July 30, 2014, 07:18:08 PM

Author Topic: What made you choose Canon in the first place?  (Read 7418 times)

Jens_T

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: What made you choose Canon in the first place?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
I bought my first DSLR back in 2007 - after having shot with a Minolta X300 many years before.
The choice was between the Canon 40D and Nikon D200. The two decisive points were that the D200 was a tad to expensive for my budget and I liked the feel / grip of the 40D better.
My 40D is still in use and only recently I added a used 5D2. ( I guess I have would have been able to afford a D200 I would shoot a D800 now :) )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »

overniven

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »

My first camera was a film Rebel 2000 back in 1999 or so.  After spending a couple of years with it, I bought a Sony digital camera.  After spending several disappointing years with it I went back to canon and purchased a Rebel T1i. Several lens purchases later, I'm still using it, but am now shopping for a replacement.  I'm not so deep in that I couldn't switch to Nikon, but I've had a good experience with this camera so sometime this year, I'll upgrade to a nicer body.  I'd like to go FF, but I'm not sure I can afford the glass needed to make it shine.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
Can on ??
Nik on  ??

I think Can on sounds nicer than Nik on

Ok, joking, Lenses, just about the Lenses, I've been a Nik on shooter a long time back, switched to Can on with the Ae1, tried the more recent Nik on D800 (For Underwater, to replace my 5DMK2) wasn't happy with it, too much Hype (Which I was believing) not enough substance, good Camera but not good enough to stay with, sold it & put one of my 5DMK3 into a Seacam Housing, now with the news the 200-400f/4 (1.4x) is actually going to be available later this year, I'm a Can on shooter for life Baby.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
I'm not sure...  I used to shoot with a Nikon FM2 back in the film days and loved it.  I eventually sold it and didn't do much photography until my interest was rekindled 3-4 years ago.  I had decided to buy a DSLR for the IQ, FPS and optical viewfinder but was undecided between Nikon and Canon.  I'd read enough to know that those two manufacturers had the broadest line of cameras and lenses, so I narrowed it down to the two big dogs.

I read several reviews and was still undecided between the Canon T2i and whatever the competing Nikon body was back in 2010.  I decided on the T2i (550D) after handling both it and the Nikon at a Best Buy store liking the feel and layout of controls better on the Canon.  Now, I have roughly $9k invested in Canon cameras and lenses, so I'm probably a Canonista for life.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:56:09 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Rick

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
In 2003, when I decided to buy a DSLR, I also decided it was going to be FF - eventually. Canon had the only FF DSLR but it was expensive. Rumor in the fall of 2003 on DPR was that it wouldn't be long before an affordable FF appeared. Whether anyone repeating that gossip back in those days actually knew what they were talking about was debatable but I acted on it as though it was gospel. I bought a Rebel as an interim camera and two years later baam!! the 5D was released. Something else influenced my decision too. Nikon and their customers swore by crop and I had no way of knowing at that time it was just swagger and smack mostly. But, bottom line, I didn't want to invest in a brand that was "never" going to employ FF sensors.

That was 2003. Today, I use Canon and Nikon. If Sony ever makes another FF DSLR with 30+ MPs, I'd love to own the CZ 24-70. If Leica ever figures out that selling cameras cheap so that they can sell their lenses is the truly smart move, I'll buy an Mxx (assuming their manufacturing can keep up with the demand). The point being that I am not married to a brand. I bought Nikon as soon as they released a FF camera that was not a duplicate of any Canon cameras I already owned and purchased Nikkor lenses that outpreform what Canon has or that Canon doesn't have at all.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:25:36 PM by Rick »
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »
IMHO, I think that Canon is better with skin tones.  Also, low ISO performance of the 5DM3 put me squarely in their camp.

Canon glass is better for the dollar, bodies feel better in the hand, ergonomics are outstanding, and therefore even with all my heavy glass it all seems easier to carry and use.

I've always been impressed with Canon's attention to IQ, Processors and ISO.  I don't need Mega Mega-Pixels for what I do (Weddings, Events).
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

UrbanImages

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »
I learned how to shoot on my dads AE-1 when I was a teenager. When I decided to get my own it was the Rebel G,(which I still use). I was a skeptical adapter to digital, I made the plunge in 05 and bought the silver Rebel. I was hooked!! After that I upgraded to the 40D in 08 and have since purchased 2-5D II's, 5D III and 7D.. I shoot professionally, and have what I truly believe is superior glass in Canon lenses. My partner shoots Nikon, I don't find it to be very user friendly in both operations and ergonomics. When we have big shoots, she always makes me do it with my Canon's :-)
5D III, 5D IIx2.... 24-70L, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 35-350L, 17-40L, 28-135, 50-1.4, 85-1.8, 40-2.8, 100-2.8 Macro, Sigma 15 Fisheye... 600 EX, 580 EX IIx3, 430 EX II and a bunch of other toys...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »

azog

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »
First off, the support. I was travelling through Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines) a few years ago with my Nikon. I started having problems with my shutter closing halfway through an exposure and tried everything I could think of. So I tried finding someone who could look at it in Thailand, no luck since Canon was the dominant brand there. Got to The Philippines and Canon was everywhere there as well but noone would have a look at my Nikon :( Finally caved and bought a 5d2 and literally gave my old camera away. Haven't looked back since.

Second, I like the skin tones sooooo much more on my 5d2 than the comparable D700, D800. People just look more alive and vivid rather than pale and sickly on the Nikons. Sure you can tinker in post, but I prefer not to do too much work in post anyway.

Third, is Magic Lantern. There is no equivalent on the Nikon side of things and since I shoot a lot of video while travelling, it really comes in handy and I can't imagine not being able to use it anymore.

Finally, there really isn't a better all around camera than the 5d3 in my opinion. I am upgrading to it in the near future and if I had gone Nikon, I would be stuck with either a D800 or D600. Since downgrading is out of the question, I wouldn't touch the D600. The D800 also feels slow, sluggish, and I don't like having to upgrade my computer to handle the file sizes in LR.

Although there are some things on the Nikon side such as better dynamic range, the creative lighting systems, better ergonomics (subjective), and a slightly better shutter sound (really subjective) that I want, I am happy with my Canon.

rizenphoenix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
I recently upgraded to full frame and during this time I considered both the 6D and the Nikon D600. Before making the purchase I dropped my two most used lenses, rendering both unusable. This left me with only a nifty 50 - thus freeing me from any real concern for having to switch makers. I tried both several times and as much as i wanted to like the D600 due to it's superior spec list I just couldn't. The 6D had much better color rendition. The button layout and the way the camera's fit my hand also were vastly better on the 6D. The final factor was despite the lackluster spec list the 6D kept up with or exceeded the D600(especially in low light situations) in real world performance.
6D, 550D, EOS 3, 24-105L, 50 1.8 mk I, Tamron 70-200 & a bunch of strobist stuff.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 01:08:44 AM »
Back in the 1960's, it was a choice between Canon Nikon, Pentax, and Minolta.  I could not afford a Nikon F, and Pentax was also expensive, so I bought a new FTQL.  Since then I've had almost every brand of film camera and most of the digital ones as well.
Now that I have $$$$$ invested in lenses, I'm not likely to change.
I will buy whatever brand of P&S I fancy though. 

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 03:32:51 AM »
My first (D)SLR was the 400D, I chose Canon over Nikon, because I liked the colors out-of-cam better...

However, nowadays, I'd go for the D5200...

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:06 AM »
1100D was just the cheapest DSLR option i could find

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »
They used to be the only game in town about a decade ago when it was strange to shoot anything else, so I did pick them. Thankfully for everybody, the days when it was canon or nothing are long gone. Choice is awesome and I went from 5DI/II/III-> D800. Mirrorless, I'm set on m4/3 at this point. Video, Sony easily trumps anything canon, although I'm more interested in the small low cost players like blackmagic, specially their m4/3 offerings.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:25:21 AM by psolberg »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:04 AM »
I ended up going canon for few different reasons.

First and foremost is i prefer the way it felt in my hand compared to the Nikons. Just felt more natural.

Then there was the video option that other brands didn't have at the time.

Lastly it was the fact that i started shooting Canons back the film days, moved to Pentax then when digital came around went back to Canon. So i guess a bit of brand loyalty there as well.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

gigabellone

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • GIGAphoto
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
I bought my first dslr 2 years ago. I went to the shop to buy the Nikon D3100, and out of curiosity tried handling a Canon 550D. It was love at first sight.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »