September 20, 2014, 08:03:17 AM

Author Topic: 1D-X with Continuous RAW Video Recording ?  (Read 3443 times)

Slash

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
1D-X with Continuous RAW Video Recording ?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:52 AM »
Hi guys, I need your opinion

As a photographer I have chosen the 1D-X over the 5D3 for its photographic capabilities and image quality. Now I occasionally do some video works and even released a 52 mins documentary. I am happy as I have the kind of tool I was waiting for some years. It is now possible for me to make a photo shooting or movies with the same camera and with all the gear in a single backpack. Regarding mobility, this is simply great.

I find the overall video quality decent for most of my work… but I really miss the control power that gives RAW.  When I heard about ML unlocking RAW video capabilities and saw the first samples, I felt a bit frustrated. I am confident I made the right choice for my photographic works, so I do regret nothing. I don’t think I will sell my 1D just for that, nor will I buy an extra camera as it will be less convenient and I will have to spend a bunch of bucks. I just know my 1D-X is able to shoot 4K RAW and this feature is being locked for some marketing reasons. What do you advice me to do (except buying a 5D3 and get ML on it) ? Which among those 4 options seems more realistic ?

1. Wait for the next generation of 1D bodies, hoping Canon will unlock RAW video. See you in three years or more…
2. Learn coding, learn from the 7D ML firmware and build a 1D ML program at my own risks.
3. Call my friends, call some pros and bring pressure on Canon. Make the phone line and email servers explode with requests (With the risk that ironically, they will eventually issue a firmware upgrade with 4K RAW in some years… for the 1D-C)
4. Make an online petition on change.org !! (I was half serious with that one...)

PS : please no replies such as "shut up and be happy"  :) I am quite happy with my gear but just looking for ways of improving its performance. thank you.

Thanks for your take on this !!

canon rumors FORUM

1D-X with Continuous RAW Video Recording ?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:52 AM »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: 1D-X with Continuous RAW Video Recording ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
Not sure I would advise doing your own hack.  Besides potentially "bricking" the body, I did see language where Canon is protective on their 1 series bodies and will take legal action for reverse engineering.

There is a reason ML has 5x series hacks and not 1 series hacks... LAWYERS

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »
See the post here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/inside-the-canon-eos-1d-c/

Third Party Firmware?
I was told by someone at Canon that they would “bring the might of its legal team” to anyone that attempts to modify at the software level, the features of an EOS-1 camera body. So I think the firmware community out there today will probably leave the EOS-1D X alone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »