November 26, 2014, 02:06:16 PM

Author Topic: Confusion about Macro Photography  (Read 2894 times)

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Confusion about Macro Photography
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
Why is it that Macro Photography is all about taking a picture of something which is amazingly small and Macro Economics is about large scale hugemongous economies.  Shouldn't Macro Photography mean that you are taking gigantic pano's in Dubai?

Very confusing!

canon rumors FORUM

Confusion about Macro Photography
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »

Virgil Quick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion about Macro Photography
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
As I remember, the terms macro and micro photography go back to the days of film cameras.  If the close up photographed image of a subject was, on film, the same size as, or smaller than the actual image itself, then it was called macro photography.  In other words, if you took a close up image of an ant and the image size on film was the same size as the ant or smaller than the ant then it was referred to as macro photography.

If, on the other hand,  you took a close up picture of a grain of sand and the lens in use rendered an image size on film that was larger than the actual subject, then it was called micro photography.

Do I remember this correctly?  Don't know how these terms might relate to macro and micro economics.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »
Why is it that Macro Photography is all about taking a picture of something which is amazingly small and Macro Economics is about large scale hugemongous economies.  Shouldn't Macro Photography mean that you are taking gigantic pano's in Dubai?

Very confusing!

Just because you are using a Macro lens does not mean the subject has to be close and small.....

The andromeda galaxy.... The image is unedited from the camera jpg, with the exception of cropping to the center 50% to meet website guidelines. The shot was taken an a very clear night, handheld (with the help of a tree for bracing) with a 60D, F2.8, ISO3200, 10.4 second exposure, no image stabilization, manual focus, and no flash :). All image settings were neutral or camera default.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »

Very confusing!

Just because you are using a Macro lens does not mean the subject has to be close and small.....

Just because you are using a Macro lens does not mean you're doing Macro photography...

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
The definition I've heard is when your subject is reproduced on your recording medium (film or digital sensor) near or at 1:1 or better. So if your subject is 5mm long, it's near or at 5mm long on your recording medium. Or possibly more, so if it's 2:1 magnification, it's 10mm long instead of 5mm.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
The definition I've heard is when your subject is reproduced on your recording medium (film or digital sensor) near or at 1:1 or better. So if your subject is 5mm long, it's near or at 5mm long on your recording medium. Or possibly more, so if it's 2:1 magnification, it's 10mm long instead of 5mm.

That’s the definition that I’ve always heard as well.  Although personally I would open it up slightly with a less formalized definition:  I find when the subject in a photo is bigger than it is in real life, when displayed at its intended size and viewing position, that it takes on a different dimension.  I’m seeing something with more detail and from a different perspective than I can see with my own eyes.  For lack of a more suitable term, I call that macro photography.  Obviously if you project something on a large screen or zoom in 100% you can have it larger than life, but that’s not its intended size and viewing position.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
Wikipedia definitions:
Macro photography (or photomacrography[1] or macrography,[2] and sometimes macrophotography[3]) is extreme close-up photography, usually of very small subjects, in which the size of the subject in the photograph is greater than life size (though macrophotography technically refers to the art of making very large photographs).[2][4] By some definitions, a macro photograph is one in which the size of the subject on the negative or image sensor is life size or greater.[5] However in other uses it refers to a finished photograph of a subject at greater than life size.[6]

Reproduction ratios much greater than 1:1 are considered to be photomicrography, often achieved with digital microscope (photomicrography should not be confused with microphotography, the art of making very small photographs, such as for microforms).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
Thanks everyone!  This came up in table conversation and I just said 'I dont know!'

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »

The andromeda galaxy.... The image is unedited from the camera jpg, with the exception of cropping to the center 50% to meet website guidelines. The shot was taken an a very clear night, handheld (with the help of a tree for bracing) with a 60D, F2.8, ISO3200, 10.4 second exposure, no image stabilization, manual focus, and no flash :). All image settings were neutral or camera default.

That's a fantastic shot of Andromeda for a handheld 10 sec exposure, what was the lens?!
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
Macro photography is about making small things look bigger than they really are.
FF + primes !

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
That's a fantastic shot of Andromeda for a handheld 10 sec exposure, what was the lens?!

Disagreed!  The noise in that image is RIDICULOUS!  Just look at it!

;)  kidding

Agreed, great pic!

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »

Very confusing!

AWESOME reply and AWESOME image.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »