October 22, 2014, 06:02:36 AM

Author Topic: Please share your camera settings  (Read 6255 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: Please share your camera settings
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
Ken Rockwell claims that he doesn't need to shoot RAW and he said if you know what you are doing JPEG is fine. He also said the smallest size JPEG is good enough.

well look at his kid shots.. would you waste time on them?  :P
and for all his other shots it´s saturation all the way up and don´t care about the rest.

RAW gives you the best quality.. period.
why would you spend thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest gear only to diminish the returns by shooting JPG?

If you get a really good exposure, low constrat, no large adjustments - then JPG works well.  However if you need larger adjustments then RAW is the way to go.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »
If you get a really good exposure, low constrat, no large adjustments - then JPG works well.  However if you need larger adjustments then RAW is the way to go.

works well.. yes. but even when you nail it 100%... a RAW will look better.

and how many settle for well here?
the canon sensors do well... now look at the discussions here. ;)

there is so much talk about color rendition, DR, sharpness etc. and then shooting JPG... makes no sense if you ask me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:40:28 PM by Canon-F1 »

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
Ken Rockwell claims that he doesn't need to shoot RAW and he said if you know what you are doing JPEG is fine. He also said the smallest size JPEG is good enough.

well look at his kid shots.. would you waste time on them?  :P
and for all his other shots it´s saturation all the way up and don´t care about the rest.

KR is a mediocre photographer at best.
all he does well, and that makes him kind of (in)famous, is polarizing opinions.

he even wites on his website that he makes things up.
or in other words he is lying about stuff. you take such a guy serious?

Quote from: Ken Rockwell
I enjoy making things up for fun, as does The Onion, and I publish them here — even on this page.

RAW gives you the best quality.. period.
why would you spend thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest gear only to diminish the returns by shooting JPG?

JPG make only sense when you need the images immediately.
journalism comes to my mind.

I totally agree. KR is too opinionated and very subjective.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
L-raw, NR off, everything set @ 0.

PP through LR
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
I agree it somewhat depends on your needs and skills at getting the right exposure. However, there are some circumstances where it really does make a big difference. Such as the shoot I'm doing tonight, which is an inside dance/burlesque performance which will undoubtedly have some poor to really bad lighting. So RAW lets me push the exposure a bit and fix the white balance which is undoubtedly screwed up because multiple lights with different gels on them, and use what I believe is superior LR4 noise reduction as opposed to camera NR. I'll try out the Nik Dfine2 that I go through the Google Nik Collection deal.

So, long way of saying, I pretty much always shoot full-sized RAW with long exposure NR (which does darkslide exposure to subtract noise), and otherwise low or no in camera NR. And then after I sort through what I'm keeping, I delete the rest generally to save on storage space.

There was a period of time when I made myself shoot JPEG only because I thought to myself an excellent photographer must be able to get composition, exposure, color balance, and everything else perfect on the spot. The I was introduced to what LR4 could do and I became a convert to RAW shooting.

The reason I asked about size is because large RAW is just too big for storage. I don't know if small is high enough for printing wedding photo sized canvas, which I think is the largest print size I would ever need.

I heard that LR DNG format is smaller than CR2. I never convert format when I import. And I don't know if I should.

Hmm...well, I'd say it depends on the resolution of your S/M/Full RAW sizes. In general, S probably will give you most smaller print sizes. Take the resolution and divide by 300dpi to get how big a high quality print you can make.

Personally, the other use for full size RAW is if you find you need to crop to get framing/fix horizon/etc the extra resolution can be helpful. Then of course output at the size you need. You're right though, full sized RAW is very big, however my solution is to delete the ones that I decide are crap or aren't good enough to use. And then store them all on my ZFS NAS with CrashPlan backup.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

emko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
RAW will always look better and if you need JPG cant you just make them with DPP where it makes the same JPG picture as what the camera would?

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »
RAW in general, but sometimes I deliver some pictures to my childrens' school and then I normally just shoot jpg as I don't want to bother about editing. If I slightly need to adjust WB or exposure then the jpgs are enough for that need.

NR in LR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

madspihl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northbound
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »
On my one-slot bodies (7D and 6D) I shoot RAW and Jpeg Large, but honestly that's force of habit more than anything else since it's probably been a couple of years since I last used a jpeg file from the 7D, and I've never used jpegs from the 6D... I really should just change it to RAW-only on both, I guess...

On my 5D III I now shoot RAW + RAW, so both cards record the same files, simply as a card failure safety thing.

On the X-E1 I actually find myself using the jpegs from time to time so the dual file type recording is more handy there.

2 x 5DIII and various Canon and Sigma lenses + a small Fuji X lineup of stuff.

http://500px.com/northbound

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »
On my one-slot bodies (7D and 6D) I shoot RAW and Jpeg Large, but honestly that's force of habit more than anything else since it's probably been a couple of years since I last used a jpeg file from the 7D, and I've never used jpegs from the 6D... I really should just change it to RAW-only on both, I guess...

On my 5D III I now shoot RAW + RAW, so both cards record the same files, simply as a card failure safety thing.

On the X-E1 I actually find myself using the jpegs from time to time so the dual file type recording is more handy there.

So you own both Mk3 and 6D? I've never seen someone who has both. If you have Mk3, why would you want 6D? Just curious.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »
Raw... Set to standard or portrait, NR off.  I'll adjust through DPP alone most of the time.  If I need to "clean" the images, I use LR or PP (very seldom, mostly for portraits and some landscapes).

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »

So you own both Mk3 and 6D? I've never seen someone who has both. If you have Mk3, why would you want 6D? Just curious.

I think he use it as a backup or second camera.  Primes on 6D and Zooms on 5D3 when shooting a wedding.  :)

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
I have a 1Ds Mk ii, so probably not that relevant.  I use: -

RAW (which probably reduces the impact of the following)
Noise Reduction Off
Color Matrix 1 Standard
Tone Curve Standard
Sharpness 5
Contrast +1

But I make the occasional time lapse movie (the 1Ds cameras are great for this - built like a tank, you just leave them outside overnight and turn them off in the morning).  For this I use small or medium JPEG.  When I start shooting stills again, I often forget to change it back to RAW.  I'm often surprised by the quality of the smaller JPEGs.  Not as good as a RAW file, but still pretty good and fine for non-critical use. 

FWIW, I also have an Olympus EPL-1.  It makes great JPEGs in camera.  I can rarely better the JPEG file by a noticeable amount by shooting RAW.  Therefore, it lives in JPEG mode.  The only time I shoot RAW with it is if I intend to do a lot of post production work (in my case, shooting IR and doing color channel switches and fake colour).

Even though I'm in the RAW brainwashee camp, I'd say Ken's advice is fine for most people in most situations.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

madspihl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northbound
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »

I think he use it as a backup or second camera.  Primes on 6D and Zooms on 5D3 when shooting a wedding.  :)

I use the 6D as a backup (used to be a 5D II but I got the 6D mainly for low light capabilities because it's so dark up here much of the year). I live in a very remote Arctic environment and when we shoot stuff in the backcountry and something goes wrong with just one body you might as well just go home (which is often way more expensive than having a backup body, btw.).
2 x 5DIII and various Canon and Sigma lenses + a small Fuji X lineup of stuff.

http://500px.com/northbound

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 07:03:41 AM »
I shoot RAW or in some situations RAW + S3. The S3 files are used for sharing photographs immediately after a shoot.

IMHO shooting RAW has its numerous advantages which have already been highlighted above. From a personal standpoint, I'm still learning post processing in LR so maybe a couple of months, years I may be able to process my shots differently.

The technological advancements in post processing techniques would also come in handy and would possibly work best with RAW images.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »

I own the same combo of the 5D3 and 6D. My work takes me desert areas at least once a month where changing lenses is not a possibility. I use teles on the 5D3 and the WA on the 6D. 
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »