July 30, 2014, 11:51:30 AM

Author Topic: What made you choose Canon in the first place?  (Read 7415 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: What made you choose Canon in the first place?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
My first DSLR was a Sony Alpha 300. When I was considering an upgrade, I had a chance meeting with the local camera retailer who had a large number of 7Ds dumped on to him by the distributor. He talked me into buying one and I've been with Canon ever since  :)

I've shot with Nikon cameras recently and I found the user interface to not be as good as the Canon - maybe I'm so used to Canon now that to shooting with Nikon would be similar to learn writing with my left hand - not an option unless I really have to.

Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »

lholmes549

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 07:49:47 AM »
When I first looked into buying my first DSLR I had a look at many reviews and decided that Canon fulfilled my needs within the price range I was looking at better than Nikon. Also, a few of my friends had Nikons and they never felt good in my hands, the menu system wasn't easy to use (or to look at) and the lens choices weren't as good. So I tried out the 550D and it felt a lot better in my hand, the menu system was brilliantly easy and the whole system just seemed to suit me more; I wasn't pixel peeping when I was comparing the two.
Now, I do a lot more research before I buy my next DSLR but I think that I will stay Canon unless Nikon come up with something that will make a real difference to my photography because I have too much invested in Canon glass and feel like I know the system inside out which is a must.
Cameras get "better" with every year that goes by but instead of focusing on what gear you have you'd be better investing time into progressing your photographic eye. I'm not a professional so I don't NEED the most dynamic range, highest pixel density, or sharpest fastest glass because a lot can be done with pretty basic equipment nowadays, it just takes skill. Professionals need equipment they can rely on every time but for me it's a learning curve.
6D, FTb, EOS 500  | 14mm f/2.8,  24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.8

CanadianInvestor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
Started off with a Nikkormat in 1976.  Great camera.  Had it stolen from the boot/trunk of my car 20 years later.  A few weeks after that I went on business to Canon's European HQ outside Amsterdam and while waiting for my host, saw a photograph of sports photographers all of whom appeared to be shooting a crucial shot at a FIFA World Cup match. It was a side shot and all I could see was a sea of about 30 white lenses pointing in one direction. The photo took up a whole wall. If people who earned a living depended on this company's equipment, my reasoning went, it was good enough for me, and at the first opportunity after that, I bought a Canon camera and have had no regrets. 

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »
I don't like to be asked to lend lenses. That's another reason.  ;)

I agree on this, I'm kinda anal about my equipment so don't like to lend out lenses - also to avoid getting into uncomfortable situations if there is a (minor) issue with a lens after it's returned. My best photographing friend shoots Nikon, so no issue there! :D

My first SLR was an old Canon EOS 50e that I got for free during a company internship; it was a company camera but it (and several others) had been sitting on the shelf since they had been using digital camera's instead for several years already. It came with a Metz flash and a kit lens. A nice gift and I was lucky to be there when they were cleaning out the old stuff.

I checked out Nikon when I decided to go digital but Canon appealed to me a little more, especially because I already had some experience with the system and the 'cleaner' design of its controls. Of course I had the Canon compatible Metz flash to boot.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:45:31 AM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 09:24:35 AM »
Used to shoot 4/3 Olympus...... And they abandoned the format for micro 4/3. Looked at Nikon and canon,greatly preferred the canon user interface on the above-rebel cameras and the selection of glass, and never regretted it.

And the 70-200..... It's worth going canon just to use that lens!
The best camera is the one in your hands

kaswindell

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
My first SLR was a Canon TX (basically a stripped down FTb) in the late '70s... I have had a number of Canons since and while I looked at Nikon when it was time to go digital I decided that Canon had the better controls, so switched from FD to EOS.

jeff92k7

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
I started out with a Canon Vixia camcorder when I needed a good video camera for a decent price.  The Canon got consistently higher reviews over the competing models in the same price range.  A couple of years later, I wanted another video camera so I could use multiple cameras on projects.   With an increased budget, I reviewed the available options.  Again, the Canon cameras came out on top because of the video capabilities of the Canon DSLR's.  I purchased a T2i and a few lenses, installed magic lantern, and have never regretted it.

Now I spend more time doing still photos than I do with video, and still find Canon cameras (and glass) to be well worth the cost.
550d/T2i, EFS 18-55 IS II, EFS 55-250 IS, EF 50 f1.8, EFS 17-55 f2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »
I bought my first DSLR in 2005, and was choosing between a 20D and a Nikon D70. At that time, Canon's CMOS sensor tech was superior to Nikon's CCD tech, especially in low-light shooting. It was impressive that the 20D gave a "clean" ISO 400 and a "usable" ISO 800, as I recall.

There were other things I liked better about the 20D and the Canon system (AF, base ISO of 100, 8mp vs. 6mp), but a camera dealer in Wichita, KS, said he had more Nikons come in for repair than Canons. That sort of helped seal the deal at the time.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
Used to shoot 4/3 Olympus...... And they abandoned the format for micro 4/3. Looked at Nikon and canon,greatly preferred the canon user interface on the above-rebel cameras and the selection of glass, and never regretted it.

And the 70-200..... It's worth going canon just to use that lens!

You're probably right. The 70-200 is excellent, although I don't know if Nikon has something similar. (I don't know Nikon too well). The only downside about the white lens is that it's a bit intimidating to other people. It's hard to be discreet.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

jm977

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Quite a few reasons.  From the days of film, my personal perception was that the Canon lenses were better.  Now it's a fuzzy area but in any case, the Canon lenses are very good.  The transition to digital was another reason in that to my eyes, the Canon output was more pleasing.  And Nikon camera are all "backward".  My brain can't get around the ergonomics of their bodies and the Canons just make more sense to me.  I hear the Nikons are easier to use regarding their flash system but I've grown accustomed to my gear and I have amassed far too much to make a switch feasible.  As a side note, a local college has photography courses and dictate the use of Nikons.  Personally, I find that distasteful and don't see how they can get away with that as many students enroll only to find out their Canon gear needs to be sold to fund Nikons.  On the upside, there is always a plentiful supply of very unused, used Canon gear for sale every fall. 

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 10:52:55 AM »
Quite a few reasons.  From the days of film, my personal perception was that the Canon lenses were better.  Now it's a fuzzy area but in any case, the Canon lenses are very good.  The transition to digital was another reason in that to my eyes, the Canon output was more pleasing.  And Nikon camera are all "backward".  My brain can't get around the ergonomics of their bodies and the Canons just make more sense to me.  I hear the Nikons are easier to use regarding their flash system but I've grown accustomed to my gear and I have amassed far too much to make a switch feasible.  As a side note, a local college has photography courses and dictate the use of Nikons.  Personally, I find that distasteful and don't see how they can get away with that as many students enroll only to find out their Canon gear needs to be sold to fund Nikons.  On the upside, there is always a plentiful supply of very unused, used Canon gear for sale every fall.

Wow really? That's really distasteful. I'm not surprised if there's some kind of under the table deal...
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
Ah nostalgia  :)
I couldn't quite afford the 10D at the time, then Canon came out with the first DSLR with a kit lens for under $1000, the original Digital Rebel. I jumped in and haven't looked back since.
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
quite simple ... EOS350D ... there was no comparable product avaliable back then at that pricepoint.
later I stayed with Canon, beacuse
1. i was familiar with the user interface + ergonomics
2. Nikon never got around producing a 17-55 with IS (or VR).

First day the 7D became availbale I got it an will hold on to it, until I finally get a compact, but very hi-end mirrorless system camera with FF-sensor. My preference would be a Canon FF mirrorless with D800 sensor, AF-performance like 1D-X and body size like SOny RX-1 ... :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
I had a Kodak Z730 and decided I wanted a better camera to take photos of my hobby and A canon SX20IS seemed to fit the need and pocketbook.

I later decided I wanted something that gave even better quality and got a T3i with both kit lenses.  I then purchased a 7D because I had always lusted after its abilities and considered it to be in my price range.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

aroo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
My first digital camera was/is a Powershot S50. Love it. One day it started putting terrible pink and white lines all over the image. Canon fixed the whole thing, at least 3 or 4 years old, no charge.

So at the same time I wanted to get a DSLR and the Xsi was just about to be replaced (which I didn't realize at the time), and I got a great deal on a bunch of starter lenses and the body. Love that camera. I bought it because of the great service on the previous one. Autofocus failed after 2 years, I had to pay almost what the body sells for used to get it fixed. Not as impressed this time, but hey, it works great now and gets heavy use. Also got an Elan 35mm on CL for $10.

Started teaching in an art department that needed new gear so I got Canons for the school since I know how to use and teach that system. Love having all the cameras share lenses and students can check out what they need for their purpose.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »