July 26, 2014, 04:11:53 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]  (Read 42999 times)

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
I found this interesting... http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-also-the-a78-summer-launch-has-been-withdrawn/

To sum it up, here's a quote from the article (with some extraneous info redacted for the sake of brevity) - emphasis is mine and is bolded:

Months ago I told you how the A-mount roadmap has been dramatically changed after the new Sony CEO started the company restructuring program. ... And now according to brand new rumors we got from trusted sources also the planed A77 successor (the A78) that should have been announced this summer has been take off the roadmap!

The reason for it is that the A78 had too little improvements over the current A77. And it is Sony’s new policy to release a camera only if it brings considerably major advancements in features and image quality. ... Sony is developing new A-mount cameras that can outperform the competition. The status quo between Nikon-Sony-Canon is over. Sony wants to become “serious” and start a real war in the camera market. The A78 simply was good but not really a game changer camera.

That's the kind of approach I wish all camera makers would adopt.  Obviously, investors in Canon are happy with extreme utilization of technologies long ago paid for, but the USERS of that equipment who are currently invested and are looking for a substantial upgrade are left out in the cold.

If Sony can put out glass as good as Canon's and produce image quality on par as well - I see no reason not to go with the innovative company.  Especially when in-body IS is baked right in to the experience and EVERY lens gets IS.  And that's why I won't buy a refreshed 60D - no "game changing" features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
The camera will likely be `good' in absolute terms, if this is any indication.  It is really the strength of the competition at present that is the issue.

The 7D mk ii is what I'm really waiting for.  But even then I will be doing a careful comparison with the Nikon offerings.  I could end up with a hybrid system (since I can't give up my workhorse MP-E 65mm).
I think you've said a lot in that first paragraph Bard.  Almost all Canon cameras are "good", what everyone one wants is one that is "Great" for the price of one that is "Good".   

Not that I blame anyone, who wouldn't want that!  It goes along with the "song of the silly" that is sung everywhere,  those are all wanting and expecting a FF offering for under $1000!  It's just not real, not yet anyway.  I'm sure in a couple of years folks that want a FF camera under $1000 will be able to pick up used 6D's and used 5d2's for $1000 and under, it's just a matter of time...  ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
DXO tells us the sensor is useless, yet somehow people manage to take great pictures.

I managed to take great pictures 15 years ago with my SLR and yet I use DSLR nowadays (beyond micro 4/3).
I managed without mobile phone 20 years ago but I use it continuously nowadays.

Technology moves on. Not so Canon's APS-C sensor tech. They are still living in 2009.
The 18 MP is perfectly fine for me and I think for the most (the last thing I'd wish for more MP with Canon's sensor tech from 2009) but hopefully they improve the per pixel quality.
All those things are true for me as well but you're comparing 4 years ago technology as apples to apples with regard to sensor technology and you're other comparisons are comparing technologies 15 years and 20 years or more apart.. the technology will keep moving as you so aptly say, yet so many seem unsatisfied that it doesn't move on fast enough... I see the future sensors continuing to evolve in pixel density and pixel quality... let's see what we think in another 11 years!  We'll probably be blown away!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »
Why does someone assume that if the pixel count is the same then the sensor is the same one?  The 1DX. 7D, 60D, T3i, T4i, T5i, EOS-M, and SL1 are all 18MP

The 1DX has a FF sensor. All the other cameras you listed have in fact pretty much the same sensor.

The camera will likely be `good' in absolute terms, if this is any indication.  It is really the strength of the competition at present that is the issue.

The 7D mk ii is what I'm really waiting for.  But even then I will be doing a careful comparison with the Nikon offerings.  I could end up with a hybrid system (since I can't give up my workhorse MP-E 65mm).
I think you've said a lot in that first paragraph Bard.  Almost all Canon cameras are "good", what everyone one wants is one that is "Great" for the price of one that is "Good".   

Not that I blame anyone, who wouldn't want that!  It goes along with the "song of the silly" that is sung everywhere,  those are all wanting and expecting a FF offering for under $1000!  It's just not real, not yet anyway.  I'm sure in a couple of years folks that want a FF camera under $1000 will be able to pick up used 6D's and used 5d2's for $1000 and under, it's just a matter of time...  ;)

I don't think it's silly to expect a camera in the same price and market league as the D7100 to offer comparable performance.

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
I'm glad I found this before it becomes 10 pages long. The new camera won't be aimed at any of us who own a Canon but
to future buyers. If it's got any features that are better than the 60D new customers to digital will find it fills their requirements. The forum chatter will continue chatter till something comes along to make us want to upgrade. Canon wants us to upgrade to Full Frame. We will because we have all this lovely glass and need a camera to replace what we have almost worn out or have grown out of. Some of us will go to the 5Dlll, it's replacement, the 6D or the 6Dll. I'm going
to use my 7D till it burns out. I will keep reading Canon Rumors to keep up on the various cameras as they come out so as to be ready for my day to upgrade.
Sounds like a wise choice!  I have a 5dMkIII but I still love my 7d as well!
Ken

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
Want to force Canon to innovate?  Don't buy into everything they release.  The 5D Mark II is still a superb camera and the 5D Mark III does not present such a technological leap, yet many of you wanted the latest and greatest and rewarded Canon.  The 1D Mark IV was a leap beyond the 1D Mark III with video and IQ,  but was the 1DX a quantum improvement over the 1D Mark IV?

As long as people gobble up what they offer; Canon will continue on this path.  How many 5D Mark II owners jumped at the 5D Mark III?  How many people cast aside the 1D Mark IV for the 1DX?  How many T3i owners upgraded to the T4i?  If you accept small incremental technology improvements, expect more of the same.

Look at the T4i, the T5i should have been the one released to replace the T3i.  I expect the T5i sensor to be a major leap over the T3i in IQ.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:36:40 AM by tiger82 »
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
Why does someone assume that if the pixel count is the same then the sensor is the same one?  The 1DX. 7D, 60D, T3i, T4i, T5i, EOS-M, and SL1 are all 18MP

The 1DX has a FF sensor. All the other cameras you listed have in fact pretty much the same sensor.

I don't think it's silly to expect a camera in the same price and market league as the D7100 to offer comparable performance.
I don't think it's silly so much as in one to expect it.  I think it's silly for one to expect it from Canon... I just can't see them going there.   Hopefully for the multitudes, I'll be proven wrong at some point in time!   :)
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »

TeQuillaaaA

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
So it means that there is no new camera like 70d? :-(

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »
So it means that there is no new camera like 70d? :-(
Certainly there is.  Just speculation as to how it will be outfitted... We'll find out soon! :D
Ken

TeQuillaaaA

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
I will travel to iceland in the end of june ... so i want to take photos with a new camera :D it will be very close ...

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
I will travel to iceland in the end of june ... so i want to take photos with a new camera :D it will be very close ...
It will be really close since it hasn't been announced yet and it's almost May!  Good luck!  Do you have a contingency plan if it doesn't hit the market until later in the year like August or September?
Ken

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
[T]he 5D Mark III does not present such a technological leap[....]

Erm, that's complete bollocks.

Best autofocus system of any camera on the market at the time of its release, best high ISO performance of any camera on the market at the time of its release, best video of any consumer DSLR....

There's a whole hell of a lot more to a camera than just its megapickle count.

Anybody who claims that the 5DIII isn't a big deal isn't a photographer or is just plain clueless.

It may well be the case that the advancements made in the 5DIII aren't relevant to your particular type of photography. And, if all you do is low ISO work of static subjects, you'd be exactly right.

But that's such a marginal part of photography that's already been so well served that it's ludicrous to suggest that that's all that matters.

Cheers,

b&

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »

Best autofocus system of any camera on the market at the time of its release, best high ISO performance of any camera on the market at the time of its release, best video of any consumer DSLR....

Anybody who claims that the 5DIII isn't a big deal isn't a photographer or is just plain clueless.

It may well be the case that the advancements made in the 5DIII aren't relevant to your particular type of photography. And, if all you do is low ISO work of static subjects, you'd be exactly right.

But that's such a marginal part of photography that's already been so well served that it's ludicrous to suggest that that's all that matters.

Cheers,

b&

So you are saying the 5D Mark III's AF and ISO performance is better than the 1DX?  My point is many people upgraded just to have the latest and greatest.  I would bet you 95% of 5D Mark III upgraders never go above ISO 640
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
...  It sucks having too much Canon glass to affordably switch camps. #firstworldproblems

Why do you have too much Canon glass ??? I'm always amazed at all the people who own lenses that they don't use very often.

Sell them!!. People always say that lenses are a good investment, so you may even make a little money :)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »

Cheers,

b&

So you are saying the 5D Mark III's AF and ISO performance is better than the 1DX?  My point is many people upgraded just to have the latest and greatest.  I would bet you 95% of 5D Mark III upgraders never go above ISO 640

The 5DIII should be compared to the 5DII, as your earlier post indicated.  Why are you now comparing it to the 1DX?

That would make for an interesting poll to see how 5DIII users use the camera.  Over 25% of the shots I keep are at ISO 3200 or above.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »