September 18, 2014, 04:03:37 PM

Author Topic: Advice on 3rd party grip for 5D3 and compatible L Bracket  (Read 1545 times)

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Advice on 3rd party grip for 5D3 and compatible L Bracket
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
Looking for a good 3rd party grip for the 5D3 that's close to Canon's offering in terms of build and handling.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:39:31 PM by killswitch »

canon rumors FORUM

Advice on 3rd party grip for 5D3 and compatible L Bracket
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on 3rd party grip for 5D3
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »
A grip is available from Vello and it works fine. But do you plan to use it with an L bracket? Third party grips are not compatible with L brackets so this killed the deal for me.
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on 3rd party grip for 5D3
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »
The issue I have with grips is strength.  If it is flexible, this means its going to be a issue if mounted on a tripod.  At least the Canon grip is now metal, so they have tried to address this.  All the third party ones are plastic, at least, the ones I'm aware of.
If you only plan to hand hold it, then the only remaining issue is the lockups that several users have reported.

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on 3rd party grip for 5D3 and compatible L Bracket
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:39:05 PM »
A grip is available from Vello and it works fine. But do you plan to use it with an L bracket? Third party grips are not compatible with L brackets so this killed the deal for me.

J.R, yeah I intend to use it with an L bracket, so bummer..now that you mention it I should update the title of this thread to include the L bracket.

The issue I have with grips is strength.  If it is flexible, this means its going to be a issue if mounted on a tripod.  At least the Canon grip is now metal, so they have tried to address this.  All the third party ones are plastic, at least, the ones I'm aware of.
If you only plan to hand hold it, then the only remaining issue is the lockups that several users have reported.

Yeah, I read some lock up issues with some of the 3rd party grips. I remember someone posted a review of Meike grip sometime ago. I wonder how that is. Also, is the one from Canon the only one with metal frame?

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
I ordered a Meike and got bait and switched from an Amazon third party seller.  They sent me some flimsy "Xit" brand.  It felt very cheap compared to the Meike grip I have on my T3i.  Amazon made good on the refund.

The Meike grip on my T3i has been solid for over a year, but the rubber grip material is starting to pulling away from the plastic.  Because of that, I figured I would go with the Canon BG-E11 for the 5Dmk3.  I have been very pleased with it.

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
Pixel Vertax
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »

J.R, yeah I intend to use it with an L bracket, so bummer..now that you mention it I should update the title of this thread to include the L bracket.

Yeah, I read some lock up issues with some of the 3rd party grips. I remember someone posted a review of Meike grip sometime ago. I wonder how that is. Also, is the one from Canon the only one with metal frame?
After my experience with even Canon Grips flexing with a 70-200mm f/2.8, I've just lept away from them.  Having your camera mounted to a heavy tripod with a expensive head and then have a spring between them was very frustrating.  I'd be interested in hearing how stable it is and if it droops with the new Canon Grip.  I'm also wondering if they inproved the attach mechanism where many users have had stripped threads.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »

After my experience with even Canon Grips flexing with a 70-200mm f/2.8, I've just lept away from them.  Having your camera mounted to a heavy tripod with a expensive head and then have a spring between them was very frustrating.  I'd be interested in hearing how stable it is and if it droops with the new Canon Grip.  I'm also wondering if they inproved the attach mechanism where many users have had stripped threads.

The Canon grip doesn't flex all that much - though it is felt when attaching a heavy lens. But then whenever  I use heavy lenses and the grip together, I mounting the setup using the tripod collar on the lens instead of the camera so flex really isn't an issue (for me at least).
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I have more photo gear than I need. The blame lies squarely with Canonrumors

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »

The Canon grip doesn't flex all that much - though it is felt when attaching a heavy lens. But then whenever  I use heavy lenses and the grip together, I mounting the setup using the tripod collar on the lens instead of the camera so flex really isn't an issue (for me at least).

I always mount a lens with a collar via that collar.  However, there was still flex with the grip, on both the 7D and 5DII - even with 'small' lenses. There's a reason FoCal recommends removing the grip before testing - there is flex there, and that flex can introduce vibration. 

No flex for me now, with the integrated grip.  :)

As for an L-bracket, really the only two viable options are RRS and Kirk, and for the 5DIII there's not a significant difference from what I can tell (although the RRS L-bracket for the 1D X is awesome - converts from L to just base plate, hex key stored right in the plate).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
I actually prefer the way the 5DIII feels in the hand with the RSS L bracket. The bracket and grip might as well be permanently attached as far as I'm concerned.

b&

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
when the 70-300 L was released it was very hard to find the tripod ring.  there were numerous third party solution and I looked a few.  What I found was junk - yea it saved me $ but in the end it did not securely hold the lens.

While I have not looked at 3rd grips for the 5DM3, I suspect the similar findings.  $ vs quality. Tight fit, metal, ... vs price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »