October 25, 2014, 03:50:17 PM

Author Topic: Set From Death Valley National Park  (Read 6433 times)

mycanonphotos

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Set From Death Valley National Park
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
Few shots from well known areas..

more here
http://jasonsphotography.net/f112436688

canon rumors FORUM

Set From Death Valley National Park
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Set From Death Valley National Park
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »
Awesome! Great shots.  8)

ERO

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »
Nice pics....but please, please lose the squiggle.

mycanonphotos

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
Nice pics....but please, please lose the squiggle.

You must be talking about the watermark....it stays on.

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
The photos did turn out great-- but I'm going to have to agree, the (C) watermark immediately puts my in the mindset that these are a bunch of "meh" stock photos.

I agree with watermarking photos, but something a bit classier would be a lot less distracting from the beauty of the photos themselves.

Photo-wise though, they look great-- nice shots!
5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 II L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

matt2491

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
Sweet shots, but yea the watermark is overwhelming.

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
I agree that some type of watermark may be necessary, but this one is way too obtrusive.

Moreover, if the OP is so worried that someone looking at the images might steal them, why did he post them to begin with? Isn't looking at photos the very reason we make them?

zen

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

matt2491

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Moreover, if the OP is so worried that someone looking at the images might steal them, why did he post them to begin with? Isn't looking at photos the very reason we make them?

Bang on.

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
I might try embedding meta tags - these are searchable and traceable.  there are also many forms of copyrighting images of which you can read more about here:

http://creativecommons.org/

you don't state which copyright you are allowing such as All Rights Reserved or Attribution 3.0 Unported

also, embedding the images as BBCODE here vs. a straight upload would allow your web site to track an IP address when someone clicks the image.  This is a just in case you feel someone stole your work vs. here where you are not an admin and have no access to IP logs.

The heavy watermark embedded in these photos is not a safe secure way of protecting your work and may cause the interested party to look away vs. stare at the image as the watermark (as others state) is a bit obtrusive.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

mycanonphotos

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
I love the fact that everyone is harping on my watermark...I'm sharing my work with all of you however there are individuals out there in other parts of the world that take regardless of whatever size watermark is on your photograph..I'm just making it easier for them to say....Meh....! if they are at all thinking about it... If I was in the business of jacking others photography....there are many others that use "smaller" "C" logos and watermarks that can easily be cloned out cropped etc... I should drop it smack in the middle...ever browse stock photography that is for sale?..

Thanks everybody!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:14:21 PM by mycanonphotos »

mycanonphotos

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
I might try embedding meta tags - these are searchable and traceable.  there are also many forms of copyrighting images of which you can read more about here:

http://creativecommons.org/

you don't state which copyright you are allowing such as All Rights Reserved or Attribution 3.0 Unported

also, embedding the images as BBCODE here vs. a straight upload would allow your web site to track an IP address when someone clicks the image.  This is a just in case you feel someone stole your work vs. here where you are not an admin and have no access to IP logs.

The heavy watermark embedded in these photos is not a safe secure way of protecting your work and may cause the interested party to look away vs. stare at the image as the watermark (as others state) is a bit obtrusive.

If someone is seriously intrested in my photography special arraingements can be made for viewing via password login, and also If someone is going to right click and copy there are ways of stripping the meta data...not to mention some monitors and video cards have high enough resolution for decent printable screen copys..  flicker and facebook are perfect examples of this type of stuff...you can right click and save away on these sites...

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:32:57 PM »
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
I love the fact that everyone is harping on my watermark...I'm sharing my work with all of you however there are individuals out there in other parts of the world that take regardless of whatever size watermark is on your photograph..I'm just making it easier for them to say....Meh....! if they are at all thinking about it... If I was in the business of jacking others photography....there are many others that use "smaller" "C" logos and watermarks that can easily be cloned out cropped etc... I should drop it smack in the middle...ever browse stock photography that is for sale?..

Thanks everybody!
Your pictures are very good. In fact they are so good that if one crops out your watermark, one still ends up with a great picture! Take a look for yourself.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »

ERO

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
Sorry - this was my fault for bringing up the watermark issue. I've taken away from what are, at the end of the day, some pretty cool pictures, which is the point of your post. I'd be proud of them. You are sharing your work with us, and this forum is a better place for it.

You can't ignore the watermark issue, though. I do agree with you, and also with Schruminator about the necessity for some kind of copyright protection - it becomes even more of an issue when the material is of the quality of yours - after all, no-one wants to download a poor photograph. I'm not well versed in the practicalities of inserting non-erasable info into file data and I'm sure you'll settle on something that works for you. I would point out, though, that all you really have to do is rest happy in the knowledge that no-one can do anything worthwhile with the typically small files that appear here.

My thinking on your pics is simply that the copyright symbol is so excessively large and intrusive that it really detracts from the appeal of the photo. It's not even a creative reflection of your work - it's a '(C)'. I can't look at any of your pictures without having my attention pulled away from the point of them - the symbol becomes an intrinsic part of the composition and as such, because it's compositionally unsympathetic, it ruins it. It's no longer 'art'. You need to understand that anyone even remotely competent in CS6 can get rid of anything they want, so you're not really achieving anything by doing this.

So again, sorry for sidetracking things, but your photographs have brought up an important issue that should concern us all.

Keep up the good work! I like it.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »

Thanks everybody!

Totally agree...protect your image any way that you feel necessary.   
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »