November 22, 2014, 09:33:49 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]  (Read 47877 times)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
So you are saying the 5D Mark III's AF and ISO performance is better than the 1DX?

Read what I wrote. I was shooting with a retail-bought 5DIII for a long time before you could even place a pre-order for the 1DX.

Plus, you've just acknowledged that the 5DIII's autofocus and low light performance is second only to Canon's most ultimate ever flagship camera. And yet it's still an insignificant marginal improvement over the 5DII? Please. At least have the decency to keep your trolling consistent.

My point is many people upgraded just to have the latest and greatest.  I would bet you 95% of 5D Mark III upgraders never go above ISO 640

That's a bet I'd happily take. Indeed, I'd bet you that the overwhelming majority of 5DIII owners are event and wedding photographers and journalists, and a good number of them are going to be using ISO 800 on the 5DIII as their standard setting. Indeed, the set of circumstances where you need lower than ISO 800 on the 5DIII is very small -- basically, if you're printing at 24" x 36" or bigger and grain is intolerable, a rather small set of photographers indeed.

I mean, seriously. Have you ever even pressed the shutter button on a 5DIII? Or is your experience with one limited to scanning the official announcement for the megapickle count?

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
maybe we see this cam in 2013....
Maybe the 7D2 in 2014???? or 2015???

I´d like to know why Canon is announcing the cams so late.... Nikon is told to bring out the next model in the Summer.... then they have an actual successor of each camera older then 3 years....

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
Why would I pay the same price as a Nikon D7100, for a camera with fewer features ??? Will the 70D have 51 point autofocus ??? Will the 70D shutter be tested 150,000 cycles ??? Will the 70D have a 2,016 pixel RGB 3D Matrix Metering System ??? Will the 70D have dual SDXC slots ???

TeQuillaaaA

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
I will travel to iceland in the end of june ... so i want to take photos with a new camera :D it will be very close ...
It will be really close since it hasn't been announced yet and it's almost May!  Good luck!  Do you have a contingency plan if it doesn't hit the market until later in the year like August or September?

There are two ways:

First: I travel with my 1000D and buy a new camera possibly after the holiday
Second: i buy a other dslr (e.g. 60D or 7D) now ... i am unsure :(

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
Why would I pay the same price as a Nikon D7100, for a camera with fewer features ??? Will the 70D have 51 point autofocus ??? Will the 70D shutter be tested 150,000 cycles ??? Will the 70D have a 2,016 pixel RGB 3D Matrix Metering System ??? Will the 70D have dual SDXC slots ???

Shutter lifecycle is irrelevant. Almost nobody ever wears out a shutter on any DSLR, let alone a consumer model, and those few who actually manage to wear one out only have to pay a few hundred bucks for a replacement. That works out to something on the order of dozens of exposures per penny, truly a rounding error.

Dual memory card slots are irrelevant to all but a very small minority of shooters, too...essentially, the only ones who care are those who need a redundant backup, and they're all shooting with two bodies anyway.

As for the rest of your specs...well, they're meaningless. What matters is the actual real-world autofocus and metering performance, not how they're implemented. If the 70D has autofocus that's fast and accurate, I don't think very many people will care if it has 51 AF points or 37 or 1046 or 5. Same thing with metering. If it nails the exposure, who cares if it does so with a seventeen gigapickle CMY 5D Hypercube Metering Method or with a single photodiode?

I really don't get the point of those who compare product specifications as opposed to actual measurements. It's like a bunch of gearheads bragging about how many horsepower their engines have but completely ignoring who's actually winning the races. So what if your hotrod has 2000 HP and that punk over there is driving an econobox with a measly 500 HP, if he crosses the finish line before you because your car is so unbalanced from the oversized engine that it can't corner worth a damn?

Cheers,

b&

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
I´d like to know why Canon is announcing the cams so late....

Canon has been burnt by the 1dx & 24-70ii delays, now they'll release it if it's really ready for production.

Shutter lifecycle is irrelevant. Almost nobody ever wears out a shutter on any DSLR, let alone a consumer model,

Not so: Shooting brackets (3+ shutter cycles per shot), focus stacking (10-20+ cycles) and using live view with quick af (one cycle very af action) I'm now on 125k cycles on my 60d after about two years.

Dual memory card slots are irrelevant to all but a very small minority of shooters, too...essentially, the only ones who care are those who need a redundant backup, and they're all shooting with two bodies anyway.

That doesn't make sense: Another body doesn't protect you from card failure, i.e. coming home and the data isn't readable but the camera thought it was written just fine. For many, no dual cards disqualifies a 70d or 6d as a backup body for a "pro" first camera 7d2/5d3 - probably what Canon intends.

If they want to pull some Rebel/Kiss/xxxD users upmarket they really need to up the AF.

Canon might decide last minute based on market research what existing af system to chuck in - 60d or 7d. But I'm not very hopeful, there are plenty of other tech specs above the rebels and the whole usability, Canon might think that'd be enough or they'd risk 6d upselling.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

Shutter lifecycle is irrelevant ...

Dual memory card slots are irrelevant  ...

As for the rest of your specs...well, they're meaningless. What matters is the actual real-world autofocus and metering performance, ...

So you think that 61 point autofocus is important on a 1Dx, but irrelavant on a 70D ??? The nice thing about Nikon is that they treat all their customers with respect. Nikon has no second class citizens when it come to autofocus and metering.

In a marketing driven world, having lesser specifications won't win the sales war.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: A Bit of EOS 70D Info [CR1-CR2]
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
Shutter lifecycle is irrelevant. Almost nobody ever wears out a shutter on any DSLR, let alone a consumer model,

Not so: Shooting brackets (3+ shutter cycles per shot), focus stacking (10-20+ cycles) and using live view with quick af (one cycle very af action) I'm now on 125k cycles on my 60d after about two years.

I wrote, "almost nobody." Clearly, there are people who wear out a shutter. But very few.

And, I'll also note: it's taken you two years to reach the official shutter count, and you've probably got at least another year, quite reasonably two, left before your 60D will need a replacement shutter. You, one of the exceptional people who might actually wear out a shutter, are probably going to wind up spending an average cost of about $0.25 / day on the camera's shutter. Over the course of a month, it'll cost you less than many spend on a single drink at Starbucks. I hardly think that qualifies as something that should even be on anybody's radar.

That doesn't make sense: Another body doesn't protect you from card failure, i.e. coming home and the data isn't readable but the camera thought it was written just fine. For many, no dual cards disqualifies a 70d or 6d as a backup body for a "pro" first camera 7d2/5d3 - probably what Canon intends.

I'll agree that dual cards are useful for backups for professionals doing event photography. I just don't see the 70D positioned as such a camera.

Look at it this way: the difference in price between what's listed in this rumor and the 7D from reputable retailers is $50. What pro is even going to bother to pretend that the 70D is a reasonable alternative to a 7D? If you're making money at this and $50 is going to sway your decision, you're not going to be making money for long. The price difference between the 5DII and the 5DIII is $500, again not enough to be a factor in a business decision -- if you can't afford the extra $500, you're in the worng business. (Not that you should just blindly get the more expensive camera, just that price should be pretty far down on your list of decision-making criteria. If you don't need anything that the extra $500 gets you, don't spend the $500. But if anything that extra $500 gets you will be useful, you shouldn't be hesitating to get it just because it's an extra $500.)

Cheers,

b&

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
So you think that 61 point autofocus is important on a 1Dx, but irrelavant on a 70D ??? The nice thing about Nikon is that they treat all their customers with respect. Nikon has no second class citizens when it come to autofocus and metering.

In a marketing driven world, having lesser specifications won't win the sales war.

So why not pay your money (or not) and take your choice, instead of constantly proclaiming Nikon's superiority and more consumer friendly business ethic to the rest of us? As for your comment about specifications and the sales war, are Canon losing market share? If you don't want to shoot Canon, no problem, I just wonder why you continue to hang around on a Canon forum and tell us all about it.

And, FYI, I won't be upgrading my 7D until Canon offers a genuine upgrade, so I'm not defending their strategy, I'm just tired of the same old commentators with nothing new to say that seem to surface every time Canon -RUMOURS- (not even announces) a product.
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »
Well, I'm kind of due for an update ... maybe the 70D will offer something more than just an increase in megapixels, for me at least. But looking at the direction Canon has been going with its cameras, I'll probably stick to my brace of 30D's for another two-three years ... and then go micro-four-thirds.

Anyway, whilst y'all going on about low-light and high-ISO performance, I want low-ISO performance ... ISO 50 ... or better yet, ISO 25.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
So you think that 61 point autofocus is important on a 1Dx, but irrelavant on a 70D ???

Troll harder.

You're the one obsessing over the number of points in the autofocus system.

All I've been writing about is the actual performance of the autofocus system.

So Canon used 61 points to create an autofocus system that's faster and more accurate than any other. So what? What matters is that the system is faster and more accurate, not how many points it has.

b&

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »

So why not pay your money (or not) and take your choice, instead of constantly proclaiming Nikon's superiority and more consumer friendly business ethic to the rest of us?

My problem is with Canon's dis-respect of the vast majority of their customers. If it wasn't for xxxD an xxD sales there would be no R&D money to support xD development.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
Anyway, whilst y'all going on about low-light and high-ISO performance, I want low-ISO performance ... ISO 50 ... or better yet, ISO 25.

Um...why?

The 5DIII (I'm not personally familiar with crop cameras) is noise-free at ISO 400. It's just as noise-free at ISO 200 and ISO 100. There's no more noise to be cleaned up, so what's there to be gained by ISO 25?

About the only purpose would be for slower shutter speeds with wide apertures in bright light, but that's what neutral density filters are for -- not to mention, an uncommon and somewhat specialized area of photography where anybody serious about it is already going to know that you can't get good results with low ISO alone.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »

So why not pay your money (or not) and take your choice, instead of constantly proclaiming Nikon's superiority and more consumer friendly business ethic to the rest of us?

My problem is with Canon's dis-respect of the vast majority of their customers. If it wasn't for xxxD an xxD sales there would be no R&D money to support xD development.

And, yet, that vast majority of Canon's customers is bigger than anybody else's vast majority, and happier too.

So you think Canon sucks. We get that. So stop whining about how much Canon sucks and get yourself a Nikon so you can be happy.

Or do you just get a kick out of being the guy who gets all the attention in the room by loudly demanding to know who farted and pointing fingers at your least-favorite people?

b&

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »

You're the one obsessing over the number of points in the autofocus system.

All I've been writing about is the actual performance of the autofocus system.
b&

No, I've been obsessing about the better autofocus of lower-end Nikons vs the lack-luster performance of lower-end Canon models.

Have a nice day :) :) :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »