September 01, 2014, 03:18:19 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]  (Read 44474 times)

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »
Add the 19 pt AF system from the 7D to this and it would fly off the shelves. (I would like digic 6, better hi-ISO, and wide-tele AFMA also). If these things come through, the 70D will be many peoples choice instead of the 7D.

Perhaps. But if all that goes into the 70D, I can't wait for the announcement of the 7DII!
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »

bardamu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »
The camera will likely be `good' in absolute terms, if this is any indication.  It is really the strength of the competition at present that is the issue.

The 7D mk ii is what I'm really waiting for.  But even then I will be doing a careful comparison with the Nikon offerings.  I could end up with a hybrid system (since I can't give up my workhorse MP-E 65mm).

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 12:58:25 AM »
The problem is not the megapixel number, just that Canon is using technology from 2009 in a world of Moore's Law.

That's like Apple sticking with the camera from the 3GS for the iPhone 5.

18MP is the sweet spot?  So when camera comes out with a 24MP sensor with better DR and ISO than this 2009 relic, what will you do then?  Stick with your 7D because "no one needs those megapixels"? 

An 8MP cellphone sensor with tiny plastic optics can out-resolve a 5MP one.  Do you know what a DSLR sensor would be like at that density?  There is a ton of growing room, 18MP is just the beginning.

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »
Has anyone tested out the SL1's sensor yet? How is it performing? My bet is that the image quality remains the same. Canon would probably want to announce the 70D before the SL1 is released to the public because once they realize the IQ is not better than the old 18MP sensor, nobody is going to buy it.
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

fman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 01:54:59 AM »
DXO tells us the sensor is useless, yet somehow people manage to take great pictures.

I managed to take great pictures 15 years ago with my SLR and yet I use DSLR nowadays (beyond micro 4/3).
I managed without mobile phone 20 years ago but I use it continuously nowadays.

Technology moves on. Not so Canon's APS-C sensor tech. They are still living in 2009.
The 18 MP is perfectly fine for me and I think for the most (the last thing I'd wish for more MP with Canon's sensor tech from 2009) but hopefully they improve the per pixel quality.

jhanken

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 02:19:36 AM »
It sucks having too much Canon glass to affordably switch camps. #firstworldproblems

Funny!  Recently upgraded the hard disc on my main computer, and when I got the "critically low" message today, i am feeling pretty good about 18 megapickles.  Heading to the local computer establishment tomorrow to purchase a second hard disc.

The 60D is looking spiffy at current prices, the 70D seems to represent a significant refinement to an extremely fine family of cameras.

We must remember that the equipment isn't supposed to create art for us, it is here to enable us and take away as many distractions and tedious tasks as possible.  It feels like the majors, Canon included, are ever converging on taking hardware-related tasks out of the creative process.  Bully for Canon.
5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

MythBusters

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 03:07:57 AM »
The problem is not the megapixel number, just that Canon is using technology from 2009 in a world of Moore's Law.

An 8MP cellphone sensor with tiny plastic optics can out-resolve a 5MP one.  Do you know what a DSLR sensor would be like at that density?  There is a ton of growing room, 18MP is just the beginning.

So I guess you would have expected a 15GHz processor in your laptop by now?!
Seriously, Moore's law doesn't hold for all parameters, read through the science books.

Of course, I don't disagree that MP might go up at some point, though overall sensor performance is the key indicator. If it goes up by keeping your MP and improving light sensitivity, off course you'd do that instead of blindly raising your MP because Moore's law tells you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 03:07:57 AM »

Diko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:27 AM »
DIGIC V (no one has said it will get DIGIC 6)
With the rise of the new SX280 CANON officially has stated that DIGIC 5 is a technology of the past.

When releasing a new product the vendor  is supposed to equip with its "best/newest" (officially released for other products) technology. If 70D is missing DIGIC6 then that would contribute to the bad image of CANON.

Things are even worser: the rumors are that the 7D2 would be with the 2 of the DIGIC 5s. Adding to that the modest DR that the current 1DX/5D3/6D CMOSs are capable of is very bad image for CANON.

Why do they continue with that low value for their customers in 2013? Year of versatile solutions from all competitors.

I don't want to be offered the same quality as someone buying lower class equipment targeted for the tourists:
18mp Sensor (Same as SL1)
I believe and HOPE that all that is only RUMORS. I am looking forward that both 70D & 7D2 will be with the newest and best CMOS and DIGIC technology.

P.S.: Sorry for the edit... Posted by accident before finishing it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:50:34 AM by Diko »

wjm

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:18 AM »
Has anyone tested out the SL1's sensor yet? How is it performing? My bet is that the image quality remains the same. Canon would probably want to announce the 70D before the SL1 is released to the public because once they realize the IQ is not better than the old 18MP sensor, nobody is going to buy it.

There is a preview of the camera on dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-100d-rebel-sl1/7). There are also test pictures. The high ISO ones (=6400) look quite fine to me. Noise seems well controlles (although it is hard to judge with limited pictures).

I think Canon should have made the 'new' sensor 19mp or so. This way people stop (intentionally) mixing up the new and the old one ...  :-\

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:56 AM »
Unless they did a body redesign, I assume the built-in flash is gone too?

... but in the 6d, the gps/wifi antennas are where the flash could go, so they are probably mutually exclusive

Things are even worser: the rumors are that the 7DM2 would be with the 2 of the DIGIC 5s.

But you have no idea what has changed from 5 to 6, do you? Most likely it will be changes for some very specialized functions like better video af, the basic design of Canon cpus and the operating system have been the same for the last decade. The digic certainly doesn't fix the sensor.

Just because it's 18 doesn't mean it is the same sensor... This would seem like a worthy successor to the 60D

... on the other hand, if Canon would redesign the sensor except adding phase af pixels they'd surely up the mp count just for marketing purposes. My guess is also on 9 af points :->

Still, if it's got a better noise pattern, a little more dr like on the 6d and no banding this is a very decent camera and re-adds what was cut from the current 60d, probably just what Canon intended to do all along.

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:29 AM »
I don't get people's complaints about resolution.

Sure, there are some photographers out there who need enough pixels for an ad that covers the side of a building (a lot, even though printed at ~20DPI), or bird photographers who would rather crop on a regular basis than spend big cash on a longer super-tele, but my impression is those are a minority.

Most magazines are sub-A4, with a few larger fold outs, e.g. National Geographic fold size is equivalent to 13MP.

Diko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 04:03:12 AM »
Things are even worser: the rumors are that the 7DM2 would be with the 2 of the DIGIC 5s.
But you have no idea what has changed from 5 to 6, do you?
Canon have already stated that in DIGIC 6 we will witness:

---
* - Dynamic IS now detects and compensates for tilt and parallel movement (shift blur) to create video that's exceptionally free of distortion.
My comment: I doubt that it would be implemented in the DSLRs. But who knows. Why NOT.

* - enables video recording in MP4 format. Highly compressed MP4 video not only preserves space on your memory card but also improves playback on mobile devices.

* - improved sensitivity that allows for higher resolution with less noise when shooting in dark conditions.

The above "improved sensitivity" to be read as:

* - Most probably improved ISO-NOISE-reducing-algorythm which again would be trade of for DR. I shoot in dark and these specs are important to me.
---

Most of that is NOT concerning me, because I do stills and avoid video. I am most interested in High ISO and wide DR.

the basic design of Canon cpus and the operating system have been the same for the last decade. The digic certainly doesn't fix the sensor.
EXACTLY!

However having in mind that CANON have something new. They should IMPLEMENT it for everyone or at least to those that are willing to pay above $1k and most probably are amateurs or PROs with small  budget options.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:10:19 AM by Diko »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »
* - improved sensitivity that allows for higher resolution with less noise when shooting in dark conditions.

The above "improved sensitivity" to be read as:

* - Most probably improved ISO-NOISE-reducing-algorythm which again would be trade of for DR. I shoot in dark and these specs are important to me.

Thanks for the information, I didn't know they already published it! But now I really know the digic6 isn't for me - it would delay Magic Lantern, I don't do video and the noise reduction of course only concerns jpeg files and I don't do these either :-p ... the good "film-like" nr advancement 5d2->5d3 was already done by digic5.

I don't get people's complaints about resolution.

I'm ok with 18mp, but more resolution would be nice for macro and esp. would provide more leverage for cropping different aspect ratios or cuts w/o taking multiple shots and do perspective correction in post w/o a hardware tilt/shift lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 04:25:20 AM »
Seems like the XXD line is back on track.
At $1199 i believe the XXD line will stay where is now. on those specs nothing about body construction and AF. I believe 70D will be slightly bigger but will have the same construction as the current 60D.

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »
I'm glad I found this before it becomes 10 pages long. The new camera won't be aimed at any of us who own a Canon but
to future buyers. If it's got any features that are better than the 60D new customers to digital will find it fills their requirements. The forum chatter will continue chatter till something comes along to make us want to upgrade. Canon wants us to upgrade to Full Frame. We will because we have all this lovely glass and need a camera to replace what we have almost worn out or have grown out of. Some of us will go to the 5Dlll, it's replacement, the 6D or the 6Dll. I'm going
to use my 7D till it burns out. I will keep reading Canon Rumors to keep up on the various cameras as they come out so as to be ready for my day to upgrade.   
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »