September 20, 2014, 10:13:12 AM

Author Topic: Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto  (Read 8949 times)

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »
I've been looking into tripods / ball heads for the past few weeks, trying to decide which one would suit my needs. This recent thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14209.0  (Help me finalize my tripod & ball head choice) really hit the spot for me. Thanks for those who responded :)

I've decided that the Gitzo GT2541 + RRS BH-40 would suit my needs (max load would be shooting 5D3 with grip + 300mm f4).

This will compliment my existing monopod (Gitzo GM2541 + Manfrotto 496RC2 head).

However, just a question about the quick release plates. Would the plate that fits the RRS BH-40 work on the Manfrotto 496RC2?  I ask because I notice that the RRS plate requires an allen key to attach/remove. While I'm happy to keep this on permanently, that could be an issue if I'm swapping between the mono / tripod. Currently, I have the Manfrotto plate on the 300mm lens, as I use that for birding pic's. A solution could be to have the RRS plate on the camera and leave the Manfrotto plate on the 300mm. But, I know one day, while I'm frantically setting up the tripod, there could be tears..... :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

canon rumors FORUM

Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
No, the Arca Swiss-type plates for the RRS BH-40 (and ballheads from Kirk, Markins, Acratech, and a host of other excellent brands) do not fit on the Manfrotto RC2 clamp.  Manfrotto uses their own plate designs, and they're not even compatible within the brand, let alone outside the brand.  That's one reason I switched from Manfrotto to AS-type plates/clamps.

While some of the Manfrotto heads can be converted to an AS-type clamp with the Wimberley C-12, the 496RC2 isn't one of them.  You could replace the monopod head (with an RRS monopod head, for example, but a Manfrotto 234 tilt head with a Wimberley C-12 is what I used before getting the RRS setup to hold a 600 II), or get the Kirk 'adapter' (link) that has an RC2 compatible base under an AS-type clamp.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
One solution is a plate that fits both.  The company sells two versions.  I'd doubt if either would be great for your lens, but take a look.

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-mini#.UW2GfF3n-Hs

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro#.UW2GU13n-Hs

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
Slightly off-topic but important:
...there are heads/clamps which don't fit between the gripped 5D3 body and the head attachment. I have the 300 f4 and the 70-200 f2.8L2 and know that for instance, my Manfrotto 322 grip head with the RC2 plate will not fit up under the 70-200 because the bulkiness of the battery housing. I have to try the same combo with the 300 but suspect I'd see the same problem. I have an aftermarket grip but I think its shape will not differ too much from the Canon offering.

I am planning a change to all Arca Swiss (AS) camera attachment so am thinking about this right now, too. I plan to adapt all heads to the AS clamps, even retro fitting somehow the AC system on a Manfrotto 410 geared head. I will have to figure out how to replace/adapt the 322 grip, too, but I knew the inability to attach the 70-200 required some new solution, anyway.

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
...there are heads/clamps which don't fit between the gripped 5D3 body and the head attachment. I have the 300 f4 and the 70-200 f2.8L2 and know that for instance, my Manfrotto 322 grip head with the RC2 plate will not fit up under the 70-200 because the bulkiness of the battery housing. I have to try the same combo with the 300 but suspect I'd see the same problem. I have an aftermarket grip but I think its shape will not differ too much from the Canon offering.

I am planning a change to all Arca Swiss (AS) camera attachment so am thinking about this right now, too. I plan to adapt all heads to the AS clamps, even retro fitting somehow the AC system on a Manfrotto 410 geared head. I will have to figure out how to replace/adapt the 322 grip, too, but I knew the inability to attach the 70-200 required some new solution, anyway.

I have an 322RC2 head - the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II + gripped 5D3 (I use the Canon BG-E11 grip) does in fact fit - after installing the RC2 plate to the lens collar, you need to rotate the tripod collar on the lens (ie, as you would if you were shooting vertically), then attach it to the tripod head, and then rotate the lens collar back in place - boom, it fits with your gripped camera.  I had the same issue with my gripped 7D, too.

Regardless, I am very happy to have moved on to the RRS AS-style plate system - big improvement versus the manfrotto RC2 system.
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »

Can't speak to your Manfrotto grip, but the 410's quick release plate is one of the most secure that Manfrotto makes. It comes with a 3/8" stud you can use to connect directly to an arca compatible clamp. I considered cutting off the QR part of the head & bolting a clamp directly to the top plate. There is also a guy on ebay that fabs a plate for this purpose. In the end I just bolted on the clamp to the quick release plate. Couldn't be simpler.

Here's a very cost effective one:

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DAC-01-8-inch-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B005ZLOW8K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366153212&sr=1-1&keywords=desmond
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:11:15 PM by brad-man »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
No, the Arca Swiss-type plates for the RRS BH-40 (and ballheads from Kirk, Markins, Acratech, and a host of other excellent brands) do not fit on the Manfrotto RC2 clamp.  Manfrotto uses their own plate designs, and they're not even compatible within the brand, let alone outside the brand.  That's one reason I switched from Manfrotto to AS-type plates/clamps.

While some of the Manfrotto heads can be converted to an AS-type clamp with the Wimberley C-12, the 496RC2 isn't one of them.  You could replace the monopod head (with an RRS monopod head, for example, but a Manfrotto 234 tilt head with a Wimberley C-12 is what I used before getting the RRS setup to hold a 600 II), or get the Kirk 'adapter' (link) that has an RC2 compatible base under an AS-type clamp.

See, this is why I like this Forum, had no idea, now I do.
I generally don't try to work all this stuff out, so I go all RRS gear and I'm done, but it's just great that some people (neuro) do take the time to work it all out, invaluable info, Thanks Neuro as always.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »

See, this is why I like this Forum, had no idea, now I do.
I generally don't try to work all this stuff out, so I go all RRS gear and I'm done, but it's just great that some people (neuro) do take the time to work it all out, invaluable info, Thanks Neuro as always.
+1. It's one of the most enjoyable forums I've been involved with. With folk like Neuro and Mt Spokane Photography providing excellent feedback, my poor little brain is churning away with ideas :)

And others throwing in feedback, such as jonathan7007 and Dianoda, gives me food for thought. Thanks to all who have responded. Much appreciated :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »

Can't speak to your Manfrotto grip, but the 410's quick release plate is one of the most secure that Manfrotto makes. It comes with a 3/8" stud you can use to connect directly to an arca compatible clamp. I considered cutting off the QR part of the head & bolting a clamp directly to the top plate. There is also a guy on ebay that fabs a plate for this purpose. In the end I just bolted on the clamp to the quick release plate. Couldn't be simpler.

Here's a very cost effective one:

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DAC-01-8-inch-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B005ZLOW8K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366153212&sr=1-1&keywords=desmond

And this I just noticed on one of the other threads in this forum.....
http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_19&products_id=170

:)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
For those of you who have used both, is the RRS / AS any better in terms of grip/security?

Over the years, I have (unintentionally) gotten really deep into RC2 heads, plates, L brackets, etc. but I'm considering ditching the plates and brackets to switch to Arca Swiss / RRS.   The reason is that the RC2 brackets, even fully-locked down still have some movement.  This is really annoying me for macro, product shots, and other work. 

I'm wondering if the AS, particularly the quick release is much better at locking down.  Also, Manfrotto has the extra locking lever - but RRS doesn't.  Is that an issue?
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
The reason is that the RC2 brackets, even fully-locked down still have some movement.  This is really annoying me for macro, product shots, and other work. 

I'm wondering if the AS, particularly the quick release is much better at locking down.  Also, Manfrotto has the extra locking lever - but RRS doesn't.  Is that an issue?

That bit of play when 'locked down' is one main reason I switched from Manfrotto RC2 plates to the AS system.  With the Arca-style plates, locked is locked - the dovetail plate is gripped tightly in the clamp and there's no movement at all. That's true of both screw and lever clamps.

I don't miss the secondary pin on the RC2 clamp. The RRS clamps take positive effort to open, and the lever clamps two-position, so if you have the safety screws on the plate, one lever pull means it can slide along but not out of the clamp.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »
Neuro, thanks for the quick and detailed reply.  That's exactly what I needed to know - looks like it's eBay and RRS shopping time!
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

michaelgalassi

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »
One word of caution, lever action clams are wonderfully quick to use and very solid in their support of your camera, I LOVE my RRS.  They are however very picky about the dimensions of your L-plate dovetail, the RRS clamp will NOT hold a Sunway Photo dovetail firmly, it does however do very nicely with the Kirk components and obviously the RRS ones.  If you have a mixture of plates, I suggest you get the screw type clams such as the Kirk (nice quick action) or RRS's own screw style.  Your mileage may (obviously) vary but you'll love these plates and clamps.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »
One word of caution, lever action clams are wonderfully quick to use and very solid in their support of your camera, I LOVE my RRS.  They are however very picky about the dimensions of your L-plate dovetail, the RRS clamp will NOT hold a Sunway Photo dovetail firmly, it does however do very nicely with the Kirk components and obviously the RRS ones.  If you have a mixture of plates, I suggest you get the screw type clams such as the Kirk (nice quick action) or RRS's own screw style.  Your mileage may (obviously) vary but you'll love these plates and clamps.

RRS used to recommend only their own, Wimberley, and recent Kirk plates for their lever clamps. However, if you look at some of their clamps on their website, there's this notation:

NOTE: Starting in 2012, the Really Right Stuff B2 LR II clamp automatically adjusts to accept all Arca-Swiss style plates except Arca-Swiss P0 Slidefix plates and plates made by Novoflex. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have Novoflex plates.

That's for some of the clamps included with their popular heads, give them a call if it's not clear from the site - they're very helpful.

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »
I've been using a Kirk BH-3 ballhead and mostly Kirk plates since the Canon D60 came out.  I've been very happy with them and never had any problems.  I used Manfrotto quick releases before that (remember the big hexagonal plates?).

The plates go on my cameras and lenses and never come off.  I had to remove the Manfrotto plates all the time.

At the time, I chose Kirk over RRS because with RRS under the original owner you couldn't order online or conveniently use a credit card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »