July 22, 2014, 04:21:17 AM

Author Topic: 5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed  (Read 12470 times)

marooni

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
I encounter a problem with my 5D mark III that destroyed one of my cards.

The problem appeared when I locked two pictures on the card and after that I erased all pictures fron the card except the locked ones. The erasing proces started and after few seconds (10-15 sec) appeared the message "the card is not recognisable". Tried different approaches: close and open camera, remove and put back the card, try to format the card on 5D mk II, try to format on MAC, PC, tray to accese it with IPAd, but the card remained not recognisable by any of the cameras, pc`s, mac`s or Ipad.

Is just broke.

Does anyone knew something about this issue?

Thanks,

Robert

canon rumors FORUM

5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »

Jay H

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
Try Sandisk's RescuePRO first. A 1 yr license comes with each card, if you do not have a copy PM me + I will give you one of mine.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
what makes you think the canon broke the card?

counterfeit sandisk cards (approximately one third are fake says sandisk) show this behavior quite often.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:05:51 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
Try Sandisk's RescuePRO first. A 1 yr license comes with each card, if you do not have a copy PM me + I will give you one of mine.

that app is for rescuing deleted files. he can´t even access his card.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »

that app is for rescuing deleted files. he can´t even access his card.

Have you used it?
It will erase on a card and set all the memory cells to zeros. and will then reformat it.  It might not fix his card, but its worth trying. 

Jay H

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »
If the above doesn't work, open up windows/system32/diskmgmt.msc. That should recognise drives/cards not otherwise recognized by the computer.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
A few thoughts.

First, "destruction" implies severe physical damage. From the subject, I was expecting to read about the magic smoke being released from the card, or something along those lines. Nothing of the sort happened.

Next, as others have noted, the chances that this is the camera's fault are basically nonexistent. Zero? No, of course not. But the odds that even something like a cosmic ray caused the problem are far higher than the camera being to blame.

And, last, once a card has gone tits-up like this, I'd never trust it again. If I could get a refund or replacement, fantastic. If not, I'd just toss it, write it off, and move on. Part of the cost of the business.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography link=topic=14183.msg256445#msg256445
Have you used it?.

yes... and if the OS did not see the card it will do nothing.

And, last, once a card has gone tits-up like this, I'd never trust it again. If I could get a refund or replacement, fantastic. If not, I'd just toss it, write it off, and move on. Part of the cost of the business.

+1000
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:50:57 PM by Canon-F1 »

marooni

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
I did the best next thing: I tried the same thing with another card, an old 2GB Sandisk Extreme III: took some pics, locked some of them and erased the card.
Same thing happened: the card is not useable anymore.

This is telling me that my 5D mk III have a problem with locked pics. I do not know if this is a general problem, with all 5D mk III`s, but with mine is. I will buy tomorrow some cheap cards and try again the same thing.

marooni

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
A few thoughts.

"First, "destruction" implies severe physical damage. From the subject, I was expecting to read about the magic smoke being released from the card, or something along those lines. Nothing of the sort happened.

True, Jesus did not appeared on the screen. I am still waiting! :-[

Next, as others have noted, the chances that this is the camera's fault are basically nonexistent. Zero? No, of course not. But the odds that even something like a cosmic ray caused the problem are far higher than the camera being to blame.

>:( I tried the same thing with another card, an old 2GB Sandisk Extreme III: took some pics, locked some of them and erased the card.
Same thing happened: the card is not useable anymore.  >:(
Looks like the cosmic ray caused the problem!!! 8)

Maybe you did not understood that this card is not useable anymore. How can I trust the card again if is not working?
I do not care about refund and I know well the cost of the business. I just posted a problem for a discussion hoping that someone else have the same problem or have a solution.

Don`t let negative thinking clouded your mind. Let the Force be with you! ;D!

marooni

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »

counterfeit sandisk cards (approximately one third are fake says sandisk) show this behavior quite often.

The card was bought from an "authorised store"  and was pretty fast. I do not think it was a counterfeit one.

And I think that camera broke the card because did the same think when tried with another card.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:24:02 PM by marooni »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

The card was bought from an "authorised store"  and was pretty fast. I do not think it was a counterfeit one.

And I think that camera broke the card because did the same think when tried with another card.

Perhaps time to contact Canon Support? If you have another camera you can take a video with, maybe take a video and show exactly what you are doing and the way in which are doing it.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »

It's screwy, but authorized retailers were also selling knockoffs a while back.  It was a big problem a few years back, so I'm not sure if the issue was ever fixed.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
Never tried to lock pictures, and thank you for the warning.
If this happened to two different cards, Canon needs to explain this.
The first one is/was ~ $ 300?
Painful.
If you get an answer, please post it.
Good luck!

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
If the above doesn't work, open up windows/system32/diskmgmt.msc. That should recognise drives/cards not otherwise recognized by the computer.
Similarly on OS X, if you open up Disk Utility (under Applications/Utilities), it will sometimes show media that isn't properly formatted or that has corrupt partition settings.  If it does show up there (note that it may be greyed out), you can click on it and erase it.  Be sure to use MS-DOS format and MBR as the partition type as the camera won't work with a Mac-formatted card.  If the card doesn't show up in the list, there are bigger problems afoot.  I also recommend contacting Canon EOS Support as they might have additional suggestions.  Last but not least, you should be able to contact Sandisk for a free replacement.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:07:37 PM by jabbott »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »