October 24, 2014, 07:32:26 PM

Author Topic: 5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed  (Read 13583 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »
I took a few photos using a old cf card, protected two of them and erased the others.  There was no problem, I tried this several times and everything worked.

Since it happened twice, I'd suspect the camera has either a hardware or firmware issue.  It might even be a bent pin in the camera that causes the issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »
I took a few photos using a old cf card, protected two of them and erased the others.  There was no problem, I tried this several times and everything worked.

Since it happened twice, I'd suspect the camera has either a hardware or firmware issue.  It might even be a bent pin in the camera that causes the issue.
I had a similar thought but I had found it scary and disappointing (for the 5DMkIII) at the same time! This is not the first time I read 5DMkIII involved in bent pins  :o
My 5DMkIII is fine but I am very careful when I have to insert a CF. I didn't use to be afraid and pay extra attention with my 40D and 5DMkII (and I removed CF cards a lot).

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
I want a 5dmkiii and this wont' stop me, but i'm pretty sure what I'm going to do is just transfer my photos via usb cable.  First of all, I don't have a CF card slot in my computer, 2nd, bent pins have scared me since I heard it ruined a canon xti or something old school like that. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 12:18:03 AM »

I had a similar thought but I had found it scary and disappointing (for the 5DMkIII) at the same time! This is not the first time I read 5DMkIII involved in bent pins  :o

It hasn't been determined that a bent pin is involved, its just one of the things to check.  Actually, its very unlikely.

Hugo Fisher

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Honza Jezdik | Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 02:18:22 AM »
I am using 5D3 every day with 32gb Sandisk Extreme - via card reader. I have my 5D3 for one year just now. I had never have a problem with putting a card in and out. It is just about to do it carefully. It seems like "hoax" for me to read about some bent pins.
Canon 5D mk III + 1100D | 17-40/4L | 24-70/2.8L | Sigma 35/1,4 Art | 50/1,4 | 85/1,8 | 70-200/2,8L IS II | 580 EX II |  | Wedding and studio photography | www.honzajezdik.cz | www.facebook.com/jezdik.photo

synthetiq

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:05 AM »

Discussion getting off topic.

The fact that you are able to repeat the error and someone else is not points to a problem with your setup (camera, firmware, ?). 

Suggest calling Canon support and at the same time RMA to Sandisk.

And apparently wrapping your camera in a tin-foil hat to protect from cosmic rays.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
I noticed one of my Sandisk CF cards was acting funny. Then I looked at it closely today and realized it looked a bit different to my other three. I am convinced it is actually a fake. My Lexar card reader doesn't recognize it and my laptop showed me the blue screen of death moments after. I also recall an error on my 7D but just removed the battery and it was fine. Now I realize it was prob that same card. What the heck should I do with it? Throw it away? I have contacted the seller (Amazon marketplace) since I bought it last month maybe they might offer something? Prob not. Kinda annoyed with myself, I'm usually more careful.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »
Hmm, I have recently had a similar issue with a Lexar card with my 7D. Two brand new cards used for only a short time and then bzzzt, gone, nothing. I sent the first one back to Lexar and they replaced it and then about 2 months of use the second card also crapped out. I am running the newest firmware V2.03 on my 7. I baby my camera and my equipment, I have no idea why 2 cards have taken a dump, I have never in all of my years of using compactflash (both Sandisk and Lexar) I have never had a problem. I bought my first card from Adorama and the second card came direct from Lexar... Hmmm, I am really confused...

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »
It does not sound plausible to me that a camera can break a card by reading or deleting it, that it might happen because the card was faulty, and you just happened to be writing or erasing something at that moment, that could be... But the camera toasting the card... Don't thing so unless there is a huge design fault on the camera and probably most of use would have the same problem and a huge class action against Canon would be in order by now.... There are no moving parts like in HDDs so it is harder to break, but for sure there are parts that can go wrong, I had a Sandisk Pro Extreme going bad, totally dead, but just sent it back to Sandisk, had it replaced in about 10 days, but would never blame the camera for it, of course it is going to break while you using it :-)

Hope you get it replaced. Good luck!
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

vanermi

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum. I bought my 5D Mark III back in May of 2013 and have been using it with only Compact Flash cards until recently I have been using and writing to both card slots due to a similar case. I shoot on average 300 pictures a day 6 days a week plus shoot video 3 days a week. I have not had a single problem until recently when I purchased two brand new Transcend 1000x Compact flash 32GB cards from BH Photo. I was in the middle of shooting a video and was turning the camera on and off between clips to save battery when all of a sudden the message came up saying card was not recognizable. I went through the same steps and could not format the card in the camera or on the computer essentially rendering the card garbage. Anyways I switched to my other new card (both of which had already been used quite a bit already with no issue). Within a few shots it too crashed and was not recognizable however this one I was able to format later and recover files. I finally put one of my older cards in and finished the shoot fine.

I got home and discovered there was a firmware update and I did that and started shooting by writing to two cards even though video only records to one and have been shooting this way now for about 3 weeks. Today I arrived at a shoot, put my memory cards back in the camera, turned it on and noticed the red light was solid and the screen was not coming on, then all of a sudden it came up with that message again "card 1 not recognizable by the camera" and poof it's ruined again, this time an older Transcend 400x 32GB card. I put another 64GB card in and it worked fine for the entire shoot.

I am at a loss to what's happening. Canon originally told me it was the cards but now the fact it's done it again and I'm out another $80 card has me pointing directly at the camera as being the problem.

Hopefully someone can help a brother out.

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
i have heard of transcend cards failing alot. i would steer way clear of that brand.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

vanermi

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
Thanks for the advise but I have been using them for years and have NEVER ever had one fail this way. The fact that two in a row failed $150 each card, then to have one of my older cards that I've used for years fail a couple weeks later does not point to them being Transcend, but rather the camera in my opinion.

i have heard of transcend cards failing alot. i would steer way clear of that brand.

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »
I too experienced problems with my camera and accessories after having installed the firmware. My SterlingTek batteries wouldn't work in the camera and even my unused came-with-the-camera Canon battery wouldn't work properly, so I went out and bought two new Canon batteries that work fine. A lot of other people have also reported weird quirks and problems with accessories after having installed the latest firmware, so some electrical changes may have occurred as a result of installing it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »

vanermi

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
I too experienced problems with my camera and accessories after having installed the firmware. My SterlingTek batteries wouldn't work in the camera and even my unused came-with-the-camera Canon battery wouldn't work properly, so I went out and bought two new Canon batteries that work fine. A lot of other people have also reported weird quirks and problems with accessories after having installed the latest firmware, so some electrical changes may have occurred as a result of installing it.

It's actually got nothing to do with the firmware update. This problem was happening before the update and now after the update.

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
That may happen on any flash card.  The controller or flash die of the memory card probably damaged by some unknown reason.  I cannot say this is not caused by your 5D3, but most of time that caused by the flash card itself.  I have worked/been working for both flash and semiconductor companies.  What I can say is flash card damage is a normal thing.  Moreover, CF cards are much more reliable than SD card.  You should avoid to use SD cards when you can use CF cards.  By the way, I believe 5D3 can support up to 133x on SD card which is much slower than CF card.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »