August 29, 2014, 04:08:24 PM

Author Topic: Please share your camera settings  (Read 5906 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: Please share your camera settings
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »
Ken Rockwell claims that he doesn't need to shoot RAW and he said if you know what you are doing JPEG is fine. He also said the smallest size JPEG is good enough.

well I think I know what I'm doing but I need RAW. Anyway, my real question is
1. what size of RAW and JPEG do you normally use?
2. do you use camera NR at all? or do you use LR?
3. what settings would you advise against and for?

Hi SunnyVan

The main setting I would advise against is looking up Ken Rockwell's site.

I can only vouch for my cameras, and the one's I have owned in the past, but I've always found a little luminance NR and a tiny bit of sharpening at the ACR stage make my images much more pleasing to me.

I have a 7D and 600D currently, and I'm delighted with the results from these cameras, with a little bit of raw work.

So, on the first count, I don't agree with KR.

On the second count... I kind of agree up to a point.  We don't really need more than 6MP for everyday shooting or online use.  But I, like everybody else, shoots at full MP.  It depends on the end destination.
And KR can't possibly know what that is for anybody else other than himself.

With cameras becoming so fast now, and decent high capacity fast memory so cheap, I struggle to think of reasons not to shoot at least RAW+jpeg.

I generally shoot RAW only. 

I have the incamera NR set up for long exposure only (+1s)

I don't bother with highlight priority modes etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
Thanks for all your input. It looks like nobody really uses the camera NR too much. Now I know I'm not alone.

I guess I'll use medium RAW as a compromise. I try to delete unwanted pics as much as possible. But still the storage space required is getting out of control. Perhaps I could skip JPEG altogether even though it helps little.

For people who use LR, do you import as DNG or leave as is?
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

yablonsky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »
I use high res RAW only. No NR. No DNG. Just CR2 files. Processed with Adobe Camera Raw. Actually no Photoshop modifications after all, except content aware fill if needed (but very scarcely).
5D2, 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L II, 70-200 4L IS,  300 4L IS

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
RAW only.  No in-camera NR (except long exposure NR as needed).

This is how I do it also.

You need to experiment with the settings and find what you like best.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »
I save as RAW and small, fine, JPG.

I heard the following definition ages ago: The difference between an amateur photographer and a professional is that the amateur KNOWS that they can get it right with just one shot..... and apparantly Mr. Rockwell knows he can get it right in just one shot.

" You don't need to shoot RAW if you know what you are doing"

JPG is the finished product. Anyone who thinks that they can always get everything right with the camera settings and produce the perfect final image straight from the camera every time has a huge ego and a fundamental lack of understanding of digital photography and of human nature. ( photography is part artform..... we will tweak pictures to what our idea of the final image is, and there is a LOT of individual variation/preference) I would not take anyone seriously who would make such a statement.

That must be why Raw is only offered in low-end point/shoot cameras and not availiable in any of the DSLR's or pro cameras.... NOT!

What you have is an egomaniac shouting out how good they are and that anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know what they are doing.... My advice is to smile and nod, and ignore him.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:34:28 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

Think of the data flow. ( obviously simplified, but you get the idea....)

in-camera JPG
Step 1: Data is read from the sensor.
Step 2: Data is processed, manipulated by fast algorithm with set parameters, and compressed in a lossy form.
Step 3: Lossy image is saved, raw data discarded.

in-camera RAW
Step 1: Data is read from the sensor.
Step 2:  Data is processed, manipulated by trivial algorithm with set parameters, and a lossy thumbnail image is created.
Step 3: Raw data is stored in a lossless format plus embedded thumbnail.

at-home JPG:
Step 1: RAW data is read.
Step 2: Complex algorithm requiring far more computing power than camera can provide, is used to create JPG image.
Step 3: User examines JPG image, and adjusts settings to suit.
Step 4: keep repeating until you have optimized image.
Step 5: Save JPG as you prefer.

And note that as you are going through all the adjustment cycles you may decide to dump out a version of that JPG colour balanced with your printer profile, and another one colour balanced to your monitor profile. As far as I know, NOBODY makes a DSLR that allows you to enter in IO colour profiles ...... and certainly not multiple profiles on the same JPG.

I would have corrected the statement to be "you NEED to be able to shoot RAW if you know what you are doing".
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:35:40 PM by Don Haines »

aroo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »
Sometimes I run out of disk space. Even having a ton of hard drives, shooting RAW doesn't always make sense. If I'm going to print something, then always RAW. Otherwise, M JPG has worked well in many situations (candids, landscape).

I think M RAW is actually a pretty good compromise, and you're getting noise reduced via interpolation.

Sometimes, I make so many photographs and can get so sidetracked by manual RAW conversion that shooting JPG speeds up my ability to catalog and review everything.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »
Sometimes I run out of disk space. Even having a ton of hard drives, shooting RAW doesn't always make sense. If I'm going to print something, then always RAW. Otherwise, M JPG has worked well in many situations (candids, landscape).

I think M RAW is actually a pretty good compromise, and you're getting noise reduced via interpolation.

Sometimes, I make so many photographs and can get so sidetracked by manual RAW conversion that shooting JPG speeds up my ability to catalog and review everything.

Actually, you can get that noise reduction via interpolation from the full raw, just export as a smaller JPG.

Definitely takes a lot more space, and takes longer to sort through at times because of waiting for LR4 to prepare the preview images on import, even the standard previews. But, for me, that's why I built a 8TB RAIDZ NAS where I keep everything and backup to CrashPlan from that.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
Sort of to prove a point.....

The camera is set to save JPG and RAW..... I am in the house taking pictures of Fluffy the cat.... I see a flash of movement outside and snap this picture. No time to adjust any settings other than a quick twist of a thumbwheel...

The picture is of a horribly backlit Kestrel with a Redpoll snack, through a dirty patio window, and just about every imaginable setting on the camera wrong for the shot. On the left is the JPG created from the RAW file, on the right is the camera's JPG.

Sometimes there is just no time to do things right. RAW lets you claw back a lot of mistakes.

harryg

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
5D, 50D, 1D4, 1D-X

Shoot RAW exclusively, AWB both Single Shot and AI-SERVO. Process first in DPP, then send to Photoshop for fine work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »