October 22, 2014, 09:59:05 PM

Author Topic: i need a new tripod, any recommendations? please help.  (Read 11963 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: i need a new tripod, any recommendations? please help.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
It does depend a lot on your budget.  There are a few older tripods that are very good, and can be had cheaply.  Many of the old Bogen / Manfroto Tripods are build like a tank.  They are aluminum and a bit heavy, but they will last long after you have upgraded.
Check your local craigslist, and don't be afraid to make a offer, I've bought some legs with a ball head for $25.
Vangard, Slik and Dolcia make decent low cost tripods, far better than what you have, they won't fall apart, and if you hang a weight by a hook under them, they will stabilize nicely.

I have a Benro C4XX series, but even though its relatively low cost, its still over $400 for the legs, and for a good head, $500 more. 

Watch out for the tripod height.  You should not plan on cranking or raising the center column, and many tripods spec their height with the center post up.  They are unstable that way.  You should not have to bend over to use a tripod!  Better to spend more and get one with longer legs.
Here is a example of a 62 inch tripod that is 51 inches high with the center column down  Not useful unless you are pretty short.:  http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365825559&sr=8-3&keywords=tripod

The  taller model is more expensive, but it has a column down height of closer to 62 inches (including head) which makes it fine for average height people.  http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX680P104-68-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001DIKUYE/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1365826538&sr=1-4&keywords=tripod

The manfroto 055PROB is 56 inches high with column down, a head and camera can add another 8 inches, so its high enough for all but really tall people (like my 6'8 son).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »

LSV

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 12:31:15 AM »
It has been quite a few years since I was a teen, but, if memory serves me right, I used to pinch pennies so hard it made Honest Abe cry. So, my recommendation is to get a cheap and sturdy tripod/ballhead combo from Costco for under $100.  And, nothing beats Costco's return policy.

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 01:33:29 AM »
I have the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head. It is an Ok tripod my biggest problem is the ball head. I have trouble getting it where it want it sometimes. I makes it a lot trickier to get level shots. But for the price and what you got. It is a good tripod. I have 2 other tripods. I found an old heavy tripod I like the best but it is heavy and you can't buy them anymore.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
It has been quite a few years since I was a teen, but, if memory serves me right, I used to pinch pennies so hard it made Honest Abe cry. So, my recommendation is to get a cheap and sturdy tripod/ballhead combo from Costco for under $100.  And, nothing beats Costco's return policy.

I love Costco two... I've been a member since 2003... but unless his parents have a membership, adding $60 to the price of the tripod doesn't seem like a good investment... though they will refund the membership fee if he isn't fully satisfied...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Tara Copp

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
I love my Benro AO190T... I have two, very compact and portable, I packed both in a roller bag for a destination wedding this weekend .. They are about 100 each

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
If you can afford it, get a Carbon Fiber one. I have a Feisol but there are other good brands more affordable than the top brands. You can get a really nice CF one with a head for about $300.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »

mdmphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
http://www.trustedreviews.com/manfrotto-mkc3-h01-tripod_Camera-Accessory_review_features-and-design_Page-2

Highly recommend one of these for budget tripods, it only cost me $60 aud and I used it for ages. It held up my rebel with 17-55 and also my 5d mkii with 17-40. Not to mention its super light and quite compact, carried it everywhere on my camera bag.
But do be wary of using the center column ;) know its limitations and work around it, as that's what you'll have to do when saving some $$.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
http://www.trustedreviews.com/manfrotto-mkc3-h01-tripod_Camera-Accessory_review_features-and-design_Page-2

Highly recommend one of these for budget tripods, it only cost me $60 aud and I used it for ages. It held up my rebel with 17-55 and also my 5d mkii with 17-40. Not to mention its super light and quite compact, carried it everywhere on my camera bag.
But do be wary of using the center column ;) know its limitations and work around it, as that's what you'll have to do when saving some $$.

Yup, a friend has this and it's a great little tripod for the money. 

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
JUST BUY A GITZO AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT...THEY ARE THE BEST, PERIOD!

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »

Unless you despise twist leg locks, try working them with wet and sweaty hands. I will not buy a tripod with twist lock legs, others feel the same about lever leg locks, don't assume your ideal is anybody elses.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
hello! i currently use a canon t3i & a 50mm f/.4 two weeks ago i was taking some self portraits using my wired remote when my tripod (which had already been broken before, but i continued to use it like an idiot) collapsed. i was wondering if you have any recommendations for a new one? i don't want anything expensive, i'm a teen on a budget after all. ;)
thank you!

How about some duct tape to fix your current tripod.  Seriously you can get a reasonable tripod, but it will cost a few hundred dollars.  Gitzo are top of the line - forget them.  Besides a tripod, you will need a ball head to allow you to move the camera and lens combo.  I would recommend avoid 3 handle tripod heads.  very slow to adjust.  You camera / lens wil attach to the ball head with a quick release plate (Arca Swiss style is defacto standard).  Suggest you  learn all you can by reading Really Right Stuff website.   They products are out of your price range (from what you said about need to control costs) but the education is free and generally accurate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
I would suggest a Leitz Tiltall - now manufactured by someone else but still available.  It's a classic and rugged design.  Mine has served me well for over 50 years and I've never been tempted to replace it with some of the
"newer" models.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »

Bad advise for someone on a budget, and overkill for someone with that camera.  And twist lock legs do suck.  Mayb step up to a manfrotto 190 if you can swing it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »