December 22, 2014, 01:29:27 AM

Author Topic: 5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed  (Read 14348 times)

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mark III problem - 32gb sandisk extreme pro destroyed
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
Perhaps fake SD card. Can also happen if u order via amazon or else. no way they can check every product for it being not a fraud one :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 03:43:29 AM »
There is a big bug in the 5D Mark III card handling system.

I report the bug long before the 5D Mark III hit the market but nothing happend.

The same CF cards work perfectly in the 1D X.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 04:10:54 AM »
what makes you think the canon broke the card?

counterfeit sandisk cards (approximately one third are fake says sandisk) show this behavior quite often.

a fake will definately exhibit this behaviour
the fakes use chips that failed QA and only test out to a much lower amount it could be 4mb or 256 kb its pretty random
the card will work perfectly until the actual limit is reached and then the card will be completely dead. however you can download the programming software that will let you reprogram the card again (windows only) it will let you set the visible size of the card. its really really dodgy. i cant remember where to get the software but i have reprogrammed a few of these dodgy cards to their correct value but they are basically useless. because the usable value is most often very very low.
APS-H Fanboy

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
I hope you format the card in camera before a shoot
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

vanermi

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »
I don't think any of you are seeing the point and just dead set on blaming the cards. My SD cards are fine and have NEVER failed. Also a compact flash card has NEVER failed on my before. I had the 5D Mark II before and never once did a card fail and I didn't format it each day. I shot with it for 6 months straight in Mexico not formatting it once and no problems. Now I have much faster more expensive CF cards and they failed back to back after already being used for weeks. Then yesterday another one fails. It's DEFINITELY the camera and I posted on here because I am exhibiting the same problems as the original poster and I can see his frustration too as people just keep getting off topic just to be heard. If you read my first post you'll see that every post after is redundant. It's NOT THE CF CARDS it is the camera and I want to know if there's a known issue before sending it back to Canon under warranty. If CF cards were that sensitive they wouldn't even exist. Thanks for trying but please stick to the subject and no more blaming the CF cards and spitting up over chewed up topic of failing cards as this is obviously a spike from the camera to the card.

longtallkarl

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
also - marooni - if you're still out there, was there ever any conclusion to your problems?

-karl

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Now I have much faster more expensive CF cards and they failed back to back after already being used for weeks. Then yesterday another one fails
Since you refer to 5DMK3 and to newer faster cards at the same time you must admit that you changed 2 parameters at once. So there is no proof like it or not. Proof would be if the old CF cards that worked fine in 5DMkII were damaged in 5DMkIII. And vice versa if the newer faster CF cards had worked with no problem and with the same scenario in 5DMkII and NOT in 5DMkIII.

That being said, have you sent your 5DMkIII to Canon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
Don't SanDisk have a lifetime warranty? Could you return the card to them for a replacement?

msatter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

I report the bug long before the 5D Mark III hit the market but nothing happend.

I had an err80 with my 5DMKIII two shoots ago and after taking out the battery is was away. After the last shoot I put my Lexar 32GB proffessional 800x in reader and Windows7 said it was a new card and wanted to format it. I put the card in a USB Lexar reader and to my relief there were still pictures on it.

Browsing the pictures I noticed that I was missing pictures and after checking I was missing the last 100 ones. I got 651 RAW pictures and that was 16GB on data still on the card.

I used Recuva to see if the missing pictures were there but there were only the deleted files from previous shoots.

Luckily I write JPG (S1) to my EyeFi SDcard (8GB) that transfer to an iPad with Shuttersnitch so I still got those. Setting for the two card: Rec. separately.

My observations; this was the first time I used the CF card as playback, picture on the LCD, and this because I got a err80 the shoot before. The camera did not produce any errors during the shoot and silently switched over to the SD card as playback medium. The pictures still present on the CF card is half the size of the total size of the CF card.

After saving all the files I put the CF card back in the camera and took more pictures and it functioned perfectly again.

Checked now with Windows7 if there are any bad sectors and there were any.

Next shoots I will have to check during the shoot if the playback setting silently switches and carry extra CF cards with me to exchange the used CF card when this happens again.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:44:11 PM by msatter »

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
Don't SanDisk have a lifetime warranty? Could you return the card to them for a replacement?
Yes, you can return it and get a new one from SanDisk.  However, you cannot get the pictures back on that card.  I still prefer CF card because of the reliability.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

YES, I think there is a bug. It happened recently to me with a brand new USA warranty 5D3. It worked fine for 2 weeks and then I sent it in to Canon's Irvine, CA Service center for calibration with my 70-200Lii lens. When it went in, it had the newest firmware 1.2.1. When it came back (later I discovered it NOW had the older firmware 1.1.7), after shooting about 160 RAW shots, I started to download to my Macbook Pro using the USB camera cable, and halfway thru, it crashed my EOS Utility software and froze. I could do nothing but turn everything off. I tried everything and it still would not work. I recently posted this on another thread several weeks ago. I took that CF card out of the 5D3 and put in my 7D and it worked fine and downloaded those photos that the 5D3 crashed. I tried more shoots and the exact same thing happened again and again. I took it to the Honolulu Canon center and they tried it with my 5D3 but with their CF card and their computer and it crashed their computer EOS Utility also and froze. They sent it back to Irvine and it came back with the newest firmware 1.2.1 now installed again. Now it has been working OK so far and will download OK. However, with the first shoot or two, my file numbering system was acting strange, switching by itself from my factory designated camera file name to IMG_ and back. Now, it seems to be OK. I initially tried multiple CF cards, which I always format in the camera I am using for that shoot, and they all failed with my 5D3 before the second trip to Canon's Irvine service center.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

ForumMuppet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • RedRingPhotos
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
I had an issue with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB card giving an unrecognized error. After a few days I was able to format the card and take shots again. Being the card was only a month old, I contacted Sandisk explaining my lack of faith in the card not going bad and losing shots. After verifying the serial number and retailer where I purchased the card, the rep informed me the Extreme Pro cards are guaranteed for life and gave me a new replacement. From that customer service experience, I will only use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards moving forward. :)

If you have not already done so, I would suggest contacting the Sandisk customer service for a replacement card.
1D X, 5D III, and lots of glass...

My website: RedRingPhotos.com

vanermi

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
Now I have much faster more expensive CF cards and they failed back to back after already being used for weeks. Then yesterday another one fails
Since you refer to 5DMK3 and to newer faster cards at the same time you must admit that you changed 2 parameters at once. So there is no proof like it or not. Proof would be if the old CF cards that worked fine in 5DMkII were damaged in 5DMkIII. And vice versa if the newer faster CF cards had worked with no problem and with the same scenario in 5DMkII and NOT in 5DMkIII.

That being said, have you sent your 5DMkIII to Canon?

This latest card the fried was used a lot on my 5D Mark II. No I haven't sent camera in, just spoke with them. I just purchased new Komputer Bay cards and if they go, I will send camera back and they will replace pin bed. Then if still wrecking cards, new camera?? It's frustrating.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 03:29:56 AM »
My 5D3 and CF cards seem to be working OK now.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

AdamJ

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »
I'm not suggesting that bent pins in the OP's 5D MkIII are the cause of his troubles, but in case anyone doubts the existence of bent pin problems, here's a quote from Roger at LensRentals:

"However, some common problems we saw a year ago like the 5D Mk III having bent CF pins and the D800 battery doors snapping off seem to have been fixed and have ceased to be an issue at all."

So it seems it was perhaps a problem in earlier Mk III bodies but not in LensRentals' newer Mk III inventory. The full article is linked below.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »