am doing well,
super busy shooting children who run around and yell,
the greatest and only, Ken Rockwell.

modern cameras allows you best of both worlds. Recording RAW as well as JPEG!!!

> "if you know what you are doing JPEG is fine"
Right answer is it depends on the shooting conditions and histogram. Does he know what he is doing?

> "smallest size JPEG is good enough"
Again it depends? Good enough for what? For iphone?

Answers to your question:
1) RAW on CF card, Med-Low JPEG on SDHC card for quick review (SDHC goes into my laptop or ipad (with adaptor) for instant review).
2) Photoshop only for printing
3) See #1, you can record Med-High JPEG on SDHC card for quick web uploading if you prefer.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:17:49 PM by comsense »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »

RGF, have you found a convenient way of extracting the JPGs? I have only ever done it in a pinch on my android device - not on my Win7 PC - and it was a hassle.

Breezebrowser Pro (www.breezsys.com) - at least my old version of the program extracts embedded jpgs

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
Large RAW only for me. I used to shoot L RAW + S JPEG but since I've started using Lightroom, its way more convenient to run the JPEG's out of the Export process in LR (easy to nominate the image size, quality, etc, which I usually ended up doing with the S JPEG's from the camera anyway).

NR in LR.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
Large RAW or Large JPEG.

NR in LR.

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
I only shoot RAW and convert out of Lightroom which I use for noise reduction, also use NIK for noise reduction if needed.
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:02:16 PM »
I agree it somewhat depends on your needs and skills at getting the right exposure. However, there are some circumstances where it really does make a big difference. Such as the shoot I'm doing tonight, which is an inside dance/burlesque performance which will undoubtedly have some poor to really bad lighting. So RAW lets me push the exposure a bit and fix the white balance which is undoubtedly screwed up because multiple lights with different gels on them, and use what I believe is superior LR4 noise reduction as opposed to camera NR. I'll try out the Nik Dfine2 that I go through the Google Nik Collection deal.

So, long way of saying, I pretty much always shoot full-sized RAW with long exposure NR (which does darkslide exposure to subtract noise), and otherwise low or no in camera NR. And then after I sort through what I'm keeping, I delete the rest generally to save on storage space.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Lgrant

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
I shoot jpg 95% of the time and I have learned to get it right on the camera. I use  neutral grey for white balance calabration for the current lighting. Gary Fong and David Ziser are jpg shooters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »

sunnyVan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
I agree it somewhat depends on your needs and skills at getting the right exposure. However, there are some circumstances where it really does make a big difference. Such as the shoot I'm doing tonight, which is an inside dance/burlesque performance which will undoubtedly have some poor to really bad lighting. So RAW lets me push the exposure a bit and fix the white balance which is undoubtedly screwed up because multiple lights with different gels on them, and use what I believe is superior LR4 noise reduction as opposed to camera NR. I'll try out the Nik Dfine2 that I go through the Google Nik Collection deal.

So, long way of saying, I pretty much always shoot full-sized RAW with long exposure NR (which does darkslide exposure to subtract noise), and otherwise low or no in camera NR. And then after I sort through what I'm keeping, I delete the rest generally to save on storage space.

There was a period of time when I made myself shoot JPEG only because I thought to myself an excellent photographer must be able to get composition, exposure, color balance, and everything else perfect on the spot. The I was introduced to what LR4 could do and I became a convert to RAW shooting.

The reason I asked about size is because large RAW is just too big for storage. I don't know if small is high enough for printing wedding photo sized canvas, which I think is the largest print size I would ever need.

I heard that LR DNG format is smaller than CR2. I never convert format when I import. And I don't know if I should.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm

I'm broke.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »

well look at his kid shots.. would you waste time on them?  :P
and for all his other shots it´s saturation all the way up and don´t care about the rest.

KR is a mediocre photographer at best.
all he does well, and that makes him kind of (in)famous, is polarizing opinions.

he even writes on his website that he makes things up.
or in other words he is lying about stuff. you take such a guy serious?

Quote from: Ken Rockwell
I enjoy making things up for fun, as does The Onion, and I publish them here — even on this page.

RAW gives you the best quality.. period.
why would you spend thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest gear only to diminish the returns by shooting JPG?

JPG make only sense when you need the images immediately.
journalism comes to my mind.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:42:40 PM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »