Gear Talk > Lenses

A 4000$ budget for Lenses on 5D3... need suggestions

(1/7) > >>

maass:
Hello CR folks,

I recently bought a 5D3 and 50mm 1.8.This is my first investment and I am based out of India. 
I mostly shoot Low Light , Landscape , Street Photography and Slow Shutter captures.

Before taking up 5D3 I had an experience of working with my colleague's Canon60D , 18-135(kits lens) ,70-200mm f4 and NikonD7000 50mm f1.4,70-200mm f4. 
I had some severe limitations while shooting Landscapes and didn't get enough experience on wide-angle shots  :-[
I will be travelling to Ladakh,a landscape,rich cultured,wildlife Himalayan Range in the month of July and I am looking for suggestions to get some 'real' gear.
All I can  say that this will be my starting point to get into some real action  ;)

I can spend up to 4000$ on the Lenses.
Please share the gear details based on your own experience.

Regards
Hari

---------------------------------------------------------------

Update :
Thanks for the suggestions Guys 
I decided on getting 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 

Hari

---------------------------------------------------------------

ChilledXpress:
Your about $9000 short of a 600mmL...

dirtcastle:
What focal range(s) do you need to cover?

What is the widest you need to go?

What is the longest focal length you might need?

With your widest and longest focal lengths (plus any specialty needs like macro, tilt-shift), we will be able to give you a better answer. For example, if you don't need anything wider than 24mm, it would be a very different list than if you need to go as wide as 16mm/17mm.

Eli:
I'd suggest getting the 24-70 II, such a great general purpose lens that can be used for landscapes as well. Having one great lens whilst traveling is ideal, you don't want to be carrying around so much gear.
Then a general purpose lowlight prime like the sigma 35 f1.4.

ecka:
I don't know how you feel about it, but I like traveling light. I'd take only 2 primes and a tele zoom, but it is easier for me to choose, because I already know what focal length I prefer. Do you? If not, then maybe renting few L zooms could be a good idea. 16-35L, 24-105L and 100-400L should do well + that 50/1.8'II.
My dream UWA lens is TS-E 17L, so it would definitely be on the list (the only reason it's not, is because I don't have $4000 budget to spend :P), but for traveling I'd grab the 24/1.4L, which is much more versatile and a better lens for the trip. 70-300L would be my tele-zoom choice for traveling and 40STM is great for hanging around my neck all day long (same as 50/1.8'II) :). I love macro, so I would buy a macro lens (sigma 150 or canon 100L), but I would travel without it, I'd get an extension tube set instead (for my 40STM).
I know that many would suggest the standard 24-70L'II USM + 70-200L'II IS USM combo (which costs more than $4k). It is great, when it is wide enough, long enough and fast enough for the job, but I wouldn't travel with these two workhorses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version